Brennan JB7 For My Father?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Most of the comments about the Brennan device in this thread have been lukewarm at best. My assessment, having owned one for a week and spent a fair amount of time putting it through its paces, is rather more positive.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first. There have been complaints on other forums about quality issues, and the first JB7 I received had a faulty optical drive. But the people at Brennan were helpful and efficient, and within 4 days I had a replacement machine that works fine.

The second bit of bad news, though it is not really Brennan's fault, is that the MP3 metadata standard is a mess, and is very ill-suited to the needs of people like me who mainly listen to classical music. I expected (1) that the CDDB database included with the Brennan would be hit-and-miss at best, and (2) that I would have to do a lot of manual editing of album and track titles, and experience has fully borne out these expectations. So, while loading CDs into the Brennan is even easier than ripping CDs on a computer, expect do do a bit of work to be able to use the search functions to the full and to see what you want to see on the display. The Brennan does, however, make things rather more straightforward than, say, managing the database in Windows Media Player; it is just a matter of retrieving a simple text file from the player, editing it in Notepad or whatever, and loading it back in the player. This is the only function for which the Brennan needs a computer.

While I am talking about the downside, I ought also to say that I have reservations about Brennan's main selling point, that the device somehow enables you to stop using your CD collection. Frankly, I don't think so. CDs come with information you may want to refer to. Moreover, the primary use of the device for me is the same as that of the MP3 CDs I use in my car - a sequence of albums I can play, jukebox-style, while I am doing other things and don't wish to be managing the music. There are some CDs I shall definitely not want to put in a sequence of that kind. My instinct at the moment is to be a little careful about what I load, and to keep the metadata problem under control as I go along.

The good news is that the sound quality from the Brennan is, to my ears, entirely acceptable. My main audio system comprises a Roksan Kandy CD player, classic Quad (34/606) amplification, Rogers-built LS3/5A speakers and an REL subwoofer. Despite the age of some of the components, this setup always draws favourable comment from visitors, so it is a fairly stern comparison for the Brennan. Played through the system, the Brennan does not fully match what the Roksan player can do (and I would not expect this), but I can happily listen to it for hours without fatigue.

The Brennan is also a very usable device. The controls and menu system are well laid out, and the manual is clear and helpful. The lack of some of the features of other digital music devices (e.g. media streaming over a network) is a positive advantage from my point of view; I am fully computer literate, but I like to keep computing out of my living room.

All in all, I think that the Brennan is a good option for someone who wants the accessibility of digital music in a living room environment and/or as part of an audio setup, but who does not want the different ergonomics and greater complexity of computer-based music. At something over £400 for a 320GB model, it is also reasonable value, certainly when compared with the cost of other components of my audio system.

I hope that this is helpful.

David

A

Anonymous

Absolutely - don't forget it was the "old dogs" that originally invented and developed this technology - it's the young dogs that have come along, tinkered with what they don't really understand the total implications of, that are screwing it up!!

A

Anonymous

The whole Brennan concept is still an interesting one to me.

They are advertised everywhere and proudly claim that they have sold over 10,000 but why is it that no-one (?) or none of the major electronic companies has brought out a similar or better product. I like the idea of having all my cds and mp3s etc on an all in one cd hard disc player. I can see that it may not interest the HiFi buffs as it is relatively cheap but the main consumer market is there for the taking. The only thing wrong with it that I can see is the small display screen compared with main screen of a laptop.Personally I don't think the future is in streaming or in i pod docks but maybe in a 500gb i pad/brennan type device.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
growler said:
.....it is relatively cheap but the main consumer market is there for the taking. The only thing wrong with it that I can see is the small display screen compared with main screen of a laptop.

Your comparison with a laptop screen is probably the wrong one to use. Comparison with an the iPod interface, or with iOS (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad) and Android interfaces may be more relevant.

The Brennan comes actross as too clunky and dated by comparison.

As mentioned earlier, this device is being sold on it's abilty to hold lots of low-resolution compressed music. Many of the target audience are doing that already, using computers and other devices with slicker and more attractive user interfaces.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that the bulk of sales have gone to a non-download era, middle aged audience.

I think you're right, that these type of "music systems" are a future popular market sector, but in a more up-to-date format, as indicated by the likes of the Olive players, the Sooloos and the iPad/iPod interfaces for HiFi streamers; albeit at more mainstream price points.

A

Anonymous

My brother has bought a Brennan and he uses it with some serious high end kit (ATC amps, ATC speakers - big ones, etc). He is delighted with it although uses it only for ripped CD's in WAV format. The issue with the Tag data on the tracks is no different in my experience than some other kit. I had (not past tense) an Olive 4HD and it was in my experience hopeless with identifying tags correctly and a real bummer to edit them. In the end I went to a Sonos/NAS/PC Ripper system as it gives you ultimate control over tracks and naming. Nothing else I have seen appears to give you that control and this is the crux of these 1 box systems. They all seem to fail in some way in the area of control, having there own quirky software set ups, menu's and methods. For a small 1 box solution Brennan is very good at the price, (remember the Olive 4HD is over £2000!). Best ting about it according to my brother is its so small he can pack it in his suitcae and take it on holiday (he has a pair of old Minimus speakers he swears by). I think these boxes are still evolving and seem to be at 2 entireley different ends of the market, Sooloos, Olive etc which are quite simply megabucks for what they do and Brennan at the other. Jools Holland has one by the way

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
sony have actually entered that market with the "gigajuke" .....did see one last year in currys/pc world ... was going to get it for my niece last xmas as it was on sale ... but by teh time i got paid it had gone....

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have suggestions for alternative to the JB7 remote?

My father has one but struggles with the tiny buttons! Are there 'big button' remotes that are compatible?

Thanks..

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to whoever I have ignored only I was, aham, not around for some time. Just so you all know, the project seems to be on hold indefinately. When I told him I'd heard some things that gave me reservations about the Brennan, on top of some reservations I already had, he seemed to go off the idea. He considered it quite pricey anyway.

A

Anonymous

Alec,

I've got a Brennan JB7 and find it excellent! I've got mine paired with a pair of TDL0.75M speakers and it sounds really good! The only fault is the database which is outdated as soon as the unit arrives and it is best to set aside time to manually input them. Other than that there's are no faults and I can reccomend it,

Andy

JohnB

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey there, I have been looking into buying the Brennan Jb7 but was wondering if it's able to record music from an external source. Any feed back would be appreciated.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
JohnB said:
Hey there, I have been looking into buying the Brennan Jb7 but was wondering if it's able to record music from an external source. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Why not just check the manual?
http://www.brennan.co.uk/imagprod/BrennanManual.pdf

...and according to page 28 (which is page 15 in the pdf) the answer is yes.

JohnB

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link Majorfubar! Yes the Brennan Jb7 can record music from external devices and there is a 500gb version which will come in handy for my music collection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts