Brands you dislike-The hi-fi hate thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
They're making these stupid looking saloons, coupes and 4x4's.... It's almost like, "Hey look! You can have this supercar for breaking the speed limit and catching fire on the motorway, and you can have this car for round town - it looks poop, but it's still pedigree under the ugly bonnet!"

Not a clue what you mean
smiley-wink.gif

2751111520481581600x1060.jpg

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
shropshire lad said:
And Hi-Fi shops selling TVs ! ! !

We don't sell TV's :)

Independents selling TV's nowadays is a fast track to bankruptcy.

Aha , you assumed I was talking about you . Correctly as it happened . I made the heinous mistake of lumping home cinemas with TVs . Sorry !

My Hi-f-Fi dealer sells Loewe TVs , though I don't know how close to bankrupcy he is .

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Exactly. Porsche are going the same way as well. They're making these stupid looking saloons, coupes and 4x4's to appeal to those who can afford to have a Ferrari to pose and a more acceptable car for running around in. They know these people will buy them. It's almost like, "Hey look! You can have this supercar for breaking the speed limit and catching fire on the motorway, and you can have this car for round town - it looks poop, but it's still pedigree under the ugly bonnet!"

Anyway, veering off topic... :)

I suppose that's another thing I hate - companies or industries that aren't happy being successful or happy with what they do, they have to encroach on everyone else's too. Like supermarkets selling TV's, newsagents hiring out films, "record stores" selling bottles of pop etc. not great examples, but you get my meaning. That was when the high street started falling apart, probably more so than when the internet arrived.

Not sure I get your thinking there, David.

You dislike companies making different versions of things that sell well and make them money? So you wouldn't sell a Naim owner who already has a great living room system a Unitiqute for a second room? :)

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
F40 ugly? You're joking, right? I'd give my left arm*, and most of the toes on my right foot for one of them, IMHO it's one of Ferrari's classics (wouldn't say no to a 250GTO either). Now if you're talking about ugly, how about one of these? Yeeeurrchhh...

images

*might make it a bit tricky changing gear though :?

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Craig M. said:
You're lucky you live so far away! |( I'd give Diamond Joe's left arm and his entire right foot for one of those...

;)
Now that really would make it difficult to drive... not that I'd have it anyway... exactly what do I get out of this deal?? :?

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
For me it's Samsung, their ethos seems to be make it cheap, make it shiny and bright, then sell it for lots. My experience so far with them leads me to believe that their phones are about the only well made product.

D

Deleted member 2457

Bose and Denon, and I don't like cheap Blu-ray players! Don't like Pure either!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've never been enamoured of the fruit based empire - they reach for their lawyers a bit too often for my taste.

Other then that if a product is good it's good. The name on the outside is irrelevant.

Chris

PS I won't have anything to do with the Murdoch empire either.

Jambalaya

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Never have liked Magnapan loudspeakers. I've heard them in showroom after showroom over the last 30 years and never heard what others obviously hear. I understand they are high quality, but just never have been to my liking, no dynamics, very flat emotionally.

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Any brand that favours esthetics instead of quality and/or forget the primary goal of their products when they design it:

- Apple (Got an ipod years ago based on the positive reviews and it sounded rubbish! My worst purchase by far.. Replaced by a Sony that can only play music, but guess what? That's what an MP3 player is supposed to do, and it does it brilliantly!)

- Beats (Sounds rubbish too... More a fashion accessory than anythign else. There's this guy at my gym who wears this huge pair of cans to work out. Anyone with a bit of sense of practicality would avoid clunky ear warmers for working out, but hey, who am I to judge?!?) :wall:

- Bose (Got a pair of QC15 as a gift - Brillant noise cancelling, but could not compare to my AKG for sound. Also, makes it sounds like you listen to music under water - Sold it after 1 week)

Good look is important and I don't mind paying premium for something that looks AND sounds good (For this, I totally respect B&O, B&W, Linn, Kef, Tannoys). However, I get frustrated when people views are biaised by appearances and accept rubbish gadgets because they look cool!

Wow, that feels better! This thread is almost therapeutic!!! :)

A

Anonymous

Sorry folks I don't get this thread, everything about hifi is completely subjective (despite some mags using all sorts of electrical and aural tests to show some aspect of one product against another) as you make you're mind up with your ears. If you're buying hifi on the basis of aesthetics haven't you missed the point.

All three of the products that make up my set up have been done down by some on here, while they have been praised by others. Together I think they sound great. If others can give me tweaks to make them sound even better then great.

Let's celebrate what we love which is finding the products that a make our music really 'sing'. This forum works best when we offer the benefit of our experiences to each

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I don't think anyone knows what this thread is for anymore.

I like Haloumi cheese. A lot. The low fat one from Sainsbury's is cheaper, and better, than the equivalent one from my local tiny Co-Op.

YMMV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts