Brands you dislike-The hi-fi hate thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
Company Values, I dont like how they sell their products, marketing and BS over real Customer Service and Integrity.

I know they have to make money, but they wont be using any of mine for their profits :wave:

I think you might have just moved in to the, getting sued area. If you are not a customer of AVI how come you know accurately about their customer service? Have you ever heard of any hifi company CEO (?) sorting out a problem for a customer at 2000 hours on a sunday night on a bank holiday weekend? NO I didn't think so.

Try talking about things you know. If you don't like the speakers fine, just don't bad-mouth a company in areas that they ABSOLUTELY don't deserve. :shame:

juxter1

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
This would have been an easier question back in the 80's, try Amstrad, Bush, Goodmans, Pye, Philips (the lower end equipment only), JVC (lower end equipment again).

Now it seems that most companies seem to have a better understanding of electronics so put a bit more thought into designing equipment that works.

Having said that, I simply do not like the sound produced by one very highly praised manufacturer in the UK that begins with a C and ends with a yrus. To my ears it's too brash and bright, although it seems to suit others. It looks good though.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
hoopsontoast said:
Company Values, I dont like how they sell their products, marketing and BS over real Customer Service and Integrity.

I know they have to make money, but they wont be using any of mine for their profits :wave:

I think you might have just moved in to the, getting sued area. If you are not a customer of AVI how come you know accurately about their customer service? Have you ever heard of any hifi company CEO (?) sorting out a problem for a customer at 2000 hours on a sunday night on a bank holiday weekend? NO I didn't think so.

Customer Service - long life support for older products ALA Michell, Rega, ATC etc, No Quibble returns on new items, and also Nice friendly manner, PR (Integrity)

Try talking about things you know. If you don't like the speakers fine, just don't bad-mouth a company in areas that they ABSOLUTELY don't deserve. :shame:

OK, Yes Mum

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It is strangely therapeutic isn't it? Well here are my thoughts on what you said

It feels really nice!

B&W - Love the brand.. Hate CM series floor standers, 686 bookshelf - disaster----thank you, couldn't agree more. I don't know why I still like the brand though. Did the CM series sound flat and lifeless to you too? I was hoping it was the stupid amp the hi-fi dealer was using when I demoed.

Nah.. I wasted precious few years of my HiFi life because of the CM series. well, they are not that bad what I get out of Tannoys at such a lower price makes CM series silly. B&W is great with their subwoofers, 800 series, Zeppelin and the headphones (I hated their ear phones though - poor design as it was too taxing on the ear. Sold it off on 3rd day)

Marantz - PM-11 - Too analytical and clinical for the price----I don't normally associate marantz with clinical but I haven't heard the PM11, its strange they would go for a clinical sound for once.

Yeah.. I know.. I never thought too.. I love their Pearl and Pearl lite.. Brilliant, Brilliant and Birlliant!

Dynaudio - Bass is good but bass is not the only thing. Balance is importnat----I partly agree, I think the Dynaudio's bass is far more liveable than BnW's bass though. I have managed to achieve a great sound by careful positioning on a DM 2/7 but bass heavy partnering equipment does them no favours. If you be patient with them they are crackling speakers for the money.

I am with you on this. Below Focus range, their Bass is not so much but once you cross over and move to Contour (especially with their stands) and confidence, then the bass is there too much, to my taste.

America - Why are you spreading so much fear and what are you afraid of? (There is not even a cold war :? )----Not a hi-fi brand :p but absolutely agreed :)

:rofl: This has to be mentioned.. Almost in any thread ;)

Spotify - Why cant' you put the bit rate number for each track for premium members? (Please correct me if I am wrong)----I believe all premium users get the same bit rate which is 320 kbps.

Yeah.. I am a premium member.. and I am supposted to get 320kbps but unfortunately there is no way to check this, as far as I know. I can enable high bit rate in preferences but that is it. There is no visual indication whether a track is getting played at 320kbps or not.

Bose - Don't get me started----I would love to hear you out on this one

:) You covered most of it. Actually, think of it, I love Bose!

My wife (then a friend) had the Bose Sound dock and made her audition the B&W Zeppelin. She has a very good ear and insteadly she picked the Zeppelin and that is how it all started :) So thank you Bose for making such products ;)

Seems like this could be the start of a beautiful friendship :cheers:

Nice! :cheers:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
juxter1 said:
Having said that, I simply do not like the sound produced by one very highly praised manufacturer in the UK that begins with a C and ends with a yrus. To my ears it's too brash and bright, although it seems to suit others. It looks good though.

If you're ever passing the store, pop in and I'll show you that that view is rather an old one as there products have changed quite a lot since they were on the bright side many years ago, and sold with a particular brand of speakers by a particular chain store which only served to strengthen that view. It's all about system matching and synergy, something that some retailers seems to disregard in favour of profit margins.

:)

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey David, good to see you on this thread....I would love to hear a product that you particularly dislike....I know as a hifi dealer you cant really say bad things about a product....so no pressure.

Best regards,

Shafin

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Alec said:
philipjohnwright said:
We hi-fi folks are our own worst enemies most of the time, with rivalries more intense than a Benn / Eubanks fight (look it up if you're not as old as me!). All it doAn es is invite ridicule from outside, making us more insular and ultimately contributing to the gradual withering of interest in audio.

Why not just agree to differ...

Aye.

An aye from me also. It's hilarious how worked up people get over a box with wires and stuff inside.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Shafin

There are brands I don't like, and I have to add Apple into that - even though I have an iPhone and iPad! I just hate big corporations that have the market sown up, much like Microsoft. And I hate the Apple 'fanboyism' aspect too. Well, I hate the fanboyism in relation to anything really, particularly with the likes of games consoles. Oh, and I hate Ferrari - its like Man U - people support them because everyone else supports them. When was the last good looking Ferrari car? The F40 was a foul looking thing.

As far as hi-fi and home cinema is concerned, I wouldn't say there are brands I hate. There are WHF award winners that I don't think are that special, but again, it's not a hate thing, just personal preference. I never liked the old Pioneer A400 amp, although many did. It is well known that I don't like SCM40's, but again, that's just a personal thing - I love the rest of the range. I didn't like the very first KEF XQ range which was about 10 years ago, and wasnt keen on the first Reference 200 series. I didn't like the Mission 78 series that was out about 10 years ago either. I didn't like MF's A3 and A5 amplifiers - big, powerful, bassy, but that's where it stopped - no involvement are life at all.

There is one product I really don't like, but I can't say on here :)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Now I know you are wrong Dave, the F40 is and was one of the best super cars, Epic car!

F40_wp0_400.jpg

One of my Childhood dream cars, that and the 8ft wide F50 poster I had! F355 was the last Ferrari I like though TBH!

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
Now I know you are wrong Dave, the F40 is and was one of the best super cars, Epic car!

F40_wp0_400.jpg

One of my Childhood dream cars, that and the 8ft wide F50 poster I had! F355 was the last Ferrari I like though TBH!

Countach. Lamborghini. Gorgeous. And that ....is as far as my car chat goes. No idea how it drives etc, but fell in love first time I saw one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:

F40_wp0_400.jpg

I'm sorry, but it may have looked ok when they released it looks like a kit car. The spoiler is stupid, as is the side skirting. It looks like they took a 308 (which looks much better), and modernised it with extra bits, in the process making it a look that was out of date rather quickly. If you gave me one, I'd refuse it. Or I'd paint it pink and enter it in a stock car race.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If you gave me one, I'd refuse it. Or I'd paint it pink and enter it in a stock car race. David[/b] @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi.[/b]

Yes David, of course you would. :roll: [/b]

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
relocated said:
If you gave me one, I'd refuse it. Or I'd paint it pink and enter it in a stock car race. David[/b] @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi.[/b]

Yes David, of course you would. :roll:[/b]

Not really, I said that for comedic value. Although there are such big Ferrari fans out there, it'd be tempting just to see the looks on their races.

Of course, I'd sell it, and buy a Lamborghini LP400 or LP400S instead.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
eggontoast said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
When was the last good looking Ferrari car?
I know this one, the 250_GTO from 1964 what do I win.

Spot on eggontoast! Along with the slightly less good looking Dino, I'm failing to think of a really good looking Ferrari that has been made since. The 308 comes closest, but that was still 30 years ago!
Ferrari California I think, but to be fair the looks seem to be making a comeback....check out the 456 for example. Jeremy Clarkson said that we think Ferraris are good looking because they are Ferraris, much like Apple products seem cool because they are from Apple

John Duncan

Paul Hobbs said:
F40 said:
F40 not understand puny human concept of looking good. F40 only understand eating race track. And 80's music.

Funny.

Now, I tend to think that most Ferraris look good. But, on walking to my BiL's girlfriend's flat in Kensington at the weekend, walked past a Ferrari garage and there was one of these in the window:

ferrari-ff-1.jpg

Not only did it look like a cross between an old Alfa and a Reliant Scimitar, it cost nigh on three. hundred. thousand.pounds. What the EDITED is *that* all about?!?!?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Funny.

Now, I tend to think that most Ferraris look good. But, on walking to my BiL's girlfriend's flat in Kensington at the weekend, walked past a Ferrari garage and there was one of these in the window:

ferrari-ff-1.jpg

Not only did it look like a cross between an old Alfa and a Reliant Scimitar, it cost nigh on three. hundred. thousand.pounds. What the EDITED is *that* all about?!?!?

Exactly. Porsche are going the same way as well. They're making these stupid looking saloons, coupes and 4x4's to appeal to those who can afford to have a Ferrari to pose and a more acceptable car for running around in. They know these people will buy them. It's almost like, "Hey look! You can have this supercar for breaking the speed limit and catching fire on the motorway, and you can have this car for round town - it looks poop, but it's still pedigree under the ugly bonnet!"

Anyway, veering off topic... :)

I suppose that's another thing I hate - companies or industries that aren't happy being successful or happy with what they do, they have to encroach on everyone else's too. Like supermarkets selling TV's, newsagents hiring out films, "record stores" selling bottles of pop etc. not great examples, but you get my meaning. That was when the high street started falling apart, probably more so than when the internet arrived.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
John Duncan said:
Funny.

ferrari-ff-1.jpg

Anyway, veering off topic... :)

I suppose that's another thing I hate - companies or industries that aren't happy being successful or happy with what they do, they have to encroach on everyone else's too. Like supermarkets selling TV's, newsagents hiring out films, "record stores" selling bottles of pop etc. not great examples, but you get my meaning. That was when the high street started falling apart, probably more so than when the internet arrived.

And Hi-Fi shops selling TVs ! ! !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts