Box swappers

I'm sat listening to my turntable, relaxing, tinternetting, boozing, etc and I'm wondering what box I would swap next in my system, and I can't think of one single thing that I'd swap!

I used to like browsing eBay and gumtree etc, looking for bargains, but now, I'm utterly lost on what I would buy as an upgrade?

Im tempted by musical fidelity amps, for some more oompfh, but I'd miss the Leema if I got rid of it!

I like taking a risk on new boxes, but I am so happy with everything right now, I don't feel the urge to change anything!

I

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
as a result of looking at classic equipment on ebay but I'm most happy with my naim cd5 cd player, one previous owner, stunning condition and at around half the price of a new one.

*music2*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I'm sat listening to my turntable, relaxing, tinternetting, boozing, etc and I'm wondering what box I would swap next in my system, and I can't think of one single thing that I'd swap! 

I used to like browsing eBay and gumtree etc, looking for bargains, but now, I'm utterly lost on what I would buy as an upgrade? 

Im tempted by musical fidelity amps, for some more oompfh, but I'd miss the Leema if I got rid of it!  

I like taking a risk on new boxes, but I am so happy with everything right now, I don't feel the urge to change anything! 

I

No one really has to swap.boxes or even upgrade its just an interest or something to do.

If not this it will be something else.

bigfish786 said:

My sentiments indeed.

I've had a hankering, though, for a retro Pioneer amp, but age and reliability puts a block on that. Something like this.

But no, more than happy with my current bundles.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
bigfish786 said:

My sentiments indeed.

I've had a hankering, though, for a retro Pioneer amp, but age and reliability puts a block on that. Something like this.

nice I like retro . There some nice old retro marantz , pioneer , Yamaha ,on the bay I often look at it myself . I kind of think the box swapping thing has to happen until you find the sound that's spot on for you but unfortunately it costs to get it right it's ok if your lucky and get it right the first time but often it's hit and miss . I am happy now with what I've got the last thing I have to get is a really good TT and I am done .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
eventually I want ro add a SME 309 to my technics, an external power supply and a few other upgrades. I know the new model is available soon but mine is of original vintage and absolutely mint.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

I think I've reached peak hi-fi stuff! I'd only change to downsize i.e. get the sameish sound quality but more functionality per square centimetre. In fact over the next year or so I'm looking to offload most of my surplus ... the trouble is deciding what to keep *unknw*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Amazing thread - all these people think they have reached the pinnacle of sound reproduction in the homes, fair play - while I would love to feel like that for financial reasons I just know its not remotely true and that is the driving force for improvement for me at least

However I dont think box swopping is necessarily the way to go and doesnt have to be a area of focus or change. If you like what you have got why not work on making it sound the absolute best it can. This is actually more intersting and fun than box swopping as well.

For me it starts with the box you sit in where there is normally no attention to details paid despite it being the most important box and then works from there

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
You like wibble wobble with your wow and flutter then? :)

:D

I hardly listen to it TBH. It's just a bit of fun to play a record every now and then.

Despite only having a Shure M44G cartridge, a Behringer PP400 phone stage and a reasonably sturdy but still less than ideal table to put it on it still sounds nice. It's far better than you'd expect under the circumstances. I don't doubt that it could be improved if I threw lots of money at it but at the moment when I listen to a record I just think that this sounds good and doesn't need to be changed. I don't notice any 'wibble wobble' either, even if I give the table a light tap while playing a record.

Realistically I'd be more likely to upgrade my headphones than the turntable. But again I'm happy with the HD700 so probably won't. Even if I did upgrade them I would have to find a hifi shop that stocks all of the main high-end models and would allow me a few hours to compare them all before making a choice. That's probably not going to happen any time soon, if ever at all.

The last upgrade that I made (O2 DAC/amp to NJC DAC/amp) was purely a cosmetic one. The O2 worked and sounded perfect but I wanted something with a bit of visual bling and bomb proof build quality as well.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

+1

My main method of music listening is digital files streamed to the DM10 2.1 stystem. For me this is perfect and I've already found the holy grail so there's no chance of this being changed.

All of my other hifi equipment (the record player and head-fi part) is just hifi for the sake of it. It's owning and using hifi equipment as a hobby because it's fun. These were all bought second hand too so they're also an investment. If ever I want to sell the record player or head-fi I should get back what I paid for them.

lindsayt said:
plastic penguin said:
My sentiments indeed.

They really are lovely amps, those big old Pioneers.

Cor, not many... absolutely gorgeous. Because of the age, regardless of how well it might have been looked after, it's still a hefty risk.

Moreover, I think if a delivery company knocked at the door clutching that brute I'm pretty sure Mrs. P would lay an egg... and I would have to count all my fingers afterwards.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The example you linked to would be a risk of less than £440. Even if it stopped working it'd still be worth something as "spares or repair".

Would your Mrs lay an egg if you explained that it cost £440 and that you'd sell the Leema Pulse for £600 and would split the profit from your amplifier trading with her?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
How about starting a second system. I'm lucky in that my house can accommodate two. It means I can swap existing components around and the systems sound different in either room.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
How about starting a second system. I'm lucky in that my house can accommodate two. It means I can swap existing components around and the systems sound different in either room.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
eventually I want ro add a SME 309 to my technics, an external power supply and a few other upgrades. I know the new model is available soon but mine is of original vintage and absolutely mint.

If ever you decide to sell your Technics please let me know and I might be interested in buying it. :)

Mine is in 'almost mint' condition but if ever the opportunity comes up to get an 'absolutely mint' one I would jump at the chance.

rainsoothe

I just swapped mine: UQ2 to NacN 172XS, Nap100 to 200, Focal Aria 906 to Spendor S3E. Totally worth it, even if it meant a huge dent for my wallet's capabilities :p

And yes, if I did have money to spend, I would audition gear non-stop. If only Jadis tube amp wouldn't need so much space...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
It would take a lot of dosh to upgrade what I've got now, Accuphase pre/power, Burmester 061 CDP and perhaps PMC Fact 12 or some Magico's!, so it's a good job I'm content with my lot for the time being.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

lindsayt said:
The example you linked to would be a risk of less than £440. Even if it stopped working it'd still be worth something as "spares or repair".

Would your Mrs lay an egg if you explained that it cost £440 and that you'd sell the Leema Pulse for £600 and would split the profit from your amplifier trading with her?

Fair points, assuming I could get £600 for the Leema. Without question these old amps were IMHO proper amps/boys toys... big knobs and a sea of switches.

I owned the Pioneer SA-706 for around 17 years and never thought about changing. Not saying over that period that it was sonically great, but it was the complete package: Looks, dancing VU meters, loads of inputs etc etc. and all for reasonable money.

The problem is whether it would marry well with the PMCs or not. And still the nagging doubt of reliability.

TRENDING THREADS