Bowers And Wilkins 683 Issue...

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have an Arcam A 19 to play my bowers and wilkins 683 through a chord carnival screen. I use a chameleon Rca Vee3 from my cyrus cd 6 se.

The issue is with some songs not all9 Say 4/10 songs as i take the volume over 50 on my arcam there is a noise from the speakers both chanels,

its a high frequency and comes from tweeter its not all the time but at a certain part of music, specaillt if there is a tight high frequency.

The B&W are 200 watts per speaker. Arcam is 50 watt per channel into 8 ohms and the issue starts if the volume is at 50 or more on my arcam which is about 50 percent.

All the equipment is Brand new except the cdp. I dont think cdp can be a reason( not logical).

What could it be... I use bana plugs at back of the arcam. and cables are bare wire on speaker side. Speker side is defilnetly well tightened up. Bananas could be an issue. may not bre gripping all the strands thats all i acan think of.

Amp and speakers are more than minimum 100 hours run in already. 150 + by my calculation actually. i noticed the problem 3 days back. before that i never took the volume over a 50 on Arcam A 19. :poke: Its bothering me like this...

Help and Thanks in Advacne... Regulars and Regulators...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The 200w for the speakers is how much they can handle, not really an indication of what power the amp needs to have.

Most amps these days are hitting their max at about halfway, so I suspect the amp is clipping. You are trying to get more volume but hitting the maximim the amp can provide without distorition.

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The amp itself goes upto 100 and i think it should not clip at 50 .

also the noise is not an amp clipping. The music keeps on playing but the tweeter on certain notes after that volume makes an additional cracking sot of a sound...

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
If it's only happening at high volumes I suspect it's the amplifier clipping. Other than that it's worth taking the amp back to the dealer/Arcam to get it checked.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't confuse clipping with overheating the amp. Overheating the amp by overdriving it would cause it to cut out, clipping wouldn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

It seems to be a common design that max volume is around the halfway mark in modern amps. This is with high voltage sources (CD players, etc.). The amp has that extra play on the volume dial for sources like record players which start at a lower volume to begin with. Depending on the CD you might be able to to up to 2/3 or 3/4 or the way around before it starts clipping, provided they play at a low volume. Many of my older CDs are like this. Conversely, many modern discs mastered in this louder is better age will clip far sooner. The worse offenders might even be doing it before you hit half way.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
B&W's 683 specifications state the minimum impedance drops to 3 Ohms (nominal 8 Ohms).

That is quite a demanding load and I would suggest you need a much more powerful amp or much less demanding speakers (especially as you seem to enjoy playing music loud).

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
From sterephile review of the arcam A19.

Arcam's FMJ A19 shouldn't be used for driving loads much below 6 ohms at high levels, but that is a sensible compromise made to keep its price affordable. Other than that caveat, the A19's measured performance is excellent.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/arcam-fmj-a19-integrated-amplifier.

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for you answers. So to get things straight.

1. Its does not clip as the amp keeps playing even at higer volumes even when the noise starts to come at around 50.

2. Its not heat either, i have tried it many times and some times the system isnt even switched on for 3 mins.

Yes the 683 go upto 3 ohm may be 2 but that sould allow it to clip. I agree this does not happen with all recordings.

Buy why a crackling sparkle from the tweeter both of them.

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I think in both clipping and cutting off the sound should just stop.

Wherein in this case it keeps playing with mids and low frequecy perfectly deleiverd even after 50 51 52 53 54 55 56...

I am bugged...

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
atishaysingh said:
I think in both clipping and cutting off the sound should just stop.

No, these are different.

Clipping occurs at high volumes when the amplifier is unable to drive sufficient power into the speakers to match the input signal. It can be caused by the output drivers hitting the supply rails, insufficient current carrying capability of the drivers, or inability of the drivers to slew the output voltage fast enough. It introduces distortion, typically high frequency. It can lead to speakers overheating, potentially damaging the voicecoils.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think you are frying your tweeters with this abuse. You are pushing the amp ever louder each time and maintaining that if music keeps playing then the crackling cannot be due to clipping.

(Given that these speakers have a sensitivity of 90dB, I can't imagine what it's doing to your ears let alone your system!)

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks that seems understandable... because the sound is crackling and feels as if a a tiny metal ball is vigiorusly smashing agaist twweter walls on both speakers.

Any more light on this particular point guys ID what are your thoughts...

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Ironical... A low poer amp can damage the speakers at high volumes... wherein the speakers can handle a higher pwer amp an can also go much louder... i would hate if thats the case...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
atishaysingh said:
Ironical... A low poer amp can damage the speakers at high volumes... wherein the speakers can handle a higher pwer amp an can also go much louder... i would hate if thats the case...

Yes of course, its distortion rather than power that does the damage.

Viking

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't think your amp is an ideal match (power wise) to the speakers. They do need quite a lot to drive them. I've got a pair of 683's as well and am using them with a Nad C365BEE which is rated 80 watts per chanel. Even this amp only just copes with these speakers at high levels! Will probably end up getting something in the region of 150 watts.....................would drive them a lot better. Remember, more watts doesn't mean you have to listen to your music louder, it's all about what's going to put your speakers to work. Think of your 50 watt amp running as fast as it can to keep up to 200 watts. It'll get knackered quickly, whereas a 150 watt amp (for instance) will be lightly jogging to manage the 200 watts.

Hope this helps.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
You must be playing in a large room or playing really loud. I have the A19 amp. Paired with Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers and even when I play so loud that I can hardly stay in the room I dont have any distortion problems even playing at 60 on the volume setting.

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Only possibility that monitor audios do not drop down to 3 ohms as mine do. I mean thats what is categorically mentioned at all forums and company website for 683.

atishaysingh said:
Only possibility that monitor audios do not drop down to 3 ohms as mine do. I mean thats what is categorically mentioned at all forums and company website for 683.

MAs are a good match with Arcam, but they will need high quality amplification to really hear them at their best. Although I really like Arcam, think the volumes you play at a different amp will be required: Roksan Kandy, Naim (very powerful at 50 watts), Creek or Rotel midrange amps.

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ketan,

I live in india dont know how prompt and correct that is going to be. Also wanted to check with you that can it happend because B&W 683 drop down in impedance to 3 ohms. I mean it produces a crackling sound as if something is tearing aprat and its sharp from both tweeters. Not in all songs though.

Kindly suggest what it could be. I am really bother ed since last 4 days beacuse of this.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps you could look at a second hand FMJ A22 or A32, then when funds allow add the matching power amp. Should have plenty of current to keep your speakers happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts