Bose QuietComfort 15

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm after something to put behind a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones. My house is far from a perfect environment for listening to music, so Grado's etc, are out, (although I might get some SR80i headphones to listen to when the kids are asleep!) I understand that the QC 15s can sound rather bright, so what I want is a CD player that will make a good partner. I just need a CD player and some headphones, and possibly a headphone amp. The Marantz SA7003 claims to have a high-quality headphone out, but would this sound better than a CD6003 and a Graham Slee Novo? I don't own any SACDs, so the CD6003 would be fine from that point of view. How good is the headphone out on the SA7003 likely to be?

idc

Hi. Your thread title suggests a question about the Bose, but you are more interested in an amp. i would repost the question in the main hifi section of the forum asking for amp recommendations including specifically about using headphones.

I do not think the the Bose sound bright. My experience of them is that they have the Bose sound where the bass, middle midrange and higher treble sound great, but something is lacking in-between. So they are not bright as in over emphasising the treble. They do have a forward sound which is detailed and compared to headphones tuned for DJs and bass, they may sound bright, but they are much better.

My guess regarding the amps is that the integrates will sound so similar, you need not worry and sound go with price, reviews, style and connectivity.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info - you're right, it's probably the amp more than the headphones that I'm interested in. However, I read somewhere in the last couple of days that the Bose cancel noise, not sound - meaning that they will minimise any constant noises (an aeroplane or car engine, for example) but not intermittent sounds (e.g. speech). If I'm just sitting in a room with the TV on what kind of reduction am I likely to get from these sounds? (Obviously it's not just me in the room - oftentimes my partner wants to watch the TV whilst I'd prefer to listen to some music). Should I just get a big pair of closed-back Audio Technica cans and turn up the volume, or move to a bigger house with a soundproofed listening room! I get the feeling that I'm expecting more of the Bose than they're capable of. Any advice would be much appreciated.

idc

Closed backed cans with no noise reduction will isolate you fine from TV noise. The main complaint is more likely that you are disturbing others with the noise from your headphones. By repute, the AKG K271 MkII leak the least amount of sound. Since they are more padded than my K44s, they are likely to provide you with a high level of isolation.

One disadvantage of the Bose is that they only work with noise reduction on. Other NR headphone such as the Goldring NS1000 work as closed backed as well as NR headphones.

My experience of the Bose is that they worked well in a couple of auditions in an Apple shop with background music and people talking.

I would avoid closed backed cans and upping the volume as a fear for your ears!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks indeed, some very useful points to consider, particularly about not ruining my hearing! Thanks especially for the heads-up about the AKG K271 MkII headphones, I think they're just what I'm after - and it looks like I can pick up a pair for about £100 (given that you've just saved me nearly £200, if we ever meet then remind me that I owe you a beer). From what I've read on the AKG website it looks like they're designed to be used to keep outside noise out, and headphone noise in - perfect. I know there are a lot of in-ear isolating headphones, but there's just something so psychologially comforting about wearing a chunky pair of cans that music wouldn't seem the same without them - hope that doesn't reveal some dark Freudian issue lurking in my subconscious! Many thanks idc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts