Bose AM10 Speakers - Which Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am having an extension built to incorporate a home cinema 3D system. I have already decided to go for Bose AM10 speakers but cannot decide on an Amp. I have a budget of up to about £800 so was thinking either an Onkyo SR608 or the new (as yet unreleased) Denon AVR2311. I currently have a Denon AVR1707 which has served me very well but the Onkyo looks so much better value for money. Should I go for the Onkyo based on its price or will the performance of the Denon justify the approximate £350 extra. Please help! Thanks

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
If you're thinking of buying the Bose speakers, I assume you actually have a budget of £1600 - in which case you could do a lot better with a complete rethink (you won't find many Bose fans on here!) If you want style speakers, I'd audition the Kef KHT2005.3 or the B&W M-25, perhaps with the Denon 2311, if you're sold on 3D.

Yamaha & Denon should partner well with Bose. Also check Yamaha RX-V2065. But definitely audition the setup before you make a purchase.

As mentioned, you can get better sound with alternative speakers, but if you prefer the looks & size of the Bose as compared to the alternatives & are happy with Bose sound after comparing with alternatives, go for it.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

If you just wanted the ease of a whole Bose system it might might, be worth it. But as you are already up for looking at separates, i would agree, try some different setups. I have the Onkyo 608 and the Kef's mentioned above and really am over the moon with both. If i had your budget though id look at the Kef 3005's and the B&W's mentioned above. I assume your reason for the bose speakers is asthetics?

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I would also be inclined to rethink the balance of your spend between the speakers and the amplifier. In my experience the law of diminishing returns cuts in much lower on sources than it does on speakers. Put another way, an £800 set of speakers won't be able to deliver the best an £800 amp can put out.

For example you could pick up a Sony 2400es amp for c£400 leaving £1200 which is almost enough for a Monitor Audio Radius HD10 package and easily enough to get some MA R90/R180 speakers with a BK Electronics subwoofer.

Lots of other options in speakers and amps at those sort of price levels. If you're wedded to the Bose system you could go up to the AM15.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts