JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have a view on what makes music sound best (without going illegal of course...).

It's red wine, much better than beer which doesn't cut the mustard.

By the way it's been a very eventful night so far too.

I cut my finger on a very sharp serated Sabatier whilst cooking lamb kebabs and it's been bleeding somewhat. AND...

a cat has been peeing on our kitchen floor almost every night, we've been through about 10 infrared cat door collars so it has cost all in about £200 so far and the damn thing keep breaking. Anyway I switched the manual setting to 'let in, but you can't get out' and caught it tonight. Being a cat lover with 2 cats who I adore, this put me in a quandry, but decided that a few smacks would scare it off. Is that wrong?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure with enough booze even Arcam gear would sound good
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Ajani:I'm sure with enough booze even Arcam gear would sound good
emotion-2.gif

Red wine has the adverse affect with Arcam gear. Apparently they recommend ecstasy.

A

Anonymous

I have moved to beer tasting nghts at home. Over the last few weeks I've bought every type of beer Tescos has to offer and sat at home getting largered up in the name of culture.

My fav is still Duvel which is superb once you work up the alc content. Unfortunately finished beers early yesterday so,after 6 bottles ysterday, had to move on to the Chenin Blanc stash.

Forced myself to only have 1 bottle as I'm at work this morning and here I am...no hangover and up before the alarm. All things in moderation - even the grape and the grain- and all will be well
emotion-2.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cheeky so & so's re Arcam haha :)

I agree with you Joel; a nice bottle of Flurie or a decent Chteau Musar/Chateneauf du Pape makes for quality listening and relaxing!

With regards to the cat; smacking doesnt work TBH; they dont record it as they just see it as a tap; spraying water on their behind is a very good deterant! that sticks in their mind!

We've issues with a bullying ginger tom near to us as out kitten is only 23weeks old and he keeps on getting beaten up :(

I managed to collar the ginger tom (hes a lovely cat TBH but he's male and its territorial) but its my back garden and my kitten so the tom got a liberal dousing with the cold water spray. He hasnt been in the back garden since!

A

Anonymous

My o/h's uni have nothing better to do with all their professors and stuff and did a study on types of wine and music. in fact i think Clare posted a thread about it on here some months back.

Would certainly agree that red wine is much better than beer for listening to music.

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:My o/h's uni have nothing better to do with all their professors and stuff and did a study on types of wine and music. in fact i think Clare posted a thread about it on here some months back.Would certainly agree that red wine is much better than beer for listening to music.

I concur. Though I seriously can't understand how it is possible for any improvement to be had on what I'm hearing now, sober as a daisy.

T

the record spot

Cat smacking wrong? Yes, sorry but it's not a behavioural change attempt that's going to work. See also "rubbing nose in it". We had an infra-red cat collar once and discovered another cat in the same street also had one, when we saw it in our kitchen. Never used the infra-red again again and put it on manual to let our cat out but not back in again until he came to the window.

Drink of choice - a good pint of 80/-, or Orkney Dark Island which is arguably one of the best beers out there. Sometimes a cuppa and sometimes coffee. Depends, preference is for beer. Wine? Occasionally, but can't be bothered having to refill...!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Cheeky so & so's re Arcam haha :)

I agree with you Joel; a nice bottle of Flurie or a decent Chteau Musar/Chateneauf du Pape makes for quality listening and relaxing!

With regards to the cat; smacking doesnt work TBH; they dont record it as they just see it as a tap; spraying water on their behind is a very good deterant! that sticks in their mind!

We've issues with a bullying ginger tom near to us as out kitten is only 23weeks old and he keeps on getting beaten up :(

I managed to collar the ginger tom (hes a lovely cat TBH but he's male and its territorial) but its my back garden and my kitten so the tom got a liberal dousing with the cold water spray. He hasnt been in the back garden since!

You like the Musar, Dan (still amazing that they have only missed one crop I think over 50 years plus with war happening over the top of the vineyard)? I was a little disappointed. You can't beat CDP for value for money though.

A

Anonymous

Punishing a cat? Well the water spray works well. An alternative, used to train our kitten, is to pick it up so that they face you and then blow hard into it's face. Then do it again and again. Whenever it misbehaves, do the same. Works a treat! Failing that, have a bucket of water ready at the back door, but wait until it's not freezing.

T

the record spot

Octopo:What does an infra-red cat collar do?

It works to release the cat flap so only a cat wearing the right collar can get in. Clever, but not that clever. In our case anyway!

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
fast eddie:My o/h's uni have nothing better to do with all their professors and stuff and did a study on types of wine and music. in fact i think Clare posted a thread about it on here some months back.Would certainly agree that red wine is much better than beer for listening to music.

I concur. Though I seriously can't understand how it is possible for any improvement to be had on what I'm hearing now, sober as a daisy.
that's because everything's better when your drunk. that extra pizza, mixing your drinks, ideas about inviting every one over for a party etc. You obviously just 'feel the music more' (or something)

A

Anonymous

the record spot: Orkney Dark Island which is arguably one of the best beers out there. Mmmmm i do like the orkney (and Atlas Beers). the Raven and Nimbus are firm favorites now.

T

the record spot

Skullsplitter is another of the Orkney Brewery's which should be tried at least once in life.

It's well named too...first time I saw it, they only sold it in half points and for about £1.20 at that. This was about 1993, so it was a hefty premium at the time. Think it's about 8.5% or so, so steady on the pints with that one!

A

Anonymous

do you know anywhere the serves them? I only discovered them on a weekend up to newtonmore/cawdor, but since then have found them in partick morrisons and silverburn tesco but no pubs.

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:do you know anywhere the serves them? I only discovered them on a weekend up to newtonmore/cawdor, but since then have found them in partick morrisons and silverburn tesco but no pubs.

If you're willing to travel my local does, will include skull repair and breakfast for only £25.

A

Anonymous

where's you local?

Are you a glasgow/edinburgh person? I can remember a few folks like The Record Spot are up this way, but can't remember many others.

A

Anonymous

Manchester. Any hifi lover is welcome to split his skull in my home anytime however.

A

Anonymous

andyb190: Forced myself to only have 1 bottle as I'm at work this morning and here I am...no hangover and up before the alarm. All things in moderation - even the grape and the grain- and all will be well
emotion-2.gif

Spoke too soon. Really jaded by noon and still fuzzy now. More fatigue (4 hrs sleep) than alcohol but it may have contributed a little
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

given it was 6 bottles of beer and one of wine (or did i read that wrongly) i'm not surprised. I'm so out of practice i feel rubbish after 2 pints! Wine fares slightly better though.

T

the record spot

fast eddie:do you know anywhere the serves them? I only discovered them on a weekend up to newtonmore/cawdor, but since then have found them in partick morrisons and silverburn tesco but no pubs.

Edinburgh: The Guildford Arms usually has an Orkney Dark Island on the go and occasionally Raven Ale and the Dragonhead Stout. Once in a blue moon the Skullsplitter.

I think also the Sheep's Heid in Duddingston Village, in fact, I heard it was called Sheep's Heid Ale or the like, and brewed especially by Orkney. Not yet tried it but as it's just round the corner from me....

TRENDING THREADS