Bookshelfl speakers for Cyrus 6 system

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Recently purchased Cyrus 6XP and 6SE2 on stonking deal for £1200 brand new. They are currently partnered with some aged Mission 780 speakers (vintage circa 2002). While I quite like the sound, aim looking at potential upgrades. The listening room is quite small, and the speakers would be between 10-20cm from a (boast) wall on sand-filled Atacama SE24 stands. Listen to all types of music. Recommendations welcome. Have seen some MS Mezzo 1s for sale at around £220 and read a review of them in Hi-Fi World, suggesting they are voiced to work well close to a wall. Any views on whether these would sound any better or am I aiming too low on the upgrade path?

A

Anonymous

That's a good buy indeed; well done
smiley-cool.gif

IMO you're aiming too low speaker wise; midrange (i.e. M/A RX1's at a minimum should be considered although the likes of B&W 685's would work well).

It'd be handy to know what music you generally listen to; what your budget is, whether you'lll consider 2nd hand speakers as well as new speakers and also what speaker cable/interconnects you will be using?

The Cyrus 6XP is a lovely amp; even with 'noly' 40W of power it'll drive most speakers very well indeed

I've heard the 6XP with Spendor A1's, B&W CM5's and 685's, Monitor Audio RX1's, RX2's and GS10's, PMC DB1i's, Neat Motive 3's, Dali Mentor Menuets (gorgeous little speakers) and QUAD 12L2's

My favourite out of the lot were the B&W CM5's, Monitor Audio RX2's and GS10's and the PMC DB1i's BUT all of the above sounded fantastic; just the latter sounded the best with my taste in music (electronica, some oldies stuff like Dean Martin and jazz etc...)

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't partner Cyrus with Monitor Audio unless you like brightness, plus anything from their RX range is going to boom like mad that close to a wall.

A second hand pair of ATC SCM7s might fit the bill if you can find a pair for around £300, they don't pop up often though. Also consider some Spendor S3e if you can find some,

A

Anonymous

Oh rubbish!

Sick of people slating the M/A speakers. The RX range isnt as anywhere near as bright as the RS range was; in fact it's hell of a lot smoother now

The 6XP and 8XP amps (and I've heard both with a lot of the M/A speakers) sound brilliant with no brightness/harshness at all as long as the right cables/interconnects are used (i.e. no silver such as QED etc...)

It's for the OP to decide at the end of the day so demo's are needed but I'm sure they'll soon see how good the RX range of the Monitor Audio speakers sound.

A

Anonymous

In my opinion Monitor Audio speakers are some of the brightest, most fatiguing speakers around. And i have heard plenty of them in my time. Thats my opinion based on my own experiences, if that's ok with you Hifilover?

A

Anonymous

Youve not heard them with the right electronics then!

Your blatent diss doesnt help the OP; if you explained that it's in your opinion and that the OP should maybe demo at least to rule out; it may make your posts easier to comprehend!
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
Oh rubbish!

Sick of people slating the M/A speakers. The RX range isnt as anywhere near as bright as the RS range was; in fact it's hell of a lot smoother now

The 6XP and 8XP amps (and I've heard both with a lot of the M/A speakers) sound brilliant with no brightness/harshness at all as long as the right cables/interconnects are used (i.e. no silver such as QED etc...)

It's for the OP to decide at the end of the day so demo's are needed but I'm sure they'll soon see how good the RX range of the Monitor Audio speakers sound.

I agree with you mate...I have heard both the 6XP and 8XP amps & CD Players with Spendor A5 and MA RX6 speakers......the new RX speakers sounded brilliant with the Cyrus equipment....not the slightest hint of harshness at all.

matthewpiano

I have to say, I don't find MA speakers bright. I find them one of the best balanced brands of speaker at reasonable prices, although I will agree that the RX range do need plenty of space around them to avoid some bass boom - particularly the RX2. Not heard MA with Cyrus though so couldn't comment on that combination.

I'm not really a great Cyrus fan, but I once heard some of their electronics sounding spellbindingly good with some Vienna Accoustics floorstanders on the end. That would mean a much larger speaker budget though.

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
It'd be handy to know what music you generally listen to; what your budget is, whether you'lll consider 2nd hand speakers as well as new speakers and also what speaker cable/interconnects you will be using?

Music I generally listen to is pretty diverse - anything from opera to heavy metal. A lot of listening is singer/songwriter and orchestral, though.

Budget - up to £600, and happy to go second hand if necessary.

Speaker cable - Van Damme 2.5 Hifi speaker cable, Van Den Hul Hybrid Mk III interconnext.

hifilover1979 said:
My favourite out of the lot were the B&W CM5's, Monitor Audio RX2's and GS10's and the PMC DB1i's BUT all of the above sounded fantastic; just the latter sounded the best with my taste in music (electronica, some oldies stuff like Dean Martin and jazz etc...)

All sound interesting to add to audtion list, but think some may be a bit big for listening room. Thanks for some interesting suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts