Bookshelf to Satellite

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My current system consists of Wharfedale Diamond 9 series with an old REL Q50 sub. I am thinking of selling them off and replace with style speaker package. I remember MS Genie 5.1 was product of the year 2004 and now it only receives 3 stars with "Time hasn't been kind to our old friend". Is it really that bad?

I have few system in my mind:

- MS Alumni 5.1

- MS Genie 5.1

- Audio Pro Allroom 5.1 (Walnut finish)

- B&W MT-25 (if budget permits)

Am I going to benefit from my current system or this is considered downgrade more than upgrade? If no I would stick back to bookshelf type. This is mainly for movies purpose and music sometimes, and going to be used in a bedroom setup. I know MT-25 tops all but I need a 2nd option if my budget does not allow. Thanks for reading, cheers.

A

Anonymous

I just found out that MS Genie 5.1 has been discontinued. Is there anyone can give some comments?

A

Anonymous

winyip:I Is there anyone can give some comments?

Don't do it!

All other things being equall, youre always going to get better sound from a cabinet speaker than a similar priced style speaker. Unless it has to be done because of space considerations, I wouldn't do it.

A

Anonymous

I had this system for 4 years and grew bored with how they looked. Those style speaker really catch my eyes but have not demo them. Perhaps you are right passingbat, tradition is the best!

Maybe MS Aviano / MA bookshelf suits me more... Well, still contemplating...
emotion-42.gif

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I'd do a demo, and see what you think, as it may be that a newer / more expensive sub sat system might match your full size system - or maybe not!

I wouldn't just assume the B&W sub / sats are the best though. I thought the Tannoy Arena, which can now be had pretty cheap, better than the MT-30 all round, by a margin, and the KEF 5005s better for films, but not music.

When I demod the Arena I could hear details in films I hadn't heard in other speakers, the top end was really good, (one of the areas the MT-30 let itself down), and the bass was nice and tight.

A

Anonymous

I am not based in the UK hence never came across with Tannoy Arena in my area. The KEF 2005.3 is retailing higher than B&W MT-25 here so I am giving the latter a thought. However I just stumbled upon the Alumni 8 and I must admit they are very sexy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts