bookshelf speakers Vs floor standing speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is it true that one has to pay more in order to get the same quality sound in bookshelf speakers as in floorstanding speakers? <p>

In my room there is a partition that is 103 cm high- I can either put speakers on top of that partition, or on the floor in front of it. There is a bit more than 3 meters of room in front of the partition and a liitle less than 3 meters of room behind the partition. The room is 8 meters long in front of the partition , and 5 meters long behind the partition.<p>

The bookshelf speakers would suit the room better in looks etc.<p>

Could I put floorstanfding speakers on the partition? (the weight is not a problem). Would it be too high?

My interest is classical music.

A

Anonymous

I always understood Bookshelf/Standmount speakers to be cheaper than their larger counterparts.

I think the main differnce is the Floorstanders can produce a much lower bass ans are generally better for larger rooms.

A

Anonymous

"Could I put floorstanding speakers on the partition? (the weight is not a problem). Would it be too high? "

A

Anonymous

I think the floorstanders are designed to a specific height for a seated listener.

They are supposed to be at ear level. On a 1m stand they would be far too high.

A

Anonymous

It's also worth noting that there are bookshelfs out there that produce good bass. 40Hz performance isn't that uncommon.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="raypalmer"]It's also worth noting that there are bookshelfs out there that produce good bass. 40Hz performance isn't that uncommon.[/quote]

Yes. Something like Epos M5/12.2i might not have huge resonant (boomy) bass but what's there has drive and punch.

A

Anonymous

Get yourself a pair of Spendor SA1s and add a sub of your choice. The only time you'll think about changing your speakers would be when the Spendors wear out :)

A

Anonymous

I opted for a pair of Dynaudio 42's, after extended listening, and a Rel Sub. This allows me the extra bass required, and makes me more popular with my neighbours when I turn the sub off during the night.

A

Anonymous

Which Rel sub do you have, cgbissett? Where have you placed it in your room?

I'm thinking about getting standmounts and adding a Rel T3 sub.

T

the record spot

What's the budget? Up to £500, Acoustic Energy do some good floorstanders and probably took Mission's crown (they put out some great models in the 90s). Bookshelf you're spoilt for choice - Usher s520's get a mixed reception at £320, Opera, AVI and Leema all do well reviewed smaller models around the £600 mark and floorstanders really start to cook from the same price.

Depends on the budget ultimately, but whatever you buy, you need to line it up so the tweeter is more or less in line with your ear level. After that, it's all down to positioning, toe-in, or pointing straight ahead and what cabling you go for (I'm assuming you'll already have worked out what might work well with your other electronics which is the biggest factor of the lot obviously!).

A

Anonymous

I have a Rel Stampede, very compact, with a matching cherry finish to the 42's. It is placed behind my 42's in the corner of my lounge, which is open plan. It has 4 memory settings, which is handy when switching from Music to movies, or television. I have also found the memory setting useful to alter the bass for certain types of music, or the age of recordings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts