bookshelf speakers for naimuniti

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

just about to purchase the naimuniti and am looking for speakers to partner. thinking of the B+W 685s or something in that price range. Has anyone tried this combo? or have any suggestions (in a similar price bracket).

Cheers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
pete.g:...any suggestions (in a similar price bracket).

Rega RS1s (£400)

I have heard these with the NaimUniti (and other Naim gear including a Nait XS/CD5X) and they seem made for each other.

Apart from the standard Cherry or black ash finishes, you can get them in glass black (or gloss white) for a small premium.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think when you're spending 2 grand on a source/amp you should be looking at much better speakers than the 385. Look at PMC/ProAc/Spendor/AVI and demo them.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
JoelSim:
I think when you're spending 2 grand on a source/amp you should be looking at much better speakers than the 385. Look at PMC/ProAc/Spendor/AVI and demo them.

Yes I agree. In the 2009 Awards issue, WHF recommended pairing the Uniti with the PMC DB1i. It's advice well worth considering in my opinion, the PMCs are small but very accurate. The other alternatives are Harbeths P3ESR or Spendor SA1 ( both are a bit expensive though) or ProAc Tablettes.

I went with the PMC and am very happy with the results. You might want to factor in a possible upgrade in the future by the addition of a Naim power amp (the website recommends the NAP200), in which case it makes sense to get the best possible speakers now.

Good luck!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Heard a unitiserve singing with a pair of PMC DB1i's. Fantastic
emotion-2.gif

pete.g:
Hi all

just about to purchase the naimuniti and am looking for speakers to partner. thinking of the B+W 685s or something in that price range. Has anyone tried this combo? or have any suggestions (in a similar price bracket).

Cheers

Hi pete.g

At a stretch Dynaudio's DM 2/6's also work well with the Uniti.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

pete.g:

Hi all

Cheers

Around that budget I'd say Epos M12s. If you could up your budget it might be worth giving EB Acoutics EB2 a spin. Without question PMC DB1s are a fabulous match with Naim.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to throw another name into the mix - Elac BS243, which was reviewed in the Oct issue of Hifi World.

I've tried them with the Uniti and to my ears, they outperform the PMC DB1i - bass is lower and tighter and mids are better projected. They have 87.5dB sensitivity and come in gloss finishes. Elac provide gloves, polishing cloth and a ring attachment for the tweeter if the treble needs to be tamed in rooms with many reflective surfaces. Price is the same as the DB1i and I would highly recommend an audition.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger:I went with the PMC and am very happy with the results. You might want to factor in a possible upgrade in the future by the addition of a Naim power amp (the website recommends the NAP200), in which case it makes sense to get the best possible speakers now.

Guys, guys!

The OP wanted to know about good alternatives to B&W 685s.

Quote... "In a similar price bracket"

I assume that meant £400 - £500 speakers.

You have him buying Harbeths and SA1s at prices up £1500 ! (And a NAP 200 for another £1685 !)

Excuse me whilst I bring this back down to earth - from £3K+ speaker/power-amp suggestions - to something much nearer what the OP asked for, and suggest the EB Acoustics EB1s at £468.

I have seen some excellent feedback from NaimUniti (and Nait 5i) users happy with their EB1s on this very forum.

T

the record spot

pete.g:
Hi all

Cheers

Hi Pete, what kind of sound are you looking for? Crisp, detailed, good bass, forward midrange, open treble....you get the idea?

Some good stuff out there up to £400/500 and keep in mind that if nothing brand new floats your boat, you've always got the option of ex-dem or used - many dealers will offer good prices (and thrown in a warranty in some cases) for slightly older kit and this opens up your options further.

EDIT: as an example, have a look over the used speakers listed on the Big Ears Audio website - some nice stuff there and the prices are decent, plus he'll also take offers, so you could end up with something rather nice. It does obviously mean a bit more research into the product to get an idea of the sound, but you'd do that anyway for new boxes, however the caveat applies more here as it's one shop and may not be located near where you are (esp if you're outwith the UK, moreso in fact!).

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Wow - thanks for the response guys. You have given me plenty of food for thought. There is one point however that i failed to mention though. The uniti will be used (initially) as a bedroom system so it wont be driven too loud. That is why i was looking at a budget of approx 400. I use B+W with my AV set up and thats why i expressed an interest (and the fact that they are well reviewed). The EB1s do sound like an interesting option though.

A

Anonymous

The Rega RS1 and AVI Neutrons are both very good speakers for the money. If you can try them at a local dealer, I would.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Certainly I'm happy with my Uniti/EB1 combo. Having read the WHF review I have to say I agree with their comments.

When I first demoed the Uniti, after listening through my then speakers (Quad 12L2's) the dealer connected up a pair of PMC DB1's for a few tracks. Very nice indeed, but although its difficult to compare (PMC in demo room / EB1's at home etc) I reckon my EB1's are more than a match.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DIB:When I first demoed the Uniti, after listening through my then speakers (Quad 12L2's) the dealer connected up a pair of PMC DB1's for a few tracks. Very nice indeed, but although its difficult to compare (PMC in demo room / EB1's at home etc) I reckon my EB1's are more than a match.

Hmmm. (Strokes chin.)

I wonder...

pete.g:

Hi all

Cheers

Just thought of another brand to throw into the mix - ATC SCM7s. Slightly over budget, but sound very good with Naim. I heard the SCM11 with Nait5i at 'The Towers' and very well balanced and and, overall, very convincing (can't believe I'm recommending ATCs
emotion-7.gif
).

A

Anonymous

Just to throw in a pair of bookself speakers i really like I say try if you can the Dali Ikon 1. They have grown on me to a point where im thinking about selling my B&W CM7's. They are sertainly within your budget and can be put against a wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts