Bob Dylan cover versions - what do you love or hate?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Having something of an allergy to random harmonica-playing and nasal vocals - but a deep affinity for excellent songwriting - I typically choose to enjoy the genius of Bob Dylan via cover versions.

In fact I seem to have assembled a rather eclectic mix of Dylan do-overs, from the sublime...

Elvis Presley - Tomorrow is Long Time (Dylan's favourite cover-version, apparantly)

Jimi Hendrix - All along the watchtower

Nina Simone - I Shall be Released

...to the ridiculous:

Nancy Sinatra - It's ain't me babe

Sandie Shaw - Lay Lady Lay (though this is one of the most 60s-tastic recordings ever).

Anyone else got Dylan covers they love or hate?

A

Anonymous

I can highly recomend the 'I'm Not There' soundtrack. 2 CDs of Dylan covers (plus the first official release of the title track which should have been part of the Basement Tapes).

Cat Power does an great cover of 'Stuck Inside of Memphis...' and the Richie Havens version of 'Tombstone Blues' chugs along nicely. Also Antony & the Johnsons manage to do a fresh take on 'Knocking on Heavens Door'

If you're into Dylan then you need to see this film. I loved it, but my wife who's pretty impartial to ol' Bob found it a bit of a sprawling mess, so I guess it's an aquired taste.

Col

A

Anonymous

Well, in my humble opinion no one does 'em better than Bob........However, there are exceptions, or equals...

Joe Cocker - Just Like A Woman

Martin Simpson - Boots of Spanish Leather.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Col."]I can highly recomend the 'I'm Not There' soundtrack[/quote]

Another fine addition to the burgeoning sub-genre of Bob covers. I must mention my favourite on that album is, Acapulco by Jim James & Calexico. What a voice, Mr. James

.[quote user="Col."]Also Antony & the Johnsons manage to do a fresh take on 'Knocking on Heavens Door'[/quote]

Yes, I agree. Somehow, against the prevaiing odds, this works. Even stranger for me was Stephen Malkmus' take on Ballad Of A Thin Man. What next? Mark E. Smith declaims The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll?

[quote user="Col."]If you're into Dylan then you need to see this film[/quote]

A young baby in our midst limits cinema outings, so I'm really looking forward to the DVD release of this.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="Thaiman"]'Knocking on Heavens Door' done by Gun & Roses.[/quote]

You mean done over by Guns n Roses, surely...?
[/quote]

Ah...yes that is what I mean. How do you like your new roll? (as in work, not cheese or ham roll that you are eating!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts