Blusound Powernode 2021 vs Denon pma 800ne + dnp 800ne

aiwanho

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
For music streaming and amplification I'm using these two Denon pma 800ne and Denon dnp 800ne to power my Wharfedale Evo 4.4
I'm very happy with the amplifier but the streamer is a bit inconvenient. It takes ages to turn on, it's slow, the app is rubbish and so on..
To simplify my setup I'm thinking of selling those two and buying the Powernode 2021.
The question is: how wise is that idea and how do those two amplifiers compare to each other? I know these setups are different in many aspects but how do the final outputs (the sound they produce) compare?

aiwanho

Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
If you are happy with your amp why not just buy the Node?
I was amazed by how well and flowless the Powernode works. You do everything through the app and you don't need to think of turning on another device (the amp). You just pick a song and voilà you're listening to it :) The bonus is the all-in-one-box solution you get with the Powernode.
So the streaming and usability are on the Powernode's side. I'm just concerned about the amp performance. I did hear the Powernode but not on my pair of speakers and not in my room so can't really tell which one might be flagged as better.

I was amazed by how well and flowless the Powernode works. You do everything through the app and you don't need to think of turning on another device (the amp). You just pick a song and voilà you're listening to it :) The bonus is the all-in-one-box solution you get with the Powernode.
So the streaming and usability are on the Powernode's side. I'm just concerned about the amp performance. I did hear the Powernode but not on my pair of speakers and not in my room so can't really tell which one might be flagged as better.
I understand the convenience angle. Cannot help further as have not heard the Powernode

robdmarsh

I have the Denon pma 800ne and think this amp is an absolute belter (ie pretty darned good)! I tried the dnp 800ne and didn't like it all so I know where you're coming from. I then bought a Node 2021 and to be honest I don't like the sound as much as my ifi Zen blue, which I know is not genuine hi-res before anyone tells me so, but the sound has plenty enough detail for me. I don't like blueOS much either and much prefer Amazon HD app, which Bluesound won't let me use in its native form.
So long story short, I think the amp you've got there punches well above its weight, I can understand why you don't like the Denon streamer but I myself would not be drawn to the convenience of the Powernode as, although I haven't heard it, I don't think the DAC in the Node is all that great and I doubt if the class D amp in Powernode would better or even match the Denon.
So my advice would be why don't you try a Zen blue? £129 outlay, excellent bluetooth connection, use whatever streaming service you like with the native amp and return it if you think you must have the detail of genuine hi-res.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

manicm

I have the Denon pma 800ne and think this amp is an absolute belter (ie pretty darned good)! I tried the dnp 800ne and didn't like it all so I know where you're coming from. I then bought a Node 2021 and to be honest I don't like the sound as much as my ifi Zen blue, which I know is not genuine hi-res before anyone tells me so, but the sound has plenty enough detail for me. I don't like blueOS much either and much prefer Amazon HD app, which Bluesound won't let me use in its native form.
So long story short, I think the amp you've got there punches well above its weight, I can understand why you don't like the Denon streamer but I myself would not be drawn to the convenience of the Powernode as, although I haven't heard it, I don't think the DAC in the Node is all that great and I doubt if the class D amp in Powernode would better or even match the Denon.
So my advice would be why don't you try a Zen blue? £129 outlay, excellent bluetooth connection, use whatever streaming service you like with the native amp and return it if you think you must have the detail of genuine hi-res.

With regards to usability the issue lies more with Amazon than Bluesound. The former is still getting to grips with software.

robdmarsh

With regards to usability the issue lies more with Amazon than Bluesound. The former is still getting to grips with software.
Do you mean that the fact the Amazon music is clunky with BlueOS is Amazon's fault? The native Amazon app is very good imo, I could list maybe a dozen features why I like it but for some reason it gets a lot of hate. I think it's cos it's not cool like Tidal or Qobuz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts