Bluray schmuray

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
mbmapit:JoelSim:Octopo:JoelSim:
On this occasion, Octopo doesn't have a point.

Sorry, my mistake.ÿ

You're quite right mr 8 legs, I am an Arcam fan. But I never cease to be amazed by the hype surrounding BD and yet my current picture is stunning in a stunning kind of way, and having looked in many many places showing BD have been left thinking 'But why would I pay for this when what I have is 99% as good'ÿ

Because in the "many many" places you've seen it you've never once seen it hooked up to your kit at home and seen the true difference that it brings because you certainly don't have it 99% as good.

ÿ

Chill out fella. Blimey. 97.28% as good then.ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Have been looking at many many Bluray players today in Comet and Currys (for work rather than thinking of buying one) and quite honestly I don't see what all the fuss is about. My current DVD player looks just as good as anything I've seen, and if there is a difference then it's so tiny as to not be worth the hassle/cost

ÿ
Maybe that's where you went wrong - you're looking in the wrong place! Comet and Currys staff couldn't set up a Scalectrix on their own. And strong lighting is no way to view many HD screens.

Yes, DVD can look good, but if your screen is good enough, it will show you the benefits of Bluray. I've seen some stunning pictures off BD, some have taken my concentration away from the film and made me rewind back a bit to watch the bit again! The depth to the picture can be stunning, with a level of detail way out of reach of DVD.

A

Anonymous

nads:
Sod the PQ what about the HD sound? dont you want that?

+ space for more extras (if you're into that kind of thing)ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
nads:

ÿ

But yes i have not seen a Blue player that i would consider buying yet.

I only have 2 channel amps and no centre speaker, although it's all hooked up and I do use the speakers to watch movies, I'm not too bothered about the sound. I don't watch music DVDs and I only own about 20 DVDs, but Happy Feet sounds great!

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:nads:

Hmmm. The extras disk usually stays firmly in the box.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Octopo:nads:

Hmmm. The extras disk usually stays firmly in the box.

ÿ

You're right, rubbish argument.ÿ

nads

JoelSim:nads:

I only have 2 channel amps and no centre speaker, although it's all hooked up and I do use the speakers to watch movies, I'm not too bothered about the sound. I don't watch music DVDs and I only own about 20 DVDs, but Happy Feet sounds great!

emotion-16.gif

Ahhh that info was not present.

the only reason i went to HD was for the sound. But as HD DVDs are so cheap i have built up quite a colection to go with the DVD's. I was thinking of getting a BD player later this year but maybe in another 12 months...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
nads:JoelSim:nads:

ÿ

ÿ

Ahhh that info was not present.

ÿ

the only reason i went to HD was for the sound. But as HD DVDs are so cheap i have built up quite a colection to go with the DVD's. I was thinking of getting a BD player later this year but maybe in another 12 months...

That's another thing I don't understand, buying DVDs/BDs or whatever (except kids films of course which will be watched over and over). A CD, however, is different as it will get used loads if it's any good.

Funny thing about all this is, I suspect those who think I'm a muppet as per earlier messages use an iPod or something equally as 'average' to listen to music without batting an eyelid.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

For me, the audio has never really been a problem. Using M&K and a decent source component (and a decent amp of course) the sound has always been good except for the odd disc. I mainly wanted HD for a less compressed, cleaner picture. The HD audio was a bonus :D

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:That's where Lovefilm comes in...

Exactly! Although 2 per month is too many as I'm usually too busy listening to CDs

ÿ

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Can`t comment on how much better or not bluray is as I haven`t got into that sort of thing as yet but I have seen a DVD round Joel`s and the picture looked great!

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, this thread made perfect breakfast reading for me. A bit of information, a bit of comedy and it wasn't too long. Who needs HD for entertainment...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, if you're not a film buff, I can easily see why Blu-Ray wouldn't excite you, in the same way that people that don't really listen to much music wouldn't be interested in a decent hi-fi - it's a waste of money if you're never going to use it!

A

Anonymous

Chalk and cheese on my system. Bluray all the way - massive gains in sound and PQ.

Sliced Bread

My father in law brought round a £500 Sony BD player and we watched Die Hard 4 (DB) and SW Episode 3 (DVD) on it. The sound and picture were an improvement over my £250 Denon DVD player, but I wouldn't say the difference was huge (although my TV can only display 720p / 1080i, so the full benefits were not shown). However it is worth noting that the motion was unquestionably smoother from the Denon DVD player...no question about it. The BD player looked positively jerky by comparison.

Personally I'm going to wait just that little bit longer for the technology to improve, so that an affordable player will outstrip my DVD player in every regard.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
I feel I should stand up for Currys, as clearly one of their staff can set up a Blu ray player correctly. I walked into a Currys in Northern Ireland, and as I walked past a tv playing the BD of some Robin Williams film, I stopped and stared in amazement - the picture quality was stunning. Even the old man, who's a bit of a technophobe, was really impressed.

The thing is, by getting a Blu Ray player, you don't need to then replace all your dvds with BD's. I'm getting one soon for my birthday, and I'm going to get some films that I don't already have on dvd. You can still watch your dvds on your Blu Ray player. And I'm going to mainly get good action films or fast moving films that also have an impressive soundtrack on BD to really make the most of the player. I will still happily watch the upscaled DVDs of films I already own. And by having the BD player, you have the choice of which format to buy a new film on. I'm really excited about getting a blu ray player, and not even this thread is going to convince me otherwise!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
survivor:Can`t comment on how much better or not bluray is as I haven`t got into that sort of thing as yet but I have seen a DVD round Joel`s and the picture looked great!

Thanks Stu

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnNewman:However it is worth noting that the motion was unquestionably smoother from the Denon DVD player...no question about it. The BD player looked positively jerky by comparison.
That'll most likely be down to lack of 24fps on your TV as well. Which Sony was it out of interest?
As I say, at the moment, the full benefits of Blu-Ray are very much only available for people who are willing to put the money in to get a decent setup. Once you have that though, you really can tell the difference. A friend of mine has recently been staying with me as his relationship with his girlfriend broke up and he wasn't the sort of person who was that bothered with Blu-Ray. A month on and, now he's watched some good examples of the format at my place, he wants his favourite films to come out in that format as, in his own surprised words, "It really is so much better isn't it?!".

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:

survivor:Can`t comment on how much better or not bluray is as I haven`t got into that sort of thing as yet but I have seen a DVD round Joel`s and the picture looked great!

Thanks Stu

No sweat Joel. I`m not rushing into the Bluray world and I have no plans to replace my dvd collection. Of course, if you really want to be impressed round Joel`s place you need to listen to his stereo. Wow!! Mind you that comment probably belongs on another thread so I won`t take up any more space on this one. See you guys later.

A

Anonymous

I don't understand all the comments on replacing DVD collections. Why not just buy your favourite films on BD, the ones supposed to be stand out on the format and new films. Nothing wrong with your DVD collection...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, I tend to only buy new releases on Blu-Ray and if there is a really good deal on a film I love, I might upgrade from the DVD to the Blu-Ray version if it's a good transfer, but I wouldn't pay more than a tenner for it. I certainly won't be replacing all 500 or so of my DVDs!

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:JohnNewman:However it is worth noting that the motion was unquestionably smoother from the Denon DVD player...no question about it. The BD player looked positively jerky by comparison. That'll most likely be down to lack of 24fps on your TV as well. Which Sony was it out of interest?

Eh? Will the lack of a 24fps TV mean that the picture from a Blu Ray player will be jerky? My TV is only HD Ready and not 24fps. Does this mean the picture will be jerky? I know it won't be as good as through a full HD TV, and I'm prepared for that (although I do know the picture will be better (not to mention the sound) - I think BBC HD is really impressive), but I don't want a jerky picture. I'm planning on getting the Sony S350.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts