Bluray schmuray

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Have been looking at many many Bluray players today in Comet and Currys (for work rather than thinking of buying one) and quite honestly I don't see what all the fuss is about. My current DVD player looks just as good as anything I've seen, and if there is a difference then it's so tiny as to not be worth the hassle/cost

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The funniest things are the 'comparisons' they do on the instore YV loops, showing DVD to be very poor quality - not on mine it isn't and that's not even HD!

ÿ

Messiah

I sit at home now and put a DVD on and am amazed at the quality still. I could see the massive benefits of going from VHS to DVD but the gap between DVD and Bluray is not that big of a divide.

The thought of getting a Bluray player and having to buy every film again is just frightening...........and bloody expensive......

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
I sit at home now and put a DVD on and am amazed at the quality still. I could see the massive benefits of going from VHS to DVD but the gap between DVD and Bluray is not that big of a divide.

The thought of getting a Bluray player and having to buy every film again is just frightening...........and bloody expensive......

Couldn't agree more. My picture is fantastic so why would I need anything else?

ÿ

Messiah

Exactly
emotion-2.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:Messiah:

Couldn't agree more. My picture is fantastic so why would I need anything else?

ÿ

I'm sure if you were demo'd a good bluray set up in a decent shop, instead of Currys or Comet, you would have a different view. Currys and Comet have bright open shops and the screens are tuned terribly. I've read that sometimes they are connected using svideo cables!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Ahem, not on a manufacturer merchandised unit which was there specifically to tell the difference between the two formats.

And I wouldn't have a different view as my current picture is astounding which is plenty good enough for me.

ÿ

Messiah

Hi Gerrard,

I am sure you are right in that the quality is excellent. I have seen it set up properly, I personally don't think that it is worth replacing my current DVD collection for as I still think this is amazing.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

The funniest things are the 'comparisons' they do on the instore YV loops, showing DVD to be very poor quality - not on mine it isn't and that's not even HD!

I don't mean to sound rude but there's you're very own point blown to bits! We all know TV's (and every other electrical component in places like comet and currys) are not calibrated correctly. They show those comparisons with bad setups which is why the dvd picture looks bad then bluray looks ok at best.

If however, you took a bluray player home (or rented one from Hughes) and used it on your own kit comparing the same film on both dvd and bluray I am 100% sure you would ask for this thread to be deleted.

For example: I have a copy of both spiderman 3 and transformers on dvd and bluray and I am happy to say the difference is not marginal but close to night and day.

In summary.... If you're not willing to give it the audition it deserves by going to a dedicated shop for an audition or even testing it with your own kit then you are as bad as the people who actually believe the employees in places like comet and currys when they recommend a Matsui TV over a Pioneer.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Ahem, not on a manufacturer merchandised unit which was there specifically to tell the difference between the two formats.

And I wouldn't have a different view as my current picture is astounding which is plenty good enough for me.

ÿ

"And I wouldn't have a different view as my current picture is astounding which is plenty good enough for me.".

Sounds to me like your mind is already made up.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

The manufacturer displays are also configured to be as bright as they can (and we all know that's wrong). They also leave all the picture processing rubbish on, effectively they take a TV off the production line slap it on a display stand with an out of the box bluray player, connect them with a cheap as chips hdmi lead (if you're lucky-i've seen displays for bluray using worse) then send it out to the shop... AND THAT'S IF YOU'RE LUCKY. Most of the time they just advice the shop on the models to setup and we all know the iq levels of the guys in comet and currys.

A

Anonymous

Maybe when Arcam release their BD player we'll hear a different story?

A

Anonymous

i see and hear a big difference with blu compaired to SD dvd especially on when watching on my projector but the improvment is still clear whilst viewing on LCD!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:JoelSim:

"And I wouldn't have a different view as my current picture is astounding which is plenty good enough for me.". Sounds to me like your mind is already made up.

Such a shame when people become blinded by poor examples of products which are actually the opposite.

If he truely believes such things then surely he should still be using a CRT TV because why would he buy an LCD/Plasma when they are inferior with SD content and he doesn't think HD is worth it???

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
mbmapit:JoelSim:

ÿ

I don't mean to sound rude but there's you're very own point blown to bits! We all know TV's (and every other electrical component in places like comet and currys) are not calibrated correctly. They show those comparisons with bad setups which is why the dvd picture looks bad then bluray looks ok at best.

If however, you took a bluray player home (or rented one from Hughes) and used it on your own kit comparing the same film on both dvd and bluray I am 100% sure you would ask for this thread to be deleted.

For example: I have a copy of both spiderman 3 and transformers on dvd and bluray and I am happy to say the difference is not marginal but close to night and day.

In summary.... If you're not willing to give it the audition it deserves by going to a dedicated shop for an audition or even testing it with your own kit then you are as bad as the people who actually believe the employees in places like comet and currys when they recommend a Matsui TV over a Pioneer.

You're missing the point entirely here. The comparison showed BluRay to be pinsharp and DVD to be out of focus ie a cheap trick.

My DVD at home is absolutely pin sharp, I never, ever, cease to marvel at the picture quality. So why would I possibly go for a BluRay? I don't get it. I could understand if I had ever had any reason to concern the picture quality but I haven't. And this is on a 42" plasma so there's plenty of upscaling going on.

And for the record I have done a lot of work with the technology trade and I am aware of the limitations of high street retailers.ÿ

ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
Hi Gerrard,

I am sure you are right in that the quality is excellent. I have seen it set up properly, I personally don't think that it is worth replacing my current DVD collection for as I still think this is amazing.

I agree that it's not worth replacing a dvd library. I have ordered the new Sony BDPS550 and will use it for dvd playing also. There is the audio improvement also. I think people can get a little aggressive on here sometimes. Joel is allowed his opinion and even if people disagree (like me), there is no need to go over the top. Although Octopo, you have a point - doesn't he Joel?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Messiah:
Hi Gerrard,

ÿI am sure you are right in that the quality is excellent. I have seen it set up properly, I personally don't think that it is worth replacing my current DVD collection for as I still think this is amazing.

I agree that it's not worth replacing a dvd library. I have ordered the new Sony BDPS550 and will use it for dvd playing also. There is the audio improvement also. I think people can get a little aggressive on here sometimes. Joel is allowed his opinion and even if people disagree (like me), there is no need to go over the top. Although Octopo, you have a point - doesn't he Joel?

On this occasion, Octopo doesn't have a point. I will replace my DVD when it breaks.

And again for the record, I am aware of the limitations of broadcast TV as there are often poor quality programmes. However, through the DVD not had any issues.ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:mbmapit:JoelSim:

You're missing the point entirely here. The comparison showed BluRay to be pinsharp and DVD to be out of focus ie a cheap trick.

My DVD at home is absolutely pin sharp, I never, ever, cease to marvel at the picture quality. So why would I possibly go for a BluRay? I don't get it. I could understand if I had ever had any reason to concern the picture quality but I haven't. And this is on a 42" plasma so there's plenty of upscaling going on.

And for the record I have done a lot of work with the technology trade and I am aware of the limitations of high street retailers.

I'm not missing the point buddy I own over 3000 dvd's myself and still use them regularly. My picture is also pin sharp via my HD-XE1 which is regarded one of the best upscaling players *BUT* the picture with both HDDVD and Bluray is still much better. When comparing the 2 HD content is always sharper than pin sharp, the depth is greater, the colours more accurate, the grain (if any was on the dvd) has been irradicated and the HD sound is the pure icing on the cake (sumptuous).

Messiah

I think people have got carried away a bit here!!

Is Bluray Excellent - Yes

Am I still amazed by my DVD pictures - Yes

Do I want to spend £1000's replacing my collection of DVD's with Bluray - No.

The only reasons I would upgrade to Bluray would be if I upgraded to the new audio codecs which I also have no intention on doing just yet as I am still happy with my DD or DTS 5.1, - and if they were £5 each!

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
On this occasion, Octopo doesn't have a point.

Sorry, my mistake.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Messiah:

Exactly,

I think people have got carried away a bit here!!

Is Bluray Excellent - Yes

Am I still amazed by my DVD pictures - Yes

Do I want to spend £1000's replacing my collection of DVD's with Bluray - No.

The only reason I would upgrade to Bluray would be if I upgraded to the new audio codecs which I also have no intention on doing just yet as I am still happy with my DD or DTS 5.1, and if they were £5 each!

Now that is a statement I can agree with.

I got Bluray and HDDVD not to replace my DVD's but to go along side them. Yes they are better *but* I still watch my DVD's all the time and even buy them still if the movie isn't being released in HD.

The audio was a major upgrade again but I still enjoy DD and DTS on DVD.

The only thing that annoys me is when people come on here/anywhere else and say Bluray/HD/HDDVD is no better than DVD/TV, which is exactly what he said.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:JoelSim:

Sorry, my mistake.ÿ

You're quite right mr 8 legs, I am an Arcam fan. But I never cease to be amazed by the hype surrounding BD and yet my current picture is stunning in a stunning kind of way, and having looked in many many places showing BD have been left thinking 'But why would I pay for this when what I have is 99% as good'ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Octopo:JoelSim:

Sorry, my mistake.

You're quite right mr 8 legs, I am an Arcam fan. But I never cease to be amazed by the hype surrounding BD and yet my current picture is stunning in a stunning kind of way, and having looked in many many places showing BD have been left thinking 'But why would I pay for this when what I have is 99% as good'

Because in the "many many" places you've seen it you've never once seen it hooked up to your kit at home and seen the true difference that it brings because you certainly don't have it 99% as good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts