Bluray player as music network player?

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
is it possible? i would like to connect some bluray player directly into hifi ( tv is in another room) to work headless as the network player...what are the chances for such configuration to work? my music is on qnap nas...is there any smart apps for br players which will control music through either ipad or android phone/tablet?

alto63

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, it is possible, if your Blu-Ray player is Upnp compliant. You can control the player with a UPNP controller app on smartphone, or on a notebook. I use my Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray in this way.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a Panasonic bdp-230 and it only recognizes a few tracks on my dlink NAS. It will play flac off USB though

Bought a Sony str-dn1040 yesterday and it's able to access every track.

John Duncan

So you actually want just a music player with a smartphone app? What about Sonos Connect? No support for higher res than 16/44 but by far the most functional thing of this ilk that I've found.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Tacty,

I got the Sony network audio app, this allows you to play music directly from the NAS without turning the TV on.

I have a Sonos connect on the floor above so at some point I'll fish a coax cable down, this will allow me to use rdio and the Sonos app which is just slicker

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
So you actually want just a music player with a smartphone app? What about Sonos Connect? No support for higher res than 16/44 but by far the most functional thing of this ilk that I've found.

i'm thinking about it, but br players are fraction of the cost of sonos...

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Tacty,

I got the Sony network audio app, this allows you to play music directly from the NAS without turning the TV on.

it sounds interesting...and i have yamaha as-500 as well :clap: so, lets recap...i need some sony br player ( i suppose all of them work with sony network app?), do some basic settings on tv, move it to the amp later, get wired connection out of router, and start listening? what music files are supported besides flac and mp3? do sony br players have analogue audio out for connecting with amp?

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Tacty said:
skippy said:
Tacty,

it sounds interesting...and i have yamaha as-500 as well :clap: so, lets recap...i need some sony br player ( i suppose all of them work with sony network app?), do some basic settings on tv, move it to the amp later, get wired connection out of router, and start listening? what music files are supported besides flac and mp3? do sony br players have analogue audio out for connecting with amp?

If you are connecting to the AS-500 you will need the analogue outs from the bluray player.

Spec sheets will confirm which files can be played back via the player, but having said this I recently bought the Panny bdp-230 which is supposed to be fluent with flac, it recognized 11 tracks out of 900 on my NAS.

Like the other guy said, if you could stretch to the Sonos connect, that is a far better package, the app allows you to make playlists as you're listening to the songs, works great for me and I've read of people who have these as their source on high end systems with great results. Just need to make sure you can connect the sonos directly to the router otherwise you'd need the additional bridge (50 quid).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts