Bluetooth Speaker(s) Suitability for watching Video

Faiakes

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Are bluetooth speakers/headphones unsuitable for watching video?

Is audio lag inevitable? If so, is it at least fixable by messing with the video player's audio sync settings?

I've never used Bluetooth outside of the car. But my recently purchased soundbase [a Canton] has a time delay adjustment, and that is wired optically, so I'm sure that feature would be desirable. I think it can connect by BT too, but I'd thought of that more in terms of sending music from a phone or iThing.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
There's actually a specification of Bluetooth dedicated to video broadcast - "aptX Low Latency", for which the audio delay can't be over 40ms. (I know as we had to make some firmware adjustments recently to get the certification!)

In practice it seems to work fine from phone/tablet playing video wirelessly to the speaker with no lip sync issues. I'd say if you look for that logo on the box then there shouldn't be a problem.

Faiakes

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
To answer my own question: I knew about AptX Low Latency products and opted for the RIVA Turbo X. It suited my needs. (Well, I would buy an AptX HD speaker, but there's none in the market). Video (Sound) Latency: Probably none at all, I adjusted MX player ever so slightly but that's just my OCD probably. Sound: The best bluetooth speaker I've listened to. I think WhatHiFi definitely needs to review it.

TRENDING THREADS