Bluetooth Speaker Help

LordB

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am sure this type of thread has been posted before but I really need some help in choosing a Bluetooth wireless speaker for my particular taste in music I did not think it would be this hard to be honest. I listen to an even mix of hip-hop/rap and heavy metal, please no sly comments about my tastes lol, my primary device will be a iPad Air 2.

My budget is £300 to £400 I have done a small amount of research and have made a shortlist of the following...

Beats Pill XL, Zeppelin Air, Sonos Play:5 and Bose Soundlink III.

I have read reviews on all of these and the only one that has got the slightest bad reviews is the Bose, but everyone who posts in the comments mainly disagree with each review. The Beats Pill XL apparently distorts when the metal genre is played on that device, and there was not much in the way of genre specific feedback on any of the others. Although I have read that the Zeppelin Air suffers if you are surfing the Internet at the same time as playing music as it streams through your network connection.

I tried to go high end and looked into the Dali Kubik Free and emailed Dali themselves to see how my taste would fair on their device and they told me that I would need to buy an extra sub woofer to go with the Kubik Free.

Any help with my query would be greatly appreciated including any suggestions on other devices, please feel free to list them, thank you for reading.

jjbomber

LordB said:
Hi Everyone,

Beats Pill XL, Zeppelin Air, Sonos Play:5 and Bose Soundlink III.

Add the Nocs NS2 to your shortlist and then go for a listen. The Bose are way better than the reviews suggest; it is pure hi-fi snobbery that stops them getting a fair rating. There are some makes that always get great write-ups with rubbish products (Apple ipad 3) and others that get rubbish write-ups with brilliant products (Oppo DVDs).

At a guess, the Zeppelin Air would be best but remember, it is YOUR choice. Just like different people like different cars, so different people prefer different hifi sounds.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The speakers you've suggested are all very different and can't be compared against each other really.

The beats pill is a tinny piece of tat which is best steered clear of.

The Bose sound link 3 is OK but overpriced. It has good bass extension for its size, a strange diffused midrange and annoying piercing treble peak. This, like the Beats, is a portable or travel speaker really.

The Sonos play 5 sounds good, I wouldn't recommend it though unless you're going to extend into a multi room system.

Haven't heard the Zeppelin air but it's going to be best of the bunch sound quality wise.

My recommendation would be the Marshall Stanmore, best Bluetooth speaker for the money.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I got my mrs the Bose soundlink mini for xmas - and its incredible for such a small device. Honnestly i would give it 5* - for a sound at such price and convenience. Obviously it doesnt compare to a full hifi system, but its never going to, and not intended to. If you want a small portable device, i fail to see how anyone could not give the little bose full ratings.

LordB

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Glad I didn't buy a Beats Pill XL now

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/03/us-appleinc-recalls-idUSKBN0OJ1YJ20150603

TRENDING THREADS