Bluetooth Receiver with XLR Digital out

joncam

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi, hopefully I'm in the right place with this, basically ...

... I am after a way of getting decent quality audio from handheld devices into my NorthStar DAC *via XLR balanced input*. I could possibly use optical, and have a decent cable although I still don't think it is as good a sound as coax or XLR. I have a USB option as well, but that has been fiddly with NorthStar.

I have managed to find just one product, and it seems like it could be ok for the job ...

Switchcraft 318bt Phantom Powered Bluetooth Audio Receiver

http://www.markertek.com/product/sw-318bt/switchcraft-318bt-phantom-powered-bluetooth-audio-receiver

however very mixed reviews and I'd rather go for something a bit better designed and made.

Anyway, if anyone has been there done that I would love to hear from them.

Thanks

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
So you're determined to use XLR, even if it means using Bluetooth and reduced bit rates? Not a lot of devices for domestic use provide for that kind of output, even though a number of DACs have that input option

the best method probably depends on your specific handheld device.

I'd use an Apple TV (previous generation) or airport express for an apple device. For my FiiO X5 I'd use the coax. For Android I guess I'd go for USB if useable.

Either way, i wouldn't get hung up on the minor benefits of whatever you perceive to be the best connection when the choices are limited in the first place.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Either you've got your wires crossed or I have.

Depending on the model of your DAC, you may have XLR outputs and an XLR input. These are not the same - the outputs are analogue and the input is a AES/EBU digital input. The device you linked to is suitable for direct connection to a mixer and so is analogue.

I would be surprised if a Bluetooth receiver with AES/EBU output.

joncam

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi ID

Thanks, just to clarify: I'm wanting to use the XLR digital in on the DAC because the coax is already used on my Sonos. I'm not chasing quality benefits from the XLR.

I am wanting to have the DAC done in the NorthStar DAC though, and not use the DAC in the usual bluetooth receiver DAC units. This is a quality consideration and was supposed to be a price consideration i.e. I'm thinking that a bluetooth receiver that only receives digital, and passes it to a DAC should be cheaper than a unit the receives and DACs.

I guess I could use optical instead of XLR, although I don't love optical connections.

Apple TV Gen3 would do optical but Gen4 woudln't. I don't think I'd go that way for this job, as I don't have a screen in my hifi area and I like it that way.

So, I think I'll go the optical route, and hopefully I can find a BT receiver that does digital out i.e. no DAC.

Thanks

joncam

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I want XLR *input* to the DAC because the coax digital in, is in use (Sonos digital out goes into the coax digital in on the DAC).

The XLR *output* on the DAC is in use anyway, it feeds my Plinius Amp.

Fwiw this is a system I find fantastic (Sonos digital out > coax > NorthStar DAC analouge out >XLR Plinus Amp > Dydaudio Saphires), it just doesn't let me stream the odd YouTube or handheld device track -which I thought would be a simple and cheap thing to sort out, but it looks like I'm kind of forced to just fork for a unit with an intergrated DAC -it won't do much for or against in terms of quality, but it is a total waste buying the DAC because I won't use it (because a) I have a DAC and b) it is freakin awesome).

Cheers

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
joncam said:
Hi ID

Thanks, just to clarify: I'm wanting to use the XLR digital in on the DAC because the coax is already used on my Sonos. I'm not chasing quality benefits from the XLR.

I guess I should use optical instead of XLR, although I don't love optical connections.

This is the point I was getting at. AES/EBU digital input. (which is what I assumed you meant by XLR and is what I also have on the back of my U-05) is pretty rare, so you will be better off with optical or USB, despite whatever unfounded prejudices you have against them :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts