blues/jazz recommendations...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sorreltiger:
Some great suggestions so far! I think I have all of your Jazz Essentials, 6threplicant. I'd have to include Ella and the American Songbooks and any Herbie Hancock album.

If we're on blues now, no-one yet has mentioned Billie Holliday or her modern disciple Madeleine Peyroux. I also discovered Shemekia Copeland on Spotify - really raunchy and full of rhythm. Thanks to a recommendation on here, I've also been listening to Guy Davis, Chocolate to the Bone, which is very simple and rootsy.

Madeleine Peyroux is just stunning.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Check out anything by Dianne Reeves... absolutely beautiful! also, Melody Gardot, Michael Franks and if you fancey some instrumental try Pat Metheny, Grover Washington. Thumbs up for Stacey Kent too.

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS CDP, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130 speakers.

A

Anonymous

thanks for all the tips so far guys, i'm slowly working my way through them all. currently listening to Madeleine Peyroux, very nice
emotion-21.gif

michael hoy

maxflinn:thanks for all the tips so far guys, i'm slowly working my way through them all. currently listening to Madeleine Peyroux, very nice
emotion-21.gif

Forfot than one, didn't buy the disc but downloaded the flac files from HDTracks

T

the record spot

maxflinn:
i have to admit i don't know too many artists of either, but ive been listening quite a bit to nina simone recently, and i think she's great, i also often listen to the blues brothers OST. which is one of my fav albums.

so, i've got spotify premium, and i'm looking to try out some more jazz/ jazzy blues / blues. etc.. any pointers?

ta...

Keith Jarret - The Koln Concert or Somewhere Before. Two great albums, both live, but the latter featuring his trio and the sound is amazing.

The Koln Concert is a classic, one of those defintive recordings to hear at least once. The end of the first piece is astonishing; you'd be hard pushed to believe it's just one guy playing.

A

Anonymous

Some other recommendations;

BB King, Muddy Waters, definitely Buddy Guy

I can heartily recommend Keb' Mo' and Seasick Steve

Don't turn your nose up at Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jools Holland or Gary Moore (especially "Close as You Get" album)

And although gospelly - check out the Blind Boys of Alabama (Spirit of The Century is a great album)

Cheers

Penfold

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
some superb suggestions. have tried again, but just cannot get into most of these female vocalists. All sounds 'Cafe Rouge' to me.

Cannot stop playing the Getz/Gilberto stuff though.

If you're into sax, check out Joshua Redman as well.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i think most areas have been covered im only 28 so not mant years of know how but my favs are

j.j.cale,clapton,eric bibb,joe bonamassa,bob dylan.paul butterfield,early doors,sonny terry,gary moore,keb mo

there is loads check the threads on what i have been listening to

A

Anonymous

I love chillin to bb king-deuces wild!

great thread, some excellent recommendations.

A

Anonymous

So many artists to choose from!

For Blues try the 3 Kings- Freddie,Albert and B.B. Buddy Guy's a great place to start too (his new lp Living Proof is good,try older ones with Junior Wells). As mentioned already John Lee Hooker,Howlin Wolf,Muddy Waters. Try getting your hands on a Chess Records compilation of blues. Stevie Ray Vaughan, T-Bone Walker ,Roy Buchanan also well worth a listen.

From an Irish perspective-Rory Gallagher! Sadly gone but a massive blues & rock guitarist-check out Live in Europe or Irish Tour '74. Also on Muddy Waters London Sessions.

Enjoy

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
As has been alluded to, if you're coming at jazz from a blues/R&B sort of angle, then check out some 60's soul-jazz on labels like Blue Note and Prestige. Good starting points might be Lou Donaldson 'Alligator Boogaloo' or Jimmy Smith 'Back at the Chicken Shack' (both Blue Note.) People like Grant Green and Jack McDuff, Bobby Hutcherson etc. This kind of stuff is melodic, funky and easily accessible. There's a heap of compilations of this stuff, too.

A modern take on the same sound, although less jazzy, would be The Sugarman Three - especially their first 2 LP's "Sugar's Boogaloo" and "Soul Donkey".

On the UK tip, check out some of Georgie Fame's 60's recordings.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
6th.replicant:Every home should have one: Miles Davis - Kind of Blue + Sketches of Spain Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um Oscar Peterson - Piano Moods: The Very Best Of Oscar Peterson John Coltrane - Blue Train + A Love Supreme Stan Getz & JoÆo Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto Melody Gardot - My One and Only Fool
emotion-2.gif

Thanks 6th .Ive had Melody Gardot on repeat since this thread started - never heard of her before and I dont much like jazz!

A

Anonymous

Muddy Waters was recorded by Alan Lomax in 1941-1942. Lomax also recorded Son House at the same time. There's an album on Zircon Blue with these two sessions on it. I think it's the most powerful collection of music I own.

Jack

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:
i have to admit i don't know too many artists of either, but ive been listening quite a bit to nina simone recently, and i think she's great, i also often listen to the blues brothers OST. which is one of my fav albums.

so, i've got spotify premium, and i'm looking to try out some more jazz/ jazzy blues / blues. etc.. any pointers?

ta...

Just seen this; you have great taste
emotion-11.gif

I quite like Nina Simone; I've got both Blues Brothers soundtracks; I also quite like Dean Martin and Nat King Cole but I'm interested in getting into some Jazz as well.

I do listen to some of the Jazz radio stations on iTunes when I'm working (great for low, background music). The wife's family are really into Glenn Miller as well which I have to admit I really like as well and it sounds superb on my system

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Max - try Elysian Fields. They're jazz based, and Jennifer Charles has a very sultry, sexy voice which is, most of the time, quite dreamy, as in it sounds like she's smoked something. A little different, and mixed with a bit of rock. You might like it, you might not, but it's one of my favourite demo discs.

Bleed Your Cedar on Napstervery nice david
emotion-21.gif
, i can see why you use it as demo material, very high quality recording
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

thanks again for all the pointers guys
emotion-21.gif
, i've been checking them out, isn't spotify wonderful
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979:maxflinn:

ta...

Just seen this; you have great taste
emotion-11.gif

I quite like Nina Simone; I've got both Blues Brothers soundtracks; I also quite like Dean Martin and Nat King Cole but I'm interested in getting into some Jazz as well.

I do listen to some of the Jazz radio stations on iTunes when I'm working (great for low, background music). The wife's family are really into Glenn Miller as well which I have to admit I really like as well and it sounds superb on my system

thanks for saying
emotion-11.gif

i like nat king cole too, can't say i've heard dean martin sing (i presume he's the actor) i'll check him out.

there's so much choice on spotify, it's fantastic. music for any mood, 24/7
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

slightly different but im growing to like this album by Chris botti...

Like opera/jazz, more and more i listen too it,grows on me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts