blue ray or hdd

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
so confused here,

seen there r 2 formats of next gen dvd's out but which do i get, is it the vhs beta thing again. I don't suppose one is compatable with the other, could any of you recommend whichh way to go or is it best to hang on and see.

A

Anonymous

To start they are not compatable, if your not sure it may depend on your budget.You may also be swayed by your fav films currently only being available on one format i have PS3 as my Blu-ray player

A

Anonymous

Well i've just won the Pirates of the Caribbean Blu-ray disc from this forum, so now i've got to either buy a blu-ray player or sell the discs.!!!!

Now, thats a dilema...........

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mercurymagic"]
so confused here,

seen there r 2 formats of next gen dvd's out but which do i get, is it the vhs beta thing again. I don't suppose one is compatable with the other, could any of you recommend whichh way to go or is it best to hang on and see.

[/quote]

I don't blame you re the confusion- it's a ridiculous situation.

Blu-ray and HD DVD both use similar blue-laser technology to pack far more onto DVD-size discs (hence the potential for space-hungry, higher-definition pictures and sound).

But no, they're not compatible - though both Blu-ray and HD DVD players will also play your existing DVDs.

There has been much talk of hybrid players that play both formats, but we've only actually seen one player - LG's SuperMultiBlue BH100 - available in the UK market. But it's not perfect (as other threads here make painfully clear) and certainly isn't a full-function hybrid. And it doesn't play CDs.

To complicate matters still further, the specifications for players are a fluid thing, so some earlier HD players won't give you all the benefits of the discs - in terms of sound and vision!

However, a good HD player looks and sound absolutely superb: with ordinary DVDs as well as HD discs.
If you really wanted to buy now, and see every film you wanted to in high-definition, then you'd need budget players of both formats: such as Sony's PlayStation3 (£299) and Toshiba's HD-EP35 (£350 - available for less). Both of these players are firmware upgradeable, which means they're updating as the specs update.

But I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to do that or go anywhere near HD discs with a bargepole for now. As mentioned elsewhere, i've got meetings set up with both Blu-ray and HD DVD camps shortly, and am also very interested to see what new players are announced at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rock Man"]Well i've just won the Pirates of the Caribbean Blu-ray disc from this forum, so now i've got to either buy a blu-ray player or sell the discs.!!!! Now, thats a dilema...........[/quote]

Didn't that competition have the player as a prize aswell?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mercurymagic"]is it the vhs beta thing again.[/quote]

No, the consumers lost that one. Remember the dvd-rw, dvd-ram, dvd+rw etc war?. No, neither do I.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="FoxJA"]

[quote user="Rock Man"]Well i've just won the Pirates of the Caribbean Blu-ray disc from this forum, so now i've got to either buy a blu-ray player or sell the discs.!!!! Now, thats a dilema...........[/quote]

Didn't that competition have the player as a prize aswell?[/quote]

First prize was a Sony BDP-S300 and the three Pirates movies on BD, with five runners-up prizes of two of the movies on BD.

A

Anonymous

thanks clare,

decided to get an upscaler dvd player for around 100 for the tme being then look into hd players when a definate winner comes through and prices come down

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="FoxJA"]

First prize was a Sony BDP-S300 and the three Pirates movies on BD, with five runners-up prizes of two of the movies on BD.

[/quote]

It did, although i think i was one of the runners-up

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rock Man"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="FoxJA"]

[/quote] It did, although i think i was one of the runners-up[/quote]

Oh well, better than nothing and more than I've ever won!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts