Blue Ray analogue out to AV receiver

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Now is the time for the next step, the Blue Ray player, either the new Sony BDP S760 or the OPPO BDP 831

Choice is also limited to players with analogue out, fed into my Yamaha RX-V2700, AV speakers are KEF Q7 (bi amped), Q2DS surrounds and iQ6 centre, sub is a REL Storm III

Question;

Just how good is analogue out (compared to HDMI), and decoding at the Blue Ray player, if it is "flawed" is it seriously noticeable in "normal" domestic environments, cosnsidering to change the receiver would need another £1,500 or so (gulp), difficult one as the spend on the 52W5500 has only just met with full approval!!! ?

Would really appreciate opinions from users on this.

Thanks

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
What...............lack of interest or is it that nobody has analogue out to their AV amp from their BD player??

C'mon, please tell .................even if I am the only one interested

Pretty please.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The "flawed" comment refers specifically to the Oppo player, rather than BDPs in general, so you're looking for someone who a) has bought the Oppo (which for the 831, is nobody, so you're after someone who got the 83 import) and b) is using the analogue outputs.

I'd guess that's a pretty small field to be honest, which might explain the lack of answers.

The Sony 760 player is pretty new as well, so again the number of users is going to be somewhat limited.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I think the common consensus is: If you're decoding on board the BD player, the quality of the BD player becomes more important than if you were sending the 'raw information' via HDMI to a receiver which decodes.

I've not decoded on-board BD myself (my S350 lacks multi-outs and my 875 can recieve and decode HD audio, so I've not seen the need even if I was able) I have seen posts where people have done comparisons between the two methods and they tend to favour decoding by the receiver as being marginally 'better'. Not that BD decoding was bad in any way, but not quite as good. Cheaper too, as you only need 1 HDMI rather than 3 or even 4 pairs of analogue interconnects.

I'd stick to using the analogue outs and save that £1500!!

A

Anonymous

Hi Big Chris,

Slightly off topic! I see you have an Arcam CD192. I just wondered how you rate it. I currently use a Cyrus Discmaster 8.0 for CD playback.

Cheers.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Bemused:

Hi Big Chris,

Slightly off topic! I see you have an Arcam CD192. I just wondered how you rate it. I currently use a Cyrus Discmaster 8.0 for CD playback.

Cheers.

Love it. Only got it this year after having a CD72T for 7 years. Major leap forward. More of a leap forward than changing my amp from an A65+ to an A85 was.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

Much appreciated. I might look to upgrade to one.

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

Had exact same issue.

In the end I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD55 to supplement my current setup

My findings with using this player are:

- 7.1 and 5.1 analogue output works great for Blu-Ray

- Also acceptable for DVD - but find that my Arcam DVD does a noticably better job

- CD playback is horrible - again against my Arcam DVD

- Setup options (subwoofer cut-over frequency, speaker delay etc.) is not as good as the Arcam. These are again sufficient for Blu Ray, but not acceptable for CD with Subwoofer etc.

So check that you get all setup options in the player you choose. The amplifier will be a volume control and nothing more

TR

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Roten,

thanks for the info, pleased that someone else has the experience, and Yes I'm aware of the set up process needed through the Blu Ray player, thanks again

As for dvd and cd play back do you then use the coaxial or optical outputs to the Arcam?

Regds

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I have analogue only, as my amplifiers don't have any decoding what so ever (see signature)

I therefore must leave all setup and processing to the players

TR

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts