Blu-tac under speakers on stands yes/no

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
in my experience before I converted to floorstanders, yes to blu-tac between speaker and stand.

There is even an alternative to blu-tac called black-tac.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-black-strength-adhesive-photographers/dp/B0051BT40K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481014645&sr=8-2&keywords=black+tac

*music2*

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
macdiddy said:
in my experience before I converted to floorstanders, yes to blu-tac between speaker and stand.

There is even an alternative to blu-tac called black-tac.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-black-strength-adhesive-photographers/dp/B0051BT40K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481014645&sr=8-2&keywords=black+tac

*music2*

That black-tac is actually in my amazon basket at the moment. Will buy when I get another few bits n pieces to take

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't be without it. Three pea-sized blobs per speaker, in a triangle with a point of the triangle facing forward and the base facing backwards.

Anyone who advises anything else has cloth ears and shouldn't even be in this hobby :p

jjbomber

muljao said:
There are some pretty heavy and serious discussions going on here at the moment. So a simple question. In your experience is the blu-tac a good idea

I placed blu-tac under my speakers. At that moment my wife walked into the room and asked if I had upgraded my hi-fi, as the sound was so much clearer. Conclusive, scientific proof that blu-tac is a good idea.

matthewpiano

Just make sure you only buy the proper 'Blu-tac' branded one, wrap it in silver foil, and then freeze it for 5 days. Then remove the silver foil, and cut the blu-tac into precise pieces of 2cm x 2cm and roll them into balls. This is the only way to get the most improvement in sound...

Seriously, I have blu-tac under my speakers, but it's simply a practical measure to stop them being knocked over when visitors come. I've never heard any discernable difference in sound performance with or without blu-tac.

If you do use blu-tac make sure that when you remove the speakers in future you use a twisting action an do it gently. On some speakers it is all too easy to start pulling bits of vinyl wrap or veneer off.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Just make sure you only buy the proper 'Blu-tac' branded one, wrap it in silver foil, and then freeze it for 5 days. Then remove the silver foil, and cut the blu-tac into precise pieces of 2cm x 2cm and roll them into balls. This is the only way to get the most improvement in sound...

Seriously, I have blu-tac under my speakers, but it's simply a practical measure to stop them being knocked over when visitors come. I've never heard any discernable difference in sound performance with or without blu-tac.

If you do use blu-tac make sure that when you remove the speakers in future you use a twisting action an do it gently. On some speakers it is all too easy to start pulling bits of vinyl wrap or veneer off.

You took the words out of my mouth. Been there, done that!

Samd

ID. said:
Wouldn't be without it. Three pea-sized blobs per speaker, in a triangle with a point of the triangle facing forward and the base facing backwards.

Anyone who advises anything else has cloth ears and shouldn't even be in this hobby :p

Does it matter which point you use at the front? If you had said 'isosceles', I wouldn't have asked.*smile*

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Samd said:
ID. said:

Does it matter which point you use at the front?  If you had said 'isosceles', I wouldn't have asked.*smile*

That's where it gets controversial and I didn't want to drag the forum back to the great Blu-Tack placement wars we had a few years ago. Put the cable and active speaker wars to shame. I still carry the psychological and physical scars.

Samd

ID. said:
Samd said:
ID. said:

Does it matter which point you use at the front? If you had said 'isosceles', I wouldn't have asked.*smile*

That's where it gets controversial and I didn't want to drag the forum back to the great Blu-Tack placement wars we had a few years ago. Put the cable and active speaker wars to shame. I still carry the psychological and physical scars.

Ok thanks - nearly there! Pea-sized. Are we talking marrowfat, petit pois or mushy?

Wanted to echo the points above, as I'd hesitate to use on a decent veneered cabinet. Fine on vinyl wrap black ash, like my old Missions, and with care in removing. I used it on my Celestion SL600s too, but as they were stolen I never saw what damage was caused!

But if I was getting new Harbeths, for example, I think I'd take more care, or even try felt pads. Or at least resolve to myself that I'm never going to see the base of the speaker, so stop worrying.

Samd said:
ID. said:
Samd said:
ID. said:

Ok thanks - nearly there! Pea-sized. Are we talking marrowfat, petit pois or mushy?
I'd use fully grown pea size!

It would be a nice idea if speaker and stand manufacturers universally done what b&w has done with the fs700 and cm series of speakers as in that they actually bolt on to the stand.(Would save so many mishaps and possible injury to inquisitive youngsters)..those cm5's and fs700's were absolutely solid once a tub of attabites had been funnelled in.oh and I use bluetack with my pmc's and atacama moseco.

Samd said:
ID. said:
Samd said:
ID. said:

I believe it has been scientifically proven that the size of your average English Garden pea is optimal. ;-)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
Samd said:
ID. said:

Sh**! I've been using four blobs, no wonder they sounded awful *shok*

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
It is crucial to buy the blu tac from the most expensive retailer, it is another scientifically proven fact that you get what you pay for in the hifi world.

It's also worth remembering that blu tac is directional, using it upside down will have detrimental effects on your 3D sounstaging and transparency.

shadders

Gaz37 said:
It is crucial to buy the blu tac from the most expensive retailer, it is another scientifically proven fact that you get what you pay for in the hifi world.

It's also worth remembering that blu tac is directional, using it upside down will have detrimental effects on your 3D sounstaging and transparency.
Hi,

I use bogeys. They are are in good supply, and provide a better sounstage, although vocals can sound quite nasal.

They have the added benefit of being biodegradable, so kinder to the environment.

They are though, difficult to position when flicking them from my settee onto the speaker stands, 3 metres away.

Regards,

Shadders.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
Gaz37 said:

Hi,

I use bogeys. They are are in good supply, and provide a better sounstage, although vocals can sound quite nasal.

They have the added benefit of being biodegradable, so kinder to the environment.

They are though, difficult to position when flicking them from my settee onto the speaker stands, 3 metres away.

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely

shadders

muljao said:
shadders said:
Gaz37 said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely
Hi,

Just to make sure, it was a joke.

Regards,

Shadders.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
muljao said:
shadders said:
Gaz37 said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely
Hi,

Just to make sure, it was a joke.

Regards,

Shadders.

Lovely....funny :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts