Blu-ray / Wi-Fi features why?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In relation to Sony bdp760 review what does its wi-fi feature actually bring to your set up. Is its only purpose to access BD live, why do i need it if all i want is top notch audio and picture quality. Can i access my home computer and stream (if thats the correct term) music or pics thru it. Is it this feature only that resulted in its 5* award over the oppo, please advise.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the function of the wi-fi is principally to allow access to the BD-Live extended content, but players can also update their firmware automatically over the wi-fi connection.

If the player doesn't have wi-fi, it needn't cost a fortune to add it to the Ethernet port - I did it on the Oppo for £18.

No, that isn't the only reason it outgunned the Oppo.

manicm

Wifi is not strictly necessary, but an increasing number of players include it now, having the following advantages:

• Firmware can be updated directly from the internet.
  • Some BD titles have additional content to be downloaded from the net.
  • And obviously for the above 2 points having built-in Wifi is much more convenient than connecting to the internet through ethernet (cable).

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
manicm:

Wifi is not strictly necessary, but an increasing number of players include it now, having the following advantages:

• Firmware can be updated directly from the internet.
  • Some BD titles have additional content to be downloaded from the net.
  • And obviously for the above 2 points having built-in Wifi is much more convenient than connecting to the internet through ethernet (cable).

beat me to it

Andrew Everard:

Yes, the function of the wi-fi is principally to allow access to the BD-Live extended content, but players can also update their firmware automatically over the wi-fi connection.

If the player doesn't have wi-fi, it needn't cost a fortune to add it to the Ethernet port - I did it on the Oppo for £18.

Andrew, did the Belkin adapter work with Windows Vista?

A

Anonymous

Is it true that this player can only stream/show pictures from the network/USB input?

Does anyone know if there are plans of a firmware update allowing possible music/movie playback as well?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:Andrew, did the Belkin adapter work with Windows Vista?

Didn't even try - as now mainly using Macs at home, used my little Advent go-everywhere netbook to set the adapter up.

mjs

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

But the Belkin you used is not supported by either Vista or Windows 7 apparently

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Did I say it was? Not using either Vista or 7, I didn't check.

The only reason you need the computer is to set up the Belkin device - after that it plugs into the Oppo and the problem doesn't arise.

And anyway, there are lots of wireless Ethernet bridges on the market, just none as cheap as this AFAICS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts