Blu-Ray:Wall-E Vs Monsters Inc or Other Demo Discs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

not watched it on BD but its good on DVD, so how about Heat? the bank shoot out should be good ;o) as should the airport runway bits at the end

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
fancyabrew:not watched it on BD but its good on DVD, so how about Heat? the bank shoot out should be good ;o) as should the airport runway bits at the end

A spectacular film, with an absolute knockout job on audio post-production (they taught it to us as an example in school when I was studying post). One of the crown jewels on Soundelux's illustrious CV.

Interesting bits about that movie from an audio perspective...

Michael Mann didn't want any lines looped because of his belief that it sounds fake, so there are none. Every once in a while you can hear heavily EQ'd dialogue to try and cut as much background noise as possible- especially scenes shot near the ocean.

When they shut down the street in North Hollywood to do the robbery scene, after completing photography, the Soundelux guys came in and dumped a couple of dumptrucks worth of sand at the end of the street. They had rigged all angles around the street with hundreds of mics and got an armorer to provide all sorts of military weaponry for recording. They fired off well over a thousand rounds of ammunition and, as a result, are the "go-to" sound library for urban gunfire. No-one had realistic sound of gunfire interacting with glass buildings on any sort of scale before this.

Unfortunately it's not available yet on Blu-ray, but it's due for release on the 9th of November. I've already got my pre-order in of course.

A

Anonymous

I must admit it one of my fav films, still yet to see or hear a better shootout in any film!

Sliced Bread

Tom Moreno:The opening Paramount logo with the bass pulses and then the ensuing chaos at the base leaves just about every friends' jaw somewhere near the floor and giddy.

The Paramount and Dreamwork logos sound great on DVD too, so hopefully the blu-ray would be better
emotion-1.gif

Has anyone tried the Order Of The Phoenix?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
IMHO whilst all the animated movies look super sharp and extreamly colourfull on BD they are not really what I would deam DEMO material as they will not show you exactly how good your set up is as IMHO they are quite forgiving due to their bright nature of the movies.

If I were thinking of a disc I would use as a demo disk I would want one that not only shows just how good BD can be but also the tallents of the screen/sound system in which the BD player is being used. So for me I would use The Dark Night(the bits filmed in IMAX are definatly the best I have seen on BD) and Blade Runner for it's often dark and gloomy backdrops with those beautyfull neon lights to show off just how good the format can be.

A

Anonymous

I simply cannot wait for Gladiator to be released - omg!!!!

I love blu ray and will watch anything and think it's ace, cannot get by without it now!

Gladiator better be worth waiting for?

Matt

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Gladiator was mixed in discrete 6.1 surround so I sincerely hope that the BD will bring us this mix as the DVD release had the full DTS-ES 6.1 discrete mix. If it doesn't I will be quite disappointed. There are key scenes in that film that show off the spacial performance of back surround channels.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Animated films tend to always look quite good, to give your blu-ray and telly a good test, I'd say 'The Dark Knight' for blacks, chapter 6 of 'Knowing' for sound (prepare yourself!), 'Apocalypto' for picture (superb colour) and 'I, Robot' for good picture and sound (tunnel scene).

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
pete321:
Animated films tend to always look quite good, to give your blu-ray and telly a good test, .
Id agree with this to an extent but Cars does certainly stand out more than the others as i hav'nt seen another thats matched it for its superb fine detail etc.Also i'd like to recommend "flyboys" its not only a superb transfer for PQ but the DTS master audio soundtrack is amazing with the aerial dog fights, wonderful surround steering its certainly one of my demo discs thats for sure.

A

Anonymous

Check out 'The good, the bad and the weird'. A live action film that is excellent PQ. The film's not bad either.

A

Anonymous

Working my way through the Harry Potter discs at the moment - very good. Prince Caspian picture quality is absolutely stunning.

As already mentioned Zodiac and Blade Runner are superb. I've got high hopes for Leon when it comes out in September!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

The best Movies for sound and video to test are !

WAll E / I am legend / The Dark knight

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't do kids films, but I got Wall-E with my bluray player, and it is absolutely the best film I have seen on bluray. If this was shown on TVs in all electronic outlets, then everyone would buy a bluray player. It is absolutely astonishing resolution, and as close to 3D as any film I have seen. Anytime someone comes to my house who doesn't have a bluray player, I always put this on to show them how good it is.

Another recommendation would be Bladerunner. This is only good if you are already a fan of the film. One of my favourite films of all time, and I cannot believe how good the bluray version is. Be careful of some older films now out on bluray though. My nephew bought Predator, and whoever put that out on bluray needs prosecuting as it is woeful.

One thing you should keep in mind is the upscaling ability of most bluray players. If you're a fan of Lord of The Rings I would suggest you get this on soonest. My original Sony 350, and latterly Pioneer BDP 51 have upscaled this to near HD resolution. In fact I will not buy it on bluray when they do eventually release it as the upscaled picture is phenomena.

A

Anonymous

WALL-E: Perfect visuals and an amazing soundtrack. Ben Burtt is a master. How many other modern-day films have no dialogue for a third of the film and still entertains you so thoroughly?
The Fall: Reference video.
Hellboy II: Amazing AV quality.
I, Robot: Reference transfer.
Matrix Trilogy: Great AV.
Blade Runner: The Final Cut.
Knowing: rubbish film, demo AV.
300: Like watching it at the cinema.
Sin City: Superb transfer and decent audio.
Enchanted: Brilliant AV.
I Am Legend: Not my cup of tea, but an impressive disc.
The Incredible Hulk: Great MA track.
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Very film-like transfer and decent audio.
Iron Man: Great AV. Very natural.
Kung Fu Panda: Very nice looking disc.
Man on Fire: Stunning AV.
The Bourne Trilogy: Brilliant AV all round.
Watchmen: Brilliant AV. Very cinematic.
Zodiac: Great transfer.
X-Men Trilogy: Very good AV.

Loads more of course, but they spring to mind.

My original Sony 350, and latterly Pioneer BDP 51 have upscaled this to
near HD resolution. In fact I will not buy it on bluray when they do
eventually release it as the upscaled picture is phenomena.

Nowhere near HD resolution I'm afraid. Interpolation can do a fairly good job, but 1080p is 5-6 times 'better' than NTSC or PAL DVD. The BDs will blow the DVDs away, especially on larger displays.

Predator is not woeful either. It's actually not a bad transfer given the source material and the fact that it hasn't been subject to a costly restoration. Not everything is supposed to look like glossy animation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts