Blu ray Review Request to WHF Team - Can you please comment on both..

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi

There are AV systems out there that require the Blu Ray player to do the decoding rather than the reciever.

In reviews sound is always commented on but its rare to see the reference to either PCM or Bitstream.

I know review time is tight - however I feel the inclusion of testing of both could be done and commented back on please - or at least clearly sepcifying in the review sound via sounds like this......

Thanks very much

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
ellisdj said:
There are AV systems out there that require the Blu Ray player to do the decoding rather than the reciever.

What, still? Wow...

Thats how several high end systems do it and its argued by them to be the best soundign method - trying to be clever there werent you

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No, it was a genuine question, I know a lot of early HDMI equipped amps couldn't decode (particularly at the budget end) but that was some time ago, hence the query, however now you mention it I do recall seeing a news story about a high-end processor (I don't think it was even an amp) that didn't carry HD audio decoding, in fact I think I commented on it at the time, was it an Anthem perhaps?

In which case, good point, particularly for top-end players.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The 2 I know 1 is the Audiolab Processor - very highly regarded.

The other is what I have the Meridian system of HD621 added to any other their processors.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Good point.

If you've got a really good blu-ray player with its own decoding mastery ( Oppo 105,
CA 751 etc), then what's the point in the av receiver having its own attempt and significant cost for decoding.

I was thinking of upgrading my Pioneer VSX LX52 to the 86, but so much of it would be wasted money, I think?
(My 751 already does a great job of decoding DAC,)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Good point.

If you've got a really good blu-ray player with its own decoding mastery ( Oppo 105,
CA 751 etc), then what's the point in the av receiver having its own attempt and significant cost for decoding.

I was thinking of upgrading my Pioneer VSX LX52 to the 86, but so much of it would be wasted money, I think?

I dont agree with that - a lot of the extra money will go into better pre amp / amplification and dac quality which will definately make an imprevement.- the 86 will def sound better than the 56

The processing will probably be better as well (better chips) - dont get confused decoding is not processing.

In theory it probably shouldnt make any difference - the same as every blu ray player should soud the same if it feeds the amp Bitstream - however thats not reported as the case and not my experience either

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
DandyCobalt said:
Good point.

I dont agree with that - a lot of the extra money will go into better pre amp / amplification and dac quality which will definately make an imprevement.- the 86 will def sound better than the 56

The processing will probably be better as well (better chips) - dont get confused decoding is not processing.

In theory it probably shouldnt make any difference - the same as every blu ray player should soud the same if it feeds the amp Bitstream - however thats not reported as the case and not my experience either

Spot on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts