Blu-Ray player with 25p or 50p output?

Mr.H

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Sony S380 Blu-Ray player and I'm a bit disappointed. My TV is a Samsung PS50Q96HD plasma which doesn't support 1080/24p so the Sony is converting Blu-Rays to 720/60p and introducing really horrible judder on slow horizontal pans.

I can't afford to get a new TV so my question is: are there any Blu-Ray players that will output at 25 fps? This would be achieved by playing the film 25/24 times faster, with clever things done to the audio to ensure it doesn't change pitch.

Paul.

3:2 pulldown is the standard way of playing back 24p content on non compatible sets, the judder comes from repeating frames either three times or two times in alternation. (12fps*3)+(12fps*2)= 60fps.

My Panasonic TV is not 24fps so I feel your pain, but when I upgraded my ps3 fat to a Panasonic BDT-310 motion got much better. No idea how it's doing it though...

Mr.H

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

Paul Hobbs said:
3:2 pulldown is the standard way of playing back 24p content on non compatible sets

Yes, I know; I just hadn't realised that the only way of getting 24p out of the blu-ray player is in 1080/24p (I'm not sure but I think my TV might handle a 720/24p signal) so I hadn't expected to experience this problem.

If there are no players that will do the speed-up trick, are there any that do motion-adaptive frame interpolation instead of 3:2 pulldown?

gagagaga

May 27, 2009
Visit site
If your player has 1080i as an option, try that. It should output the 24p by inserting the pulldown flags in the 60i stream and the TV will have best chance of reconstructing to 24p (even if it won't take a 24p input directly) ... these things were sold in the US where this is the normal state of affairs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts