Blu-ray player to surpass PS3 - audio only?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Listening to Radiohead's King Of Limbs Live From The Basement Blu-ray made me ponder the question: could a budget of £300 buy a better player of Blu-rays, in terms of audio playback, than my existing PS3?

I have a fair number of music-orientated Blu-rays, (I'm not a huge feature film watcher), so the primary purpose would be to listen to live concerts and music documentaries on this format.

(Currently, my PS3 is optically connected to my DAC).

A

Anonymous

Try the Panasonic DMP-BDT100, I use it for my music DVD and blu rays (U2, Bon Jovi, Queen etc). There is also the ones above, 200 and 300 if I remember. The colours on the 100 and 300 are amazing and DTS HD, and 5.1 surround options if the set up i good then IMO its a better player. (Mine goes through a Tacima CS929 and YES the colours ARE BRIGHTER, NO NOISE ETC). I set mine to bitstream on all sound options and let the AMP do the work. The sony SPINNERS ARE OK AS TO THE samsung's, but for the price its 3D ready (soon MUSIC will be 3d, with MTV and more music channels showing 3d, with 3d music vids to follow soon (the Glassless 3d TV LG looks amazing). Hope this helps

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The Panasonics (110, 210 and 310) are the best-sounding 'budget' Blu-ray players around. Dunno if your PS3 is anything like mine, Charlie, but it sounds fine for an hour or so and then the operating noise begins its inevitabe jet-engine impersonation.

A

Anonymous

Charlie Jefferson said:
Listening to Radiohead's King Of Limbs Live From The Basement Blu-ray made me ponder the question: could a budget of £300 buy a better player of Blu-rays, in terms of audio playback, than my existing PS3?

I have a fair number of music-orientated Blu-rays, (I'm not a huge feature film watcher), so the primary purpose would be to listen to live concerts and music documentaries on this format.

(Currently, my PS3 is optically connected to my DAC).

I had a Panny BD50. Playing from optical or HDMI out the picture and sound were (in my view) identical to my PS3. I ended up ditching the panny because the PS3 is quicker and more functional. The only possible difference in sound is jitter. Most DACs handle this pretty well anyway. I'd stick with the PS3, unless you want to be able to turn the TV off and use it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts