Blu-ray player that plays DVD-Audio and SACD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Soon I'll be looking at possibly replacing my multiregion Denon DVD-1940 with a Blu-ray player.

Part of the reason for buying the Denon a few years back was so I could play the DVD-Audio and SACD discs that I have (a decent sized collection of them) and this is fed through the 5.1 multichannel out to the 5.1 multichannel in on my current AV amplifier (Sony STR-DB790, no HDMI inputs) for the advanced resolution goodness.

I'd now like Blu-ray playback whilst keeping the DVD playing side of it multiregion (I've got a fair number of Region 1 only discs) and to keep the DVD-A and SACD features. This may mean upgrading my AV amp as well which I'm not afraid to do if need be.

Any suggested ideas/recommendations would be welcomed.

A

Anonymous

Budget wise I'd be looking at around £600-700 for the two if I were to replace both.

Another option would be to keep the Denon for surround audio and get either one of the Panasonic or Sony Blu-ray players (say BDPS-480 for example) and output that via optical and Coaxial to the Sony receiver, thus allowing for future upgrade but meaning one more box.

The Denon DBP-2012UD might also be a contender, it has multichannel out from there so would fit the existing setup well - just wish that their lower end Universal players had multichannel out really..

manicm

WazP, I'd forget the Cambridge Audio 651 and Oppo 93, give up beers or cigarettes for a month, and stretch to the 750 quid Denon DBP-2012UD - unofficially it can be had for even less.

Remember, after all you are buying a Blu-ray player as well and I'm guessing the Denon will have both beat soundly on both movies and music.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
WazP, I'd forget the Cambridge Audio 651 and Oppo 93, give up beers or cigarettes for a month, and stretch to the 750 quid Denon DBP-2012UD - unofficially it can be had for even less.

Remember, after all you are buying a Blu-ray player as well and I'm guessing the Denon will have both beat soundly on both movies and music.

Guessing? That's not a very good basis for making a significant purchase...

The_Lhc said:
manicm said:

:grin:

BTW, the Denon can be had for £479 at most places.

manicm

bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:
manicm said:

:grin:

BTW, the Denon can be had for £479 at most places.

Exactly, and while I am very happy with my CA 751BD (slightly dim picture apart) I have a sneaky suspicion I would have been happier with the Marantz/Denon.

If WHF's reviews are to go by, then it's not a guess that the Denon/Marantz would resolutely beat the admittedly cheaper 651BD, and logic would dictate the Oppo 93 as well (it shares the same video processing as the older 650BD right?).

So let's call my opinion an educated and likely correct guess. And at 479 the Denon is a complete steal - to the OP go for it now!

The only problem with Denon currently is, that I know of at least 2 dealers who have not been happy with Denon's quality of late. They didn't seem surprised at the massive proce drop of their receivers & blu ray players. Even the Marantz 7006 has dropped in price considerably.

Oppo 93 uses the same video processor as Cambridge Audio 751BD; Marvell QDEO. The 650BD uses Mediatek processor.

I wish you would get your facts right; the guesswork is not helping OP.

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
my 2p's worth here, i have an older pre hdmi amp but which is still very good imo & i use a 650bd which plays all you ask for plus on the HD AUDIO side it sounds brilliant, a tad quieter than the amp processing dts dd etc... but a natural clean and well detailed HD audio, no background noise.

bigg boss is generally someone to take advice from if that helps.

best of luck

manicm

bigboss said:
The only problem with Denon currently is, that I know of at least 2 dealers who have not been happy with Denon's quality of late. They didn't seem surprised at the massive proce drop of their receivers & blu ray players. Even the Marantz 7006 has dropped in price considerably.

Oppo 93 uses the same video processor as Cambridge Audio 751BD; Marvell QDEO. The 650BD uses Mediatek processor.

Fine, what specifically were the Denon/Marantz's faults?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies folks, certainly given me plenty to think about there.

The Cambridge and the Oppo would also be on the shortlist if I were to spend £500 on a blu-ray universal machine - and having been used to the Denon's sound on the DVD-1940 I already have, it did make some sense to look at the UD2012 too.

However, one curve ball might be this. What if I get a universal blu-ray player that does DSD over HDMI, and then upgraded the AC receiver to one with HDMI inputs that also accepts DSD, so that SACD would transport over that?

The Pioneer BDP-440 definitely does DSD for example (or say the Denon 1611) - then I could get the Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver as well. Might then mean at least the receiver's a bit more future-proofed as well - any thoughts?

manicm said:
bigboss said:

I'm not aware of any known faults in blu-ray players. This is just to pause & think before making a recommendation / purchase. Why have Denon products fallen drastically in price? Despite that, why aren't dealers recommending them as a bargain, especially their AV receivers? Only time will tell.

WazP said:
Thanks for the replies folks, certainly given me plenty to think about there.

The Cambridge and the Oppo would also be on the shortlist if I were to spend £500 on a blu-ray universal machine - and having been used to the Denon's sound on the DVD-1940 I already have, it did make some sense to look at the UD2012 too.

However, one curve ball might be this. What if I get a universal blu-ray player that does DSD over HDMI, and then upgraded the AC receiver to one with HDMI inputs that also accepts DSD, so that SACD would transport over that?

The Pioneer BDP-440 definitely does DSD for example (or say the Denon 1611) - then I could get the Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver as well. Might then mean at least the receiver's a bit more future-proofed as well - any thoughts?

Upgrading your AV receiver for future proofing is not a bad idea. This will also enable you to look at blu ray players without analogue outs, like the Pioneer you mentioned.

manicm

bigboss said:
manicm said:
bigboss said:

I'm not aware of any known faults in blu-ray players. This is just to pause & think before making a recommendation / purchase. Why have Denon products fallen drastically in price? Despite that, why aren't dealers recommending them as a bargain, especially their AV receivers? Only time will tell.

So your guessing is no better than mine. Regardless of the price reduction, you can't be sure of the faults - if dealers told you they had problems, then they can be specific. Also, Marantz/Denon owners would have aired their dissatisfaction here as well. And owners have had ample time - both players are nearly a year old as well. And I'm sure the CA can be found discounted as well, and if not is not because Richer Sounds sells them exclusively?

I never said not to consider the Denon. You're missing the point here. You confidently brushed off Oppo & CA without even checking Oppo's & Denon's performance. At least I've seen the players perform. Reviews are there for all to read & make their mind up, but recommending products on a forum on the basis of the reviews with such confidence is misleading if you haven't seen the players in action.

John Duncan

30-15...

popcorn.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts