Blu ray player or CD

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I know it has been covered before but I need some advice.

At present I use a Micro mega drive 1 cd transport which is fantastic.

I need a blu ray player. Will the Micro mega out perform say an Oppo 95/ CA 751 for cd play back?

If I am happy with the DAC's on the Arcam AVR 500 is there not a blu ray transport available so i dont waste £ on a blu ray player with great DAC's that will always be by passed or am I missing the point? A bit confused.

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
If you just want a transport, then the oppo 93 is what Id recommend. Unless your not actually interested in it being a bluray and only going to be a cd player in which case what you have is fine

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thats what I was thinking. I cant see the point in paying for really expensive dac's if I am not going to use them.Does the Oppo stream sacd through hdmi does anyone know?

Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, the oppo will stream SACD through HDMI (in true bitstream if required, which I assume your amp would accept)

It also allows DVDA and HDCD bitstreamed. Has the best scaler you can buy for the money (this is subjective, but possibly the best scaler you can buy period). Plays MKV and FLAC files (5.1 flac - 24 bit). Can even stream to it wirlessly (To watch HD movied from a hardrive for example)

The DACS on the 95 would definitely be better than the dacs on your arcam just so your aware though

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for your advice. Do you think the 95 would out perfom the Micro Mega for cd play back using it internal Dacs?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sounds very subjective.

What your asking there is if a 95 would be better than a transport?

Id imagine the micromega is a vary capable transport, so if your using the arcams dacs than leave it at that. Your not going to get much (if any) audible difference using different transports with the Arcam (Mainly due to it being an av amp, to me it wouldnt be as good as a dedicated cd and 2 channal amp). Of course if you want a bluray player in place of the transport, then the 93 should be fine. The 95 'might' be a slight step up due to its uprated power supply. The 95 would sound quite different if you compared using its dacs to what you use now.

Im definitely not going to go on record to suggest a 95 simply as a transport. If I was 'just' after a cd transport id be looking at ebay for a top notch one (chord blue say). But again, the arcam would probably be holding it back.

Im no fan of QED cables either, id imagine theyre not helping.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts