Blu-ray for Yam Z7

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've asked this before but my DVDP snuffed it last night, I think it's a sign, heh. CD player went last year so I need a player for all disc-spinning duties.

I'm planning to partner a Yam Z7 with my celestion A3 L/R and A1's, and wondering whether to buy a decent blu ray deck now or buy panasonic and wait a year or so till there's more choice, and 2nd blu-ray deck would be usefull anyway.

I want something thats primarily good with music, looking to spend in the order of £600 or so.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
At the £600 mark you are really in between the entry level models and the start of the higher end units. The new BD7004 from Marantz might be worth a look or the older BD8002 - we have several customers who have matched them to a Z7. Other than that there is the Sony BDP5000es but that is a bit beyond your budget.

If you decide to wait a BD60 from Panasonic would be a good machine to start with.

A

Anonymous

unconditional:

I've asked this before but my DVDP snuffed it last night, I think it's a sign, heh. CD player went last year so I need a player for all disc-spinning duties.

I'm planning to partner a Yam Z7 with my celestion A3 L/R and A1's, and wondering whether to buy a decent blu ray deck now or buy panasonic and wait a year or so till there's more choice, and 2nd blu-ray deck would be usefull anyway.

I want something thats primarily good with music, looking to spend in the order of £600 or so.

Did you read Andrew Everard's Blog on the OPPO 831 , might be just what you need considering music?

You might want to read the forum threads on the OPPO if you have the stomach for some lively debate

Just pointing you in a certain direction , don't shoot the messenger guys and gals

A

Anonymous

I have the yamaha blu ray BDS 2900 hooked up to my Z7 and i'm very happy with it. Yamaha have 2 new blu ray players which are cheaper than the BDS 2900. Models S1065 and S1900.

unconditional:

Hi uc

You should also consider Yamaha's new BDS1900 at £550.00. I saw it in action last week and the picture and sound were very impressive. The BDS1900 should be out within the next few weeks.

Btw, if you wish to wait than Panasonic's BD60 is ideal.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

What do you think of the BDS 1900 compared to the BDS 2900? I'm thinking of getting a second player for my entertainment area, i have the BDS 2900 in my cinema room.

A

Anonymous

If that was my choice right now I would be seriously looking at the OPPO BDP-831 (hope I got that model number right). Its released in the UK this Wednesday (£450 I think from memory). Don't forget the whsv awards Issue is due out very shortly too for more consideration.

One thing to bear in mind though blu-ray players like dvd players never sound as good as a dedicated cd player (although some may argue the OPPO does (I wouldn't know. Like most people I haven't heard/seen one)).

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I noticed the new Yam players coming out and I've also browsed some of the colourfull oppo threads, seems promising.

The price can creep for something really worth it, but my experience from looking around 6 months or so ago was that while there's a good choice of HD cinema amps about the higher end manufacturers were slow with blu-ray, presumably only just starting production after the format war sorted itself out, which was why I've been leaving it.

barnsleydave:

One thing to bear in mind though blu-ray players like dvd players never sound as good as a dedicated cd player (although some may argue the OPPO does (I wouldn't know. Like most people I haven't heard/seen one)).

This I gave some thought to, splitting the money 50/50 with a budget blu-ray and a dedicated CD player. Only thing is I've got a couple of blu-ray concert's and am anticipating more music on blu-ray, given the players proliferation over SACD, DVDA etc, which swings me back into spending it all on a more musical blu-ray deck.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As already mentioned, the Awards issue is only a few weeks away....
emotion-2.gif
We've rated musicality of all Blu-ray players, as well as their movie performance.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare, will the Awards issue include the new Yamaha Blu-ray players?

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Clare, presumably when you talk about rating musicality you mean via the analogue connections? Are you finding that when bitsteaming via HDMI to a suitable A/V amp, which more and more people are doing, that there is little or no difference in sound quality between the blu-ray players you are testing?

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Many players feature a dedicated two-channel output for CD playback, which we will use during testing, but you can also comment about musicality of a player when using the HDMI output. And, it's still possible to tell sonic differences between players even when you bitstream the sound...

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:As already mentioned, the Awards issue is only a few weeks away....
emotion-2.gif
We've rated musicality of all Blu-ray players, as well as their movie performance.

Arrghh, I'm using the PC ATM (50" plasma set up as a 2nd screen, heh) but it's doing my swede in, especially for music.

Is the Yam 1900 included in that? Given that it's not in the shops yet and looks an ideal match I guess I'm gonna be waiting....

Charl:

Hi Rick,

What do you think of the BDS 1900 compared to the BDS 2900? I'm thinking of getting a second player for my entertainment area, i have the BDS 2900 in my cinema room.

Hi Charl

Thanks for your post.

My initial impression was that the BD-S1900's picture looked sharper and more potent than the BD-S2900. The BD-S1900 also has a more dynamic sound than the BD-S2900.
emotion-1.gif

Btw, i still love the BD-S2900. It takes quite a bit of tlc to get the best out of it though but it worth the effort.
emotion-2.gif
emotion-5.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:Charl:

Hi Rick,

Hi Charl

Thanks for your post.

My initial impression was that the BD-S1900's picture looked sharper and more potent than the BD-S2900. The BD-S1900 also has a more dynamic sound than the BD-S2900.
emotion-1.gif

Btw, i still love the BD-S2900. It takes quite a bit of tlc to get the best out of it though but it worth the effort.
emotion-2.gif
emotion-5.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response. If the price difference wasn't an issue would you choose the BD-S2900?

Charl:MUSICRAFT:Charl:

Hi Rick,

Hi Charl

Thanks for your post.

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif
emotion-5.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response. If the price difference wasn't an issue would you choose the BD-S2900?

Hi Charl

Thanks for your post.

I saw the BDS1900 again yesterday at Yamaha HQ in Milton Keynes and the performance confirmed to me again that the BDS1900's picture is sharper, more potent and the sound is more dynamic than the BDS2900.

There is not a massive price difference between the BDS1900 (£550) and the BDS2900 (£700) however if it were not for the new model than i would still have a BDS2900 without hesitation.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

The BDS1900 has not arrived in South Africa yet, i based my price difference on the USA Yamaha website which shows that the BDS1900 is half the price of the BDS2900, pricing could be different once it arrives here. I might get the BDS1900 for my cinema room and then move the BDS2900 to the entertainment area.

Charl:

Hi Rick,

The BDS1900 has not arrived in South Africa yet, i based my price difference on the USA Yamaha website which shows that the BDS1900 is half the price of the BDS2900, pricing could be different once it arrives here. I might get the BDS1900 for my cinema room and then move the BDS2900 to the entertainment area.

Hi Charl

Thanks for your post.

Good idea.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all replies.

The oppo has always looked good on paper, but the mail-order-only thing is a little offputting. Looking the most likely candidate though...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts