Blu-Ray Audio

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Just received Mojo by Tom Petty on Blu-Ray Audio disc. I put it in the PC to see how much of the 25GB had been used, only 3.79GB! Seems pointless putting it on a Blu-Ray, why not make it as an AVCHD and put it on a single layer DVD?

11657_front.jpg

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Unlike Blueray, the audio on DVD's has to be compressed (apart from on DVD-A, which hardly anyone can play). Thus it might fit on the disc, but it would have to be downmixed to lower quality in order for a normal DVD player to play it.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure whether AVCHD as a format can support Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA, but it can support 5.1 LPCM which isn't compressed.

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
There are some Blueray players that don't support AVCHD, plenty of people are still wary.

Plus using a DVD and AVCHD is purely a cost-cutting measure for the manufacturer, I doubt the finished product would have been any cheaper to buy.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
Just received Mojo by Tom Petty on Blu-Ray Audio disc. I put it in the PC to see how much of the 25GB had been used, only 3.79GB! Seems pointless putting it on a Blu-Ray, why not make it as an AVCHD and put it on a single layer DVD?

11657_front.jpg

I think some perspective is needed here....

This is an audio release, with just 15 tracks - that's going to take up a fraction of the space on a Blu-ray than, say, a 2-hour movie complete with 1080p video and multiple, HD soundtracks.

Secondly, let's compare that 3.79GB to the @700Mb maximum capacity of an audio CD....while (as mentioned above) support for wider higher-res sound formats than DVD.

And finally - again, as mentioned above, and most importantly of all - how does it sound?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:Aside from the amount of space it's taking up on the disc - How does it sound? surely thats all that matters?

I'm only playing it through my Sony BDP-S370 (waiting for the new Marantz players) and it sounds good, but I can't help thinking it would have sounded better on SACD. Obviously the only way to confirm that is to play the same album back to back in both formats, but that's not possible. SACD was hyped for it's clarity and high end frequencies, but as well as that, I've always loved the superb bass you get on a SACD recording. Having said that I can see that this could catch on where SACD or DVD-Audio didn't. Quite a lot of households will already have a blu-ray player and it will become the norm in the future. Hopefully Blu-Ray audio discs will become the standard release for disc based music. An essential factor will be the ability to get a playable fromat from the disc to your iPod or mp3 player for it to really catch on. With this particular release, you get a code to download a 2ch FLAC 24bit/48kHz version of the album, or an Apple Lossless if you prefer.

Tom Petty's releasing his Damn The Torpedoes album in November on Blu-Ray audio, not my favourite artist, but enjoyable and I want to support the format, so that'll be next on my list. Anything which will get us more mainstream releases in a hi-res audio get's my vote.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I think some perspective is needed here....

The perspective is the price - £27! I guess you have to allow for the fact that it's a new format and a limited release in the costing, but I can't help thinking you don't need a blu-ray disc for hi-res audio, it could all fit onto a DVD5 in most cases and then hopefully be cheaper.

The surround mix in DTS-HD is good, as in other reviews I've read on the disc, I can see what they mean when it's said that you feel as if you're sitting in the studio listening to the band play, just missing a bit of bass grunt for me, but that could be the 370. It's not been a match for my Oppo, but it wasn't meant to be, please hurry up Marantz.

The code I got for the FLAC 24/48 download doesn't work! I'm waiting for that to be rectified, but I expect the FLAC file to sound better than the disc. I guess that says it all really from my point of view, I prefer the sound of hi-res music from my PC/DAC than from a disc, I just use the disc's for 5.1 playback. I've spent the weekend ripping the 2ch PCM 24bit/48kHz albums from my Depeche Mode Collectors Edition CD/DVD's. Using DVD Audio Extractor the resulting file is converted direct to FLAC and the playback through the PC/DAC is far superior to the disc.

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Surely in this instance the most important question is "Will it play on my player?"... to add to those wondering though - how does it sound

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:
Anything which will get us more mainstream releases in a hi-res audio get's my vote.

emotion-21.gif
Mine too. Seems like the manufacturers and publishers need to get over the burnt fingers they got with SACD and DVD-A

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:how does it sound?

Clare, any chance of WHF investing in a copy to review as it's probably one of the first more mainstream artists to release an album on Blu-Ray audio. It would be interesting for readers to hear the magazine's verdict on the disc and the format.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I know the sound is the most important part, but one thing that needs to improve is the flimsy blu-ray case sized cardboard sleeve it comes in. I'm sure it deserved a Super Jewel case!
emotion-3.gif

With regard to the sound, I'm having another listen now I've got the house to myself and I've turned the volume up! The DTS-HD MA sound is superb, definately worth a try if you want to dip your toes in the water and like light rock.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts