Blown fuse in RA-1062 Stereo Integrated Amplifier matched with Thorens TD 1601 turntable, please help!

Sascha1977

Jun 6, 2023
Visit site
Hello
I just bought a Rotel RA-1062 Integrated Amp for a friend of mine who is just starting to get into the world of HiFi.
We are both novices and could really use some help!
He has Thorens TD1601 turntable that we connected to the amp as well as Klipsch Forte IV speakers.
After listening to records for a while, the fuse in the amp blows. When he streams music from his iPhone this does not happen.
We changed the fuses in the amp a few times but it keeps happening.
We bought a surge protector/conditioner for the amp and the issue persists.
Might there be a matching issue, as it concerns the ohms in the turntable?
Any other ideas as to what could be the problem here?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sascha

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Probably a short somewhere, It is quite an old unit it could possibly need a service.

OR your cart could be really overloading the phono section. It only needs a 2.4mV to achieve full output so might be a problem if you have a really high output cart on Thorens. Just a guess though.

I would check the turntable wiring myself. What cartridge is fitted to the turntable?
Hopefully not an Audio Technica AT33EV....
Any chance you could test with a different turntable?
What does he have connected that allows him to stream from a phone??
Good though the amp is he really needs something price comparable to that turntable.....

Gray

That's a new problem Sascha.
I think it's possible that acoustic feedback could be causing the excess current consumption.
You wouldn't necessarily hear it (though you might possibly see it on the mid / bass cone) but subsonic feedback would certainly increase the current .

First thing is for him to play vinyl through headphones only for a while.
If the fuse doesn't blow.....I could be right.

Last edited:

Sascha1977

Jun 6, 2023
Visit site
Probably a short somewhere, It is quite an old unit it could possibly need a service.

OR your cart could be really overloading the phono section. It only needs a 2.4mV to achieve full output so might be a problem if you have a really high output cart on Thorens. Just a guess though.
Thank you so much for your thoughts. He has the Soundsmith Carmen Mk II cartridge - could that be the issue?

Sascha1977

Jun 6, 2023
Visit site
I would check the turntable wiring myself. What cartridge is fitted to the turntable?
Hopefully not an Audio Technica AT33EV....
Any chance you could test with a different turntable?
What does he have connected that allows him to stream from a phone??
Good though the amp is he really needs something price comparable to that turntable.....
Thank you so much for your answer. He has the Soundsmith Carmen Mk II cartridge, could that be the issue? Yes good idea, I could let him use my turntable for a while and see if the issue persists.

Sascha1977

Jun 6, 2023
Visit site
That's a new problem Sascha.
I think it's possible that acoustic feedback could be causing the excess current consumption.
You wouldn't necessarily hear it (though you might possibly see it on the mid / bass cone) but subsonic feedback would certainly increase the current .

First thing is for him to play vinyl through headphones only for a while.
If the fuse doesn't blow.....I could be right.
Ok great I'll suggest that to him, thank you!

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

Gray

I could let him use my turntable for a while and see if the issue persists.
Before you go to that trouble, let him do the headphone test.
If the fuse doesn't blow, tell him to ensure his turntable is located well away from his speakers - certainly not on the same surface nor in their line of fire.

Also, your turntable could have greater immunity to acoustic feedback, so wouldn't help him 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts