BK Sub dilemma...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Out of interest scene what made you choose the xxls400 over the monolith? The monolith is only another £25 depending on finish and would assume would be better for movies as it has a lower frequency response. Looks to be a bit of a beast though size wise.

Been looking at both of these for myself when funds allow (need a new clutch/dmf in my Mondano so thats put the plans on the back burner). Also what size room is yours going in?

Both seem to get very good reviews though, be interested to hear how you get on with it.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
SpiceWeasel said:
Out of interest scene what made you choose the xxls400 over the monolith? The monolith is only another £25 depending on finish and would assume would be better for movies as it has a lower frequency response. Looks to be a bit of a beast though size wise.

Been looking at both of these for myself when funds allow (need a new clutch/dmf in my Mondano so thats put the plans on the back burner). Also what size room is yours going in?

Both seem to get very good reviews though, be interested to hear how you get on with it.

I choose the xxls400 over the monolith after speaking to BK about it. At the time I had bookshelf speakers and I was interested in using a sub for music (hf connection) as well as for movies. BK advised the xxls400 as the best compromise - they said go for the monolith if you simply want it for movies. They also advised getting the downward facing model in my situation with a laminate floor over a concrete base. My room is 4m wide by 5m long.

Any sub does take a little tweaking and positioning to get it right, but the xxls400 gives me plenty of floor shaking bass for my room with movies, and I still use it for music (even now with floorstanders).

scene

jonathanRD said:
SpiceWeasel said:

I choose the xxls400 over the monolith after speaking to BK about it. At the time I had bookshelf speakers and I was interested in using a sub for music (hf connection) as well as for movies. BK advised the xxls400 as the best compromise - they said go for the monolith if you simply want it for movies. They also advised getting the downward facing model in my situation with a laminate floor over a concrete base. My room is 4m wide by 5m long.

Any sub does take a little tweaking and positioning to get it right, but the xxls400 gives me plenty of floor shaking bass for my room with movies, and I still use it for music (even now with floorstanders).

Hi, I spoke to BK as well - they're very friendly - and given my large room size (5.85 x 6.45 m) they said it was between the XXLS-400 and the Monolith. I've got carpet over concrete floor and three small people - so I'd already decided that it had to be a down firer - something BK agreed with.

The final choice came down to the old chestnut of partner approval. Although Mrs. scene wasn't adverse to the monolith, she was worried it was just a little too big for the room. Also, as I'm going to use the sub for music as well as Home Cinema, my leaning was more towards a sealed unit, so I went for the XXLS400

scene

scene said:
his dudeness said:
AW not so good,get well soon.
Hoping to :)

Hi, feeling better now, but Mrs. scene is now laid up with 'flu *sigh*

Plumbed in the BK and re-ran the Audyssey set up. Sounds great, what I've heard so far. Not played so much as we were away last weekend for our annual sad old rockers trip to Legends of Rock in Gt. Yarmouth (music great, shame Mrs. scene was under the weather...)

I think I need to do a little bit of tweaking - might need to re-position the sub as although it's great - got this niggling feeling it could be better. Hmmm. Can't quite put my finger on it... May just be a positional thing.

rrotor99

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Greetings

I asked about the XXLS-400 DF, and BK Elec's Tom mentioned that the auto off function is available for this model. After about 15 minutes, the unit senses non-use and shuts itself off. It's an additional feature, and current models already include that with the price for no additional cost if you specify it when you place the order. I ordered on the spot. I should get it in about a week or so!!!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
rrotor99 said:
Greetings

I asked about the XXLS-400 DF, and BK Elec's Tom mentioned that the auto off function is available for this model. After about 15 minutes, the unit senses non-use and shuts itself off. It's an additional feature, and current models already include that with the price for no additional cost if you specify it when you place the order. I ordered on the spot. I should get it in about a week or so!!!

The on/off button and indicator light is quite hard to see and find if you dont have much room to get around the back of the sub, so this is a really useful option.

Ace High

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I am currently toying with the idea of adding a Sub to my system at the moment and have been advised by a few AV shops but been a bit suspicious of them trying to flog me what they have in stock as appose to what I need. I have been recommended the Rel T5 and been to a shop and listened to a Dali E9F which was not to bad. I have been looking on line and notice a lot of people recommending the XXLS 400. Its a hard choice to make when you cant demo it! I have little to no experience with Sub's as I use to live in a small house with thin walls so my speakers were enough. How have you found your XXLS400 so far? I want it for Movies and music but am looking for something which will give a good feel to movies, space and looks are an issue to get pass Mr’s D so the Monolith is not really an option in that department. Would be interested in your feedback!

Thanks..

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I managed to squeeze very good movie performance out of a single xls400 and its good with music as well.

There is a lot of positive press because people like them.

The gloss finish is very well done and worth the extra if you want gloss but second guess over the additional cost and build time.

Svs is another good sub brand

All the best

scene

I decided on the XXLS-400 after careful consideration - and I know I said on another thread that Mrs. Scene said "How Big!!" about the Monolith - she was actually OK-ish about it - but I decided in the end for the 400, as it's really good with music, good with movies and a little easier to set up and place than the monolith.

BK Elec used to make REL's subs and I must say, having had the XXLS400 for a few years now I really love it. Only thing I did do was tweak up the volume a little, Audyssey set up on my Marantz wanted to set it too low for my liking. BTW: my living room is 6.5 x 5.9m - and I find the sub fills it marvellously - your room's a bit smaller (6x3) so you might even find something like the monolith too big - might need to glue down the ornaments if you got something that big :)

When it comes to WAF - down-firing subs are a lot easier sell than front firing. I've got carpet over concrete, so get a good sound. If you've got suspended wooden floors, and go for a df sub, might want to go for a granite slab under it to cut down unnecessary reverb.

I've also toyed with getting BK's antimode and still thinking it might be worth it, what with the slightly irregular shape of my room and the furniture in it, not 100% convinced I'm getting the absolute best out of the sub. But having said that, it's still pretty darn good :D

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
A few years back I was looking for a sub to complement my AV speakers - all from the Monitor Audio Bronze range. The MA sub BXW10 was between £450 to £500. A 200w amplifier driving a 10 inch woofer - total weight about 11kg.

The BK XXLS400 was cheaper (still now only £439), has a 400w amplifier driving a 12 inch woofer, goes lower, and weighs in at nearly 28kg. It also has both high and low level connections and the latest version has an automatic power cut off switch if you don't use it for a while. Oh and has lots of very good reviews.

So which one would you buy? *smile*

BK advised the XXLS400 was go for a 50/50 split between music and movies, so I bought one and they were absolutely right. I have been very pleased with it's performance. Buy one with confidence!

But also look at the specs and price of any others you have looked at and compare them. If your budget is around the £300 to £500 mark, these make great VFM, remember you are saving by buying direct from the manufacturer.

Ace High

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I have had a little look into these and they look pretty impressive for their size with an amazing range! The 1000 is more the budget I was looking to spend really but don't think it will be big enough that for the room compared to the xxls400!

I could push to the 2000 but is it worth the extra money? I have no where to demo them! or is there not much between the SVS and BK subs?

thanks

Ace High

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for all the reply's.

I have taken delivery of a SVS SB2000 after much deliberating on a home trial and absolutely love it! Much better than the Dali and Monitor Audio I had a demo with! I have set all my speakers to small with 80Hz cross over which sounds great with the Sub! And surtanly rattles the sofa when needed!

main decision in the end was due to size fits under the wife's coffe table! great reviews, good power great range and the metal grill for protection from my litttle boys fingers!

Thanks for all the recommendations and help!!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Ace High said:
Hi,

Thanks for all the reply's.

I have taken delivery of a SVS SB2000 after much deliberating on a home trial and absolutely love it! Much better than the Dali and Monitor Audio I had a demo with! I have set all my speakers to small with 80Hz cross over which sounds great with the Sub! And surtanly rattles the sofa when needed!

main decision in the end was due to size fits under the wife's coffe table! great reviews, good power great range and the metal grill for protection from my litttle boys fingers!

Thanks for all the recommendations and help!!

Nice - enjoy!

Although you did miss a trick, my XXLS400 doubles as a coffee table *smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think you picked the best option there. The SVS has better extension than the BK so is more of an allrounder.

Good luck with it. All the best

Ace High

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Ye!

thanks for mentioning them! Not really clued up on the Subwoofers so was looking at various options. Had not heard of them till you mentioned them and then did a bit of research! Really Love it and has added a new dimension to both films and music!!

cheers

TRENDING THREADS