Bjork fans....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
ID.:
No TT, but I got the SACD from the label's online store.

If I had a TT I'd be buying as much Bjork on vinyl as I could get my hands on. I'd be just as happy if she had more than 2 of her albums available on SACD.

I've got tons of her stuff on vinyl from the Post/Telegram period, including the unbarcoded limited 12"s which I suspect are worth ^*%& all...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:ID.:

If I had a TT I'd be buying as much Bjork on vinyl as I could get my hands on. I'd be just as happy if she had more than 2 of her albums available on SACD.

I've got tons of her stuff on vinyl from the Post/Telegram period, including the unbarcoded limited 12"s which I suspect are worth ^*%& all...

What's the standard of the pressings been like, on the stuff you have, lhc?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bretty:the_lhc:ID.:

What's the standard of the pressings been like, on the stuff you have, lhc?

Haven't the faintest idea I'm afraid, it's been years since I listened to them.

If I'm honest I didn't really buy them to listen to at the time! I went through a daft phase of buying anything that had limited edition on it cos I thought they'd be worth something. At least I was actually a fan of Bjork, which helped, I used to buy stuff I didn't even like on the off-chance it might accrue some value in the future. I was young. And an idiot. I didn't even have my own turntable at that stage! The design work was always worth looking at though...

The other half is not a fan unfortunately, so I don't get the opportunity to try them out these days very often.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Not much has changed. Just older, but still an idiot
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

bretty:

idc:Vespertine is my favourite album.

Me, too. I think the whole album is amazing and there are songs like 'Pagan Poetry' on it which genuinely give me goosebumps. Her voice absolutely soars on that album.

It's hard work for some, with all the instrument sounds being made by the human voice, but I really like 'Medulla', too.

Just received purchased Vespertine from the bay. Cost me £1.50 delivered in new condition..........................excellent.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:I'll give myself 7/10, I knew someone would come back with that but for some inexplicable reason I didn't think it would be you. Now that really IS stupid...

Almost as stupid for thinking I wouldn't........stupid is as stupid does
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
brendonw:
the_lhc:I'll give myself 7/10, I knew someone would come back with that but for some inexplicable reason I didn't think it would be you. Now that really IS stupid...

Almost as stupid for thinking I wouldn't........stupid is as stupid does
emotion-4.gif

I was thinking more along the lines of "I'm with stupid" but not "with" in that sense...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Well, my 'Vespertine' turned up today. It IS the one that costs £60-odd quid everywhere. TheOne Little Indian DMM remaster, limited to 1000 copies. I've got no. 734. It's pressed onto 2 x 200g LPs. The Gatefold sleeve comes in a protective plastic folder.

How's it sound? blumming fantastic. There's something to that DMM pressing technique (of which I knew nothing before now). I've never heard a record so quiet. Not a single pop or crackle. Seriously, not even between tracks! It's noise floor is so low that it's comparible to CD. Along with that low noise floor is a massive amount of detail. It's taken the mantle from Dire Straits - 'Brothers In Arms' as my best-sounding vinyl.

If you can still get a copy, do it quick! you won't regret it!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Top find Bretts.

Just ordered one!

Also ordered this..

51md46C-B1L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Beck-Sea Change OMR

Been after this for donkeys and since it was the last one!!
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:Total spend to date Bretty?.

Including the Gyrodec? Just under a grand. £400ish on the black circles. Not bad in five weeks, eh?!!

Hows things in lovely Bexhill, Mitchy?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
mitch65:Total spend to date Bretty?.

Including the Gyrodec? Just under a grand. £400ish on the black circles. Not bad in five weeks, eh?!!

Hows things in lovely Bexhill, Mitchy?

Suffering a little, went to see Guns n'Roses last night at the o2, didn't get in til 2 but well worth it!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
kusum65:Thanks for the Bjork tip. Been after that little beauty for a while but wasnt prepared to pay £60.

You're welcome, buddy.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Well , Bretty , me old Mukker , on your recommendation I ordered a copy Vespertine from Amazon this morning , so it had better be good . I haven't bought any of her stuff since Debut so it'll be interesting to see how she has developed .

Referring back to the One Little Indian shop and their price of £12.77 for the LP . I have a feeling , by reading the blurb on the home page , that VAT is not included in the price and they are bound to charge postage as well ( I didn't actually check so I could be wrong), so that price is beginning to look much closer to the Amazon price , so it isn't necessarily such a good deal as it first appears .

Nick

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I bought a bjork CD once, it has 1993 on the inside cover so it must have been around then, it's the debut album, it has some good tracks but also some rubbish ones i never bothered to buy any more bjork CD's, but with the title "bjork fans keep popping up, i decided to dig this one out from my CD collection & i am know listening to it on my computer, i don't think i have played it since the 1990's anyway it's nice to listen to "big time sensuality" again, which is playing as i type.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Ive been obsessively collecting the One Little Indian reissue Bjork alums over the last year or so and they sound great. Some havent aged that well but are all worth collecting.

However, imo i think Vespertine is the special one and everyone should at least give it a listen.

The guy who owns the label comes into my shop and he told me the special Abbey road metal mastering cost him £10 for each copy so it sounds like a complete labour of love.

I wasnt that excited about her last release but i would have loved to see her at the festival gigs she did.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad:
Well , Bretty , me old Mukker , on your recommendation I ordered a copy Vespertine from Amazon this morning , so it had better be good . I haven't bought any of her stuff since Debut so it'll be interesting to see how she has developed .

Referring back to the One Little Indian shop and their price of £12.77 for the LP . I have a feeling , by reading the blurb on the home page , that VAT is not included in the price and they are bound to charge postage as well ( I didn't actually check so I could be wrong), so that price is beginning to look much closer to the Amazon price , so it isn't necessarily such a good deal as it first appears .

Nick

Have no fears, Nick, you'll be blown over by how great it sounds.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I listened to Vespertine on Spotify. I have to say I struggled. More so in the beginning than the end and I kind of warmed to it during the process but really never quite got there. - I like jazz, some of it more unusual, 'disjointed' tunes and rythm changes are part of it but I found it more difficult to listen to this Bjork album even if it is one of her more 'conventional' ones. Having said all that, I think it's one of those 'slow growers'. I have another listen to it and may buy it yet.

Sound quality, even on spotify, was very good.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Bjork fan and I was underwhelmed by Vespertine for a long time.

I still think I enjoy Post and Medulla the most, but for a change of pace I think Gling Glo is enjoyable if you think you might like Bjork singing jazz (mainly in Icelandic)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts