admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi just after a sot of wisdom/advice

Just moved from a shoe box flat to a converted chapel and the difference in sound is fairly dramatic getting the sound to fill out and moderate listening levels is proving problematic.

Gear is

Yam as-500, wharfedale 9.6 and sw150 Cambridge CD-10

Room 10mX10m sceiling is bout 2.4m wood floor, non cavity walls moderate decorating (bookshelves, prints, sofa the size of the ark royal)

Sound... Pure direct with a solo or acoustic track sounds.. Well the stuff!!

Hanz Zimmer ie inception sounds a let down pushed or compressed in the mids, a little boxy.

So the vibe is the room showing up the equipment or the equipment letting down the room?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
A bit of both. The room's showing up the speakers and the speakers are unsuitable for filling a room that size with good quality sounds.

Get yourself a pair of huge speakers and you'll be sorted. Something like Bozak Concert Grands, Klipschorns, EV Sentry III's or Patricians, Altec Model 19's or VOTT.

A

Anonymous

Oh if only!! I owe my expectations in audio to my dad and he a defiantly a retro audio guy!!

sadly I have had vintage audio in the past and it's beutiful sounding but it's not the recording!!

Bit to coloured for me.

Nice tip tho.

Cant imagine what the tron soundtrack would sound like through any of that lot!!

A

Anonymous

Oh if only!! I owe my expectations in audio to my dad and he a defiantly a retro audio guy!!

sadly I have had vintage audio in the past and it's beutiful sounding but it's not the recording!!

Bit to coloured for me.

Nice tip tho.

Cant imagine what the tron soundtrack would sound like through any of that lot!!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Some vintage hi-fi is coloured. Some is neutral and relatively uncoloured. Most, if not all of the speakers I mentioned are less coloured than Wharfedale 9.6's.

A

Anonymous

For sure, def consider a change from the dales they do have that soft sound you hear spoke of, thought it would fill out a bit of the space being fairly large heavy old units not the case.......B&W....?? Every time I've heard a pair I've liked floors and shelves? It's the mids not base or treble i'm not finding.. Well believable with the sound at the mo....The goal is very much the in the room sound.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Yep my rooms 8x6x6 ish and what i found i needed was power and lots of it.

I used an amp that had 500 watts on tap at 2 ohms and a pair of standmounts with a pair of drivers in isobaric fashion and a tweeter. This was good but really i need more cones and bigger speakers, i cant help but think a small array would do the job properly but it would never get the nod from the better one.

Now i use actives which are better at getting to decent volumes without cranking the knob.

My advise would be as many watts and the biggest speaker you can get away with 8)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
supersize me! ... as shooter says. maybe try the Mission MX5's on loan with the yamaha see how you get on.

Moon

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Cptbaker1980 said:

Bit to coloured for me.

Nice tip tho.

You don't say your budget, but if it allows and you want uncoloured and effortlessly room filling (they're used in many concert halls) go for active ATC SCM50s or 100s :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Cptbaker1980 said:

Bit to coloured for me.

Nice tip tho.

You don't say your budget, but if it allows and you want uncoloured and effortlessly room filling (they're used in many concert halls) go for active ATC SCM50s or 100s :)

+1

If the budget does not stretch, explore some other actives. Many of them have excellent dynamics and can work well at realistic sound levels. Check the "active speakers club" thread for some options.

Also consider adding a sub or two.

TRENDING THREADS