Big change, little

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Got round to picking up some spikes for the base of my stand, and also played with speaker positions. The change has been amazing! fuzzy bass replaced by tight and clear bass! instruments separated out and a new degree of clarity... I'm absolutely thrilled, such an improvement over what I already thought was pretty good!

Now I am wondering if the oft recommended half squash balls under amp and CD player will add a little more? What does everyone think?

Glad you can hear some noticeable improvements. You will get some nay-sayers on here next that will tell you its all in the mind and forget squashballs use exotic wood cones instead. Best ignored really. Carry on tweaking and if you can hear differences that's all well and good because, at the end of the day, it's you that has to listen to it. *biggrin*

I'll now get my coat and exit stage left....
wink_smile.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Do you mean spikes on the equipment stand or the speaker stands? You'll probably find every change you're hearing is due to the speaker moves (this is why you shouldn't change two things at once).

As for the squashballs, well, if you've got some spare give it a go but don't expect too much.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Spikes for the equipment rack, the speakers come with integral stands and spikes which I've always had on... Will probably give the squash balls a go too, just for the fun! If you don't ask....

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Give the squash balls a try. It'll hardly cost you anything. They might make an improvement in your system. They might not.

Let us know how you get on, if you try it.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Vladimir.... A wall mounted shelf is not an option, so happy to try the others. Squash balls first I think.... Should I include the amp, or is this more for sources?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Try with everything but start with sources first and each component at a time so you appreciate the differences. How close are the KEFs to the rack and do you have them on spikes?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
These tweaks will yield great results due to the budget turntable you are using (not suspended). Biggest improvements are heard in the bass region as you described and the midrange gets better presence and details. Putting the table on a wall mounted shelf is the best isolation you can do. Alternatively try spikes, sand filled pan, granite slabs, squash balls, dried yak testicles, whatever. Have fun!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Although in most setups it is useless, it was made for exactly these circumstances where the table is too close to the bassy speakers. Rumble really muddies bass and can even damage speakers or reduce their work life. The solution is decoupling the table from any surface that carries vibration or by using a subsonic filter. A simple inline subsonic filter* can be added for few quids. Not sure if those are suited for your TT but there are similar cheap solutions out there worth experimenting with.

*no affiliation

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
So, I've added squash balls under the TT, and there has been another noticeable improvement. This time it's vocals. They just seem to be that little bit clearer and standing out a little more.... If that makes sense. As some would say, maybe it's all in my head, but it's all sounding good tome, and the smile on my face is the most important thing!!!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
So, I've added squash balls under the TT, and there has been another noticeable improvement. This time it's vocals. They just seem to be that little bit clearer and standing out a little more.... If that makes sense. As some would say, maybe it's all in my head, but it's all sounding good tome, and the smile on my face is the most important thing!!!

Fot TT I would look up cycle inner tube and plyboard thats meant to be better than squash balls.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Stop it.....lol.

The squash balls have a pretty dense rubber and if placed on glass/wood are pretty good at absorbing vibration placing the open end down.

They work, an innertube is pretty thin and air is pretty rubbish for absorbing
Vibration plus it'll look rubbish.

I know it's not the weekend but this thread is just begging for some disagreement..... :-D

BigH said:
chris_bates1974 said:

?

Fot TT I would look up cycle inner tube and plyboard thats meant to be better than squash balls. 

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Reminds me of my first proper hifi set up circa 1977- . I tried all sorts - too much spare time I suppose.

As someone mentioned - maybe it's all in the mind. What was the speed of the squash balls? Could that have an effect also? If it brings about an improvement (albeit "in the mind") it must be worth it.

tonky

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Stop it.....lol.

The squash balls have a pretty dense rubber and if placed on glass/wood are pretty good at absorbing vibration placing the open end down.

They work, an innertube is pretty thin and air is pretty rubbish for absorbing Vibration plus it'll look rubbish.

I know it's not the weekend but this thread is just begging for some disagreement..... :-D

BigH said:
chris_bates1974 said:

barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

TRENDING THREADS