Bi-wiring

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks! My system is taking shape (albeit very slowly). I got the NAD 320 and the Monitor audio br2s (still on the way to me tho), as reccommended by What Hifi's own Andrew Everard. The amp, it appears, is not biwireable. But does anyone know if the speakers are? And if one is, and the other isnt, can i biwire or not? Sorry, probably far too basic for you all!

A

Anonymous

Hi Al,

Not too basic at all! Any amp is bi-wireable - just put both wires in one socket. Some amps have two sets of terminals that make it easier (and easier to blow amp up. Ahem.), but I just twist the conductors together and twist them in. Or get both terminated in the same banana plug/spade.

I tried bi-wiring (MA does recommend it for the RS6 - do they mention it in the manual for the BR2's?) but not sure I got good results (had one side bi-wired, the other not), but not other times - but my test method of swinging balance one way or the other was not the best! My opinion would be to not worry about bi-wiring - that'll mean you can get better cable for the 'single-wiring'!

If the BR2's are bi-wireable, they'll have two pairs of sockets on the back a LF pair and a HF pair, linked by metal links from the factory.

Of course this is a contentious issue and others will disagree and they might well be right!

Have fun and see what works for you!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thankyou Bloney.

A friend of mine who is more experienced in these things may have advised me wrongly then.

My amps instructions show 2 connections ( one + & one -) for each speaker. The aforemtntioned friend said this means it isnt biwireable (and ive no idea, due to lack of experience, whether its worth it anyway), but he seems to be mistaken.

He aslo said not to just use the basic wires, but to feed them in to a banana plug. In my naivety, i figured they would come in the plugs anyway. Can i get leads that are in these banana things already, as i dont trust myself with much wiring, frankly. And if i could do this, could i get "pre-plugged" wires that will also coneniently biwire with my setup?

Forgive me if you feel you've answered this already - this is a bit stream of consciousness i must admit!

Thanks for the help.

EDIT - silly me, what hifi mag specifically mentions biwiring them. itd still be great to get some more advice from Bloney or anyone on the above, tho.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
why not just use single wire and save yourself some money and while your at it you can use screw in banana plugs or save even more money and use bare wire,keeps it nice and simple.good luck,gregory.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I thought the question was weather it was possible to bi wire? Not the subjective view of weather it was better or not to bi wire? Since an opinion has been expressed then I feel obliged to give my opinion. Bi wiring makes a difference to me. Apart from the technical reasons (also a good explanation of how to Biwire): http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/biwiring.htm

I find that using different cables for treble and bass, you can tonally adjust (balance) the sound coming from your speakers. This I have found to be particularly useful on a number of speakers.

Some people can hear bi wiring while some can't. All I can suggest is try it out for yourself -get a friend to help you blind test you. I have been blind tested and found to be a real phenomenon.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys, but, just to clarify (and hopefully not to sound remotely ungrateful for your contributions), i was just looking for a bit of advivce on the various how - tos of wiring, banana plugs etc (yes, my knowledge really is that basic). once ive got all that sussed i can work out whther its worth it through experimentation (im a "trust you ears type"). To begin with tho, i might just single wire, if its easier and cheaper.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
thanks andrew. think im being a bit thick, but that mostly has to do with bi-amping doesnt it? I've also been a bit clumsy in the title of this thread, as i just wanted to sort out wether it is possible, and establish one or two far simpler things along the way, as i ddnt realise i had to faff around fitting my own banana things etc...!

Anyway, im probably not makin much sense now and its been a bad day so ill return to this later. Thanks again all.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
OH AND IT JUST FLAMING WELL GETS FLIPPING WORSE DOESNT IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I WROTE AT LEAST 2 PARAGRAPHS, BUT IS THAT WHAT ALL OF YOU WILL BE SEEING...?!?!?! NO, OF COURSE NOT. PERISH THE THOUGHT!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]OH AND IT JUST FLAMING WELL GETS FLIPPING WORSE DOESNT IT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I WROTE AT LEAST 2 PARAGRAPHS, BUT IS THAT WHAT ALL OF YOU WILL BE SEEING...?!?!?! NO, OF COURSE NOT. PERISH THE THOUGHT![/quote]

Umm, say what?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts