admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi People,

Apologies about being such an amateur to this, but im still a bit hasty about bi-wiring.I'm after a pair of B&W 685's, which will be paired with either a ra-04 or pm6002.

i understand whats going on @ the speaker end, but dont really get how to biwire at the amp end.both amps can support 2 pairs of speakers.

the bit thats confusing me is can/are the extra pair of terminals on the amp meant to be used for biwiring a single pair of speakers? or specifically for connecting another pair of speakers to the amp (so 4 speakers in total)?

matthewpiano

I wouldn't bother personally. I've tried biwiring in all sorts of systems and I really don't think it makes any discernable difference. Either save some money for CDs and records, or buy better quality single runs of speaker cable. This will make much more difference than biwiring IMO.

A

Anonymous

You can biwire either by using both sets of terminals, in which case you'll need both speaker buttons pressed in at the front of the amp, or just by using one set of terminals, i.e. connecting two speaker wires to each terminal, in which case of course you'll only need one set of speakers selected on the amp. No difference in sound quality either way (and as the above poster argues, you may not hear any benefit regardless), although I find using both sets of terminals less fiddly.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Not going to say it definitely works or doesn't... I used to biwire, finding it offered better weight to the sound, but after someone suggested putting the jumpers back while biwired (not dangerous as they are all connected to the same connection), I realised it sounded exactly the same. (The difference I now rightly or wrongly put down to the extra run of wire giving me half the impedance etc)

A

Anonymous

I prefer biwire. Even though there's only a little bit of improvement, for me better is better no matter how much the different

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I found that bi wiring works. By using different cables for the treble and bass, you can passively tailor the sound to your tastes. My favourite cable combo was van den hul cs122 and qed c38,this worked a treat for Celestion SL600 and Rogers LS6.

A

Anonymous

Bi-wiring works for my Rogers LS55a's.

The difference is more significant now that I have the more powerful and precise PM7001 KI Sig but still noticeable on my old PM66SE KI sig.

I've also got myself a new set of floorstanders for comparison and will be anchoring these in the both ways to see if I can tell the difference too - but that will be three weeks away when they arrive.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
When I was using Marantz PM 57 amp 10 years ago, I bi-wred my TDL RTL 3SE speakers. Didnt really hear any significant improvement. Maybe it was just my system. However, once upgarded to pre and power MF amps, thats when I can hear a big different in bi-amping.

A

Anonymous

'Either save some money for CDs and records, or buy better quality
single runs of speaker cable. This will make much more difference than
biwiring IMO'

How important is the speaker cable ? What do you recommend? is the length important or not? (I use 5m for each speaker)

I have some doubts with my cables ...

(BANDRIDGE Loudspeaker Cable LC1154;  6.0 mm; 2 conductors; Strands: 2 x 30 x 0.25;2 x 1.5mm2 OFC Conductor )

A

Anonymous

I bid and won 2 x 2 metre Atlas Hyper 2s for £18 and therefore biwired my MAs - makes a significant difference to my system.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Normal

false
false
false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;}
p
{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
margin-right:0cm;
mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
margin-left:0cm;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;
mso-header-margin:36.0pt;
mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
I bi-wired using QED XT Silver Anniversary Mk 2 - and lots of my
friends were amazed at the difference - so was I

The depth of sound now is astonishing

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:I wouldn't bother personally. I've tried biwiring in all sorts of systems and I really don't think it makes any discernable difference. Either save some money for CDs and records, or buy better quality single runs of speaker cable. This will make much more difference than biwiring IMO.

I totally agree (but then I would as my Dynaudio Audience 52SEs aren't biwirable despite being £950 a pair !)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts