Bi-Wiring Did Work.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Well i got alittle bored the other night so thought about bi-wiring, So i had a small seach on Google about it and the most part of people say NO it doesnt do any diffrents. So i thought ok, Lets try it. I kept my bass/treble the same as before. And i have to say its made a diffrents. There seems to be more low down bass and its very clear thats its deffo been added, But cant tell any diffrents with the mid or low range. Or it hasnt and am just telling myself it has, Or my amp has had more hours for it to full burn in as i only got it last weekend. Am using some QED Silver Anni cable, And some other thick cable from Practical Hi-fi that i have had for a few years, Will mixing the two wires still work fine? Or is it best to have it all wiring with the same stuff?. Luke

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Forgot to say....

I also found that with bi-wiring its taken of of the topend and midrange away, Is this even possible?. Or could having thick copper cable and semi thick silver (QED Silver Anni) cable do this??.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

You should really try and use the same stuff unless you are sure the cables will integrate well together. I have qed xtube 400 to both bass and tweeters. I am thinking about using xtube350 to the tweeters.The cables sound similar anyway and have similar design except for level of silver content.The 350 is slightly less sibilant and "silver "sounding and could be better on my mon audio tweeters. I know bi wiring can make a difference but its really dependant on the speaker i think.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="PLuKE"]Forgot to say....

I also found that with bi-wiring its taken of of the topend and midrange away, Is this even possible?. Or could having thick copper cable and semi thick silver (QED Silver Anni) cable do this??.

Thanks[/quote]

Let me guess, you have the copper cables going to the treble half? The skin effect will cause the higher frequencies to travel on the surface of the copper wire instead of all the way through it. This will greatly increase the resistance as you increase frequency. Silver also suffers from this, but significantly less so than copper. Silver is the best electrical conductor known to man (at room temperature). try swapping the wires around, so you have the QED doing the treble.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
At the moment i have the QED Silver on the bottom terminals and the thick copper stuff on the top terminals on the speakers. I Think i will try swapping it around.

If nothing, I might just buy the same Silver Anni cable again just for peice of mind.

Luke

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
So they are saying as long as the speaker cable is of some good thickness it doesnt matter if its cheap or expensive, or made from silver, copper, gold etc etc

In fairness i didnt notice any diffrents at all with my QED Silver stuff and some normal copper cable.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
In my experience, the cables still have a say in the over all sound .

I use different, carefully chosen cables for the top and bottom connections. I find I get the best results this way.

I will be however using two Isolda cables for both treble and bass. I currently use one isolda cable for the lower end and some Linn for the top. I recently managed to get another Isolda cable from Ebay. I am in the process of moving house so I haven't got round to trying the second cable pair yet. Since I think the Isolda is heads and shoulders above any other cable I have heard, I am expecting great things.

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Well i have no put the QED cable on the top terminals for the tweeter, And the fat copper cable on the bottom terminals for the bass drive. And its has deffo cut the bass down alittle, More like how it would sound with just single wire setup. But the treble and midrange is alittle better.

I would of thought the fatter cable would of made more bass now the QED silver stuff.

Or is it just me thinking about it to much and kidding myself.

Luke

A

Anonymous

Much as a meal tastes all the better after a hard day's work, so a bi-wired system sounds better after all that time faffing about on your knees round the back of the amp trying to cram two sets of wire onto one set of binding posts. Yes, I know I should get banana plugs, but...
When I first biwired, I noticed a bit more sparkiness at the very top end, which was all well and good in a carpetted flat, not so great now that I've moved to a place with laminate floors, so I may go back to single.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PLuKE"]Forgot to say.... I also found that with bi-wiring its taken of of the topend and midrange away, Is this even possible?. Or could having thick copper cable and semi thick silver (QED Silver Anni) cable do this??. Thanks[/quote]

I'm slightly concerned here, this thread appears to believe that QED Silver Anniversary cable is made from Silver. It isn't -it's made from Silver Plated Copper, it's called "Silver Anniversary" as it was introduced to celebrate the company's 25th Anniversay
http://www.qed.co.uk/i91c159-158/QED_Cables/Speaker_Cables/QED_Silver_Anniversary.htm

A

Anonymous

It should still stop the skinning effect described above though surely?

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="ubercow"]
It should still stop the skinning effect described above though surely?
[/quote]

I believe the theory is that you get some of the sound qualities of a silver cable at a lower price.

A

Anonymous

Silver has a resistivity (resistance per unit length) of 1.59 *10^-8 ohm meters.
Copper has a resistivity of 1.67*10^-6 ohms.

(this is considering a meter cross sectional area btw, so your speaker wires will have a much higher resistance)

So the skin effect will still occur in the silver plated cables, but it will be negated by the considerably lower resistance seen at the surface of the speaker wire.

A

Anonymous

Not to mention that braiding the cable vs a single flexible core greatly increases your surface ares, negating the skin effect futher.

A

Anonymous

The skin effect is negligible at audio frequencies and can safely be ignored.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts