BI WIREING

John1964

Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi, excuse my bad hifi knowledge, iv'e got Qed silver anniversary bi wire bi amp cable, 4 terminals one end and 4 terminals on the other end, 2 sets of course. My question is can i use this cable to bi wire the four terminals on my mordaunt short 902i speakers, using the A and second B posts on my cambridge audio 640 A amp, and would it make any difference if you can.

Gray

Find out if your A and B terminals are parallel wired (they probably are).
Do that by sticking a single twin cable into just pair B, then run it to your linked speaker terminals. Switch 'speakers A and B' on. If you're speakers work (with pair A unconnected) then you're OK to use all 4 terminals at the amp end - remember to remove the shorting links at the speakers.
No comment on the 'benefits' of bi-wiring, but as you've got 4 cores with plugs already fitted........you might as well.

John1964

Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
Find out if your A and B terminals are parallel wired (they probably are).
Do that by sticking a single twin cable into just pair B, then run it to your linked speaker terminals. Switch 'speakers A and B' on. If you're speakers work (with pair A unconnected) then you're OK to use all 4 terminals at the amp end - remember to remove the shorting links at the speakers.
No comment on the 'benefits' of bi-wiring, but as you've got 4 cores with plugs already fitted........you might as well.
Thanks, before i try that probably tomorrow, There is no A switch, just the 4 A terminals and the 4 B terminals and the speaker B switch on the front panel to run a second Pair of speakers at the same time as the speaker A terminals i presume. Does that help in your reply anyway, i can still try your method if necessery.

Gray

iv'e got Qed silver anniversary bi wire bi amp cable, 4 terminals one end and 4 terminals on the other end, 2 sets of course.
If you actually do have the above cable John, you can connect it to all 4 terminals on each channel of your amp
(no need to check first - the user manual makes it clear that there will be no problem).

Wire the L & R channels identically:
Amp A terminals to speaker HF (upper) terminals.
Amp B terminals to speaker LF (lower) terminals.
Shorting links removed on both speakers.
Switch the B speakers on using the front panel switch.

Check all is working, with full-frequency sound.
Note that if you switch the B button off, you will hear only the tweeters of each speaker (a quiet, tinny sound) so leave it on.

You will then be bi-wired. Plenty of people will happily tell you there's no audible benefit to bi-wiring whatsoever.......but you already had the terminated 4-core cable.
Your alternative would be to leave 2 cores per channel swinging unconnected - and that really would be silly.

Last edited:

John1964

Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
If you actually do have the above cable John, you can connect it to all 4 terminals on each channel of your amp
(no need to check first - the user manual makes it clear that there will be no problem).

Wire the L & R channels identically:
Amp A terminals to speaker HF (upper) terminals.
Amp B terminals to speaker LF (lower) terminals.
Shorting links removed on both speakers.
Switch the B speakers on using the front panel switch.

Check all is working, with full-frequency sound.
Note that if you switch the B button off, you will hear only the tweeters of each speaker (a quiet, tinny sound) so leave it on.

You will then be bi-wired. Plenty of people will happily tell you there's no audible benefit to bi-wiring whatsoever.......but you already had the terminated 4-core cable.
Your alternative would be to leave 2 cores per channel swinging unconnected - and that really would be silly.
Hi Gray, thats how i had it with 2 cables unconnected. Just followed your instructions , swithed on the B switch and all is sounding superb, thanks for your help much appreciated.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts