BI WIRE OR NOT BI WIRE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

As the title says I dont know which way to go. I have a Pioneer SC LC 71 amp and am awiting the delivery of Tannoy Revoultion Signature DC4 speakers ( all 5 ). If anyone could point me in the right direction on this one I would really appreciate it. I am thinking of using CHORD carnival silverscreen cable and again if anyone could offer there comments on the cable that would be great ( this sort of price bracket).

A

Anonymous

The amp, speakers and speaker cable will all go together very well Captain.

Personally I always prefer to bi-wire. I suspect you may even be able to bi-amp those speakers with that amp. Just needs 4-4 speaker cable rather than 2-4 cable. The addition of extra banana plugs does put the price up a bit on the cable.

Although some people may disagree and say don't bother bi-wiring I don't think anyone will say that bi-wiring will make it worse, so at the very worse it will be no better. But in reality you should notice a difference.

If you can bi-amp, and you can afford the cable thats the way to go (IMHO)

A

Anonymous

Thanks barnsleydave, and yes I can BI AMP as the speakers and amp have this facility. I have never gone this route before so you can see why I asked the question. It will put the cost up a bit but If I am going to do it I may as well do it right. What do you think of using a lesser quality cable for the rears as I intended only using one cable (for each speaker) in this case.

A

Anonymous

Yes I have used a lesser quality rear cable. I also needed something flat so that I could run it between the carpet gripper and the wall. From memory I used something called black rhodium (I think T50 but cant swear by it) which was about £3 a metre. My arena 500 highlines are prob similar to the rear DC4's you have. My rear speakers sound absoloutly fine.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
capt nemo:Thanks barnsleydave, and yes I can BI AMP as the speakers and amp have this facility. I have never gone this route before so you can see why I asked the question. It will put the cost up a bit but If I am going to do it I may as well do it right. What do you think of using a lesser quality cable for the rears as I intended only using one cable (for each speaker) in this case.

Can't see why it would cost you any more, you bi -amp the Fronts with 2 pairs to each of the Front speakers, as you would for bi-wiring which would also be 2 pairs each to the Fronts, the only difference being the connection at the amp??

I have bi-amped my Yamaha RXV 2700 to KEF Q7 fronts and the result is awesome, if you have the facility then bi-amping is the way forward and for the same money

Also if you have tonally matched speakers throughout then it would make sense to maintain the same speaker cable throughout for consistency, if nothing else.

A

Anonymous

Mmmmm. I'm just a tad confused. Its easily done though
emotion-1.gif

Normal speaker cable is 2-2, bi-wire speaker cable is 2-4, and bi-amped speaker cable is 4-4

See the link below for an example of bi-wire/bi-amped cable.

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-carnival-silverscreen-biwire-speaker-cable-p-1971.html

My front speakers are bi-amped (according to the Amp user manual & the dealer I purchased them from). I have 2 speaker cables (Chord Rumour 4) both with 4 connections at each end (2 positive, 2 negative). One cable for the left speaker, one for the right.

These connect to the front and surround back speaker connections on the amp. The cable is then attached to the corresonding HF/LF terminal on the speaker. Are you saying rather than use 2 x 4-4 cables use 4 x 2-2 cables?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
barnsley dave

Yup, same page, slightly different spelling if you like

I have 2 x 2 to each of left and rightFront speakers, in each case 1 x 2 connected to surround back on the amp and the other 1 x 2 to the relevant Front speaker terminals on the amp.

So I guess we agree completely, just different approach.....................I think!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks all.
emotion-2.gif
My Tannoys have arrived and have spent the weekend installing new speaker cable - I have went down the BI AMP road and have used Chord carnival silverscreen for the fronts and Leyline for the center and rears. I just wanted to let you know that your info was greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts