Question Bi wire jumpers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
It’s another variable that may, or may not matter!

The dealer pair I borrowed were connected at the top, and I did the same when my own arrived. Then a few months later I bought the jumpers from the same guy as made up the cables. It’s quite possible the dealer chooses that method because it’s easier to reach - I wouldn’t assume it’s because of the optimum sound. Sometimes the practical and prosaic rule!

Arguably the treble is the most subtle sound, so might appreciate the first connection. As you imply, bass draws the most current so perhaps should come first. Diamond wiring would be another option to try, which theoretically is the most even-handed.

Diamond. That might be worth a try.
but thanks for clearing that up

D

Deleted member 188516

The connecting plates work fine. I don't know where these silly ideas originate from.

is it correct that if you have speakers with a single set of binding posts (kef ls50 meta for example) then the tweeter and woofer drive units are connected internally (inside the cabinet) via wire / cable and not a metal plate ?

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
is it correct that if you have speakers with a single set of binding posts (kef ls50 meta for example) then the tweeter and woofer drive units are connected internally (inside the cabinet) via wire / cable and not a metal plate ?

that’s been my trail of thought.. there has to be a difference between cable Vs solid plate.
as a guitarist vintage wiring with a solid core has a different tone to stranded cable

D

Deleted member 188516

that’s been my trail of thought.. there has to be a difference between cable Vs solid plate.
as a guitarist vintage wiring with a solid core has a different tone to stranded cable

its a way of tuning a speaker i have been told...

the difference (one of them) between the b&w 606 and 706 models is the internal wiring. (i used to work for a company that supplied b&w cables for this purpose about 20 years ago).

i think b&w use van den hul cables internally on the 706.

monitor audio also use (silver coated i believe) internal wiring - all done for a specific reason.

Reactions: danny-79
Yes, both drivers will typically have their own feed (wire) directly from the crossover. KEF actually don’t use metal plates on their bi- and Tri-wired speakers, as they prefer a metal turn knob, which obviously makes or breaks an internal connection. Google pics of the Reference series and you will see them.

D

Deleted member 188516

Type (speaker brand) Teardown into you tube and you will find plenty of videos that show you inside.

WARNING: If you believe bits of cable make a difference then don’t look as you will be shocked.

Bill

just done that interesting. but why do b&w use different / "better" cabling in the more expensive models, if, it does nothing as such ?

why do monitor audio use silver coated internal wiring and for their jumper cables (on some models i've seen) too ?

i have been told you can change the sound, both for better and for worse, by changing the internal cabling of loudspeakers.

here is bills video :-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQiGe0nprHA

Reactions: danny-79
just done that interesting. but why do b&w use different / "better" cabling in the more expensive models, if, it does nothing as such ?

why do monitor audio use silver coated internal wiring and for their jumper cables (on some models i've seen) too ?

i have been told you can change the sound, both for better and for worse, by changing the internal cabling of loudspeakers.

here is bills video :-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQiGe0nprHA
Who told you?
They can use gold plated whatever for that last few inches / feet of internal cable but it's not going to make a jot of difference if you have 20ft of bell-wire from your speakers to the amp.
The idea that that bit of wire is going to make a difference makes the whole idea of designing a complex crossover somewhat ridiculous.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188516

Who told you?
They can use gold plated whatever for that last few inches / feet of internal cable but it's not going to make a jot of difference if you have 20ft of bell-wire from your speakers to the amp.
The idea that that bit of wire is going to make a difference makes the whole idea of designing a complex crossover somewhat ridiculous.

somebody who designs, makes and modifies speakers...
(and, seriously, who uses 20 foot of bell-wire ?).

edit :- here is a video of, admittedly, cost no object speakers. at the 4min 20sec mark you see the internal cables used / "selected"...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVXex3U6_D8

Last edited by a moderator:

TrevC

the difference (one of them) between the b&w 606 and 706 models is the internal wiring. (i used to work for a company that supplied b&w cables for this purpose about 20 years ago).

monitor audio also use (silver coated i believe) internal wiring - all done for a specific reason.
You can vary the values of crossover components, you can change the driver specs or cabinet damping, but the idea that changing speaker sound with short bits of wire is possible is nonsense.

Last edited:

TrevC

They can quote it to impress the cable nonsense believers. It makes no difference of course.

matthewpiano

I've got some Atlas jumper cables. They make zero difference with any of the speakers I've tried them with (B&W 606, Mission 760iSE, MA Bronze 200, MA Silver 50).

If makers such as MA and B&W (for example) felt that simply replacing the normal jumper bars with cable was worthwhile they wouldn't compromise their product for the sake of something that would barely cost them anything.

D

Deleted member 188516

I've got some Atlas jumper cables. They make zero difference with any of the speakers I've tried them with (B&W 606, Mission 760iSE, MA Bronze 200, MA Silver 50).

If makers such as MA and B&W (for example) felt that simply replacing the normal jumper bars with cable was worthwhile they wouldn't compromise their product for the sake of something that would barely cost them anything.

monitor audio platinum pl200 2 - scroll down !

matthewpiano

D

Deleted member 188516

Perhaps it's simply part of exuding the feeling of luxury that a product of its price should offer.

true but they do it all the same. i actually think silver plaited links would look better.

TrevC

(At room temperature) silver is the best conductor of electricity, but gold doesn't tarnish.
You'd need plenty of silver polish to keep your links looking good.
Tinned copper is almost as good without the disadvantages. It's easy enough to compensate for the slightly worse conductivity by making the conductors slightly thicker.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Has it already been said that instead of expensive bi-wire jumpers, investigate spending that amount on doing bi-amping?

Or choosing this prevalent 2-to-4 type for bi-wiring:
pair-6ft-canare-4s11-star-quad-bi_1_838331e642fcf68021249ddae8ac6252.jpg

Of 2-to-4, I recall a friend had Monster's specially delineated treble, bass…

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts