Bi/Di pole speakers as front height drivers?

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Anyone care to comment on the desirability of using Bi/Di pole rear surround speakers as front height speakers in PLIIZ/Audessy XT formats? It would seem to me to be a good idea as the front heights only add atmosphere and extend the sound field. Any ideas or comments welcome.

Regards, Stefan.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Stefan, Sorry to say this but I don't think you need to spend money on a set of special bi/di pole speakers for use with the front height channels of your amp. These types of speaker are primarily for use as side or rear surrounds ( or both in a 7.1 system ), I think personally you would be better off with another pair of small Q acoustics mounted high up on the wall about a foot or more behind your main front speakers. I have done this with my 9.2 setup and found the effect to be great especially with films containing rain effects etc. As always, you have the final choice in what you decide to do but I hope this information helps.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Macdiddy, thanks for your reply. I am afraid that I did'nt explain myself properly and my signature is misleading. As yourself I have 2 Q Acoustics 1010i in a front height position (removed from the rear in a 7.1 set-up when whole design of the room changed) and I agree that effects such as rain fall, crowd noises in a large stadium and falling debris after an explosion sound really convincing. The reason for my post is that I am planning to change my speakers to Monitor Audio drivers and was wondering instead of placing BX1 or BX2 speakers up high at front whether I could use their RXFX bi/di pole speakers at the front as well as at the rear/sides. I don't know whether the sound would be too diverse or would it actually help the upper front soundstage. Any thoughts, advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stefan

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Stefan, thanks for replying to my post.

I am very new to posting on these forums so I have not yet set up my signature (is their a link showing you how to do it) so you wouldn't know that I actually run a complete set of Monitor audio BX speakers including BX6 for front left and right, a BX centre, two pairs of BXFX surround, two BXW10 subs and a pair of BX1 mounted on the ceiling for use as front height speakers. These are all running through a Onyko TX-NR818 with an extra power amp for the BX1's.

This as you can imagine creates a room filling sound with effects flying all over the place depending on the type of film I am watching. The BX1's are a great little speaker and sound much bigger than they are so in my setup they work great and I dont think I would change them for another pair of BXFX.

As I said before the final decision is up to you but I hope my post gives you someting to think about.

Yours

Mark.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi Stefan, you could use RXFX in bipole mode and they will work perfectly well as front height speakers. BX1's will also work fine and may be cheaper; however, if its the flush wall mounting of the RXFX units that appeals then there's no reason why you can't use them for this purpose.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mark and Mr. Malarkey. Thanks very much for your comments - plenty to think about.

Mark I am seriously jealous of your set-up but if I put that in my room there would be no space for the seats!

I would like to base my set-up on BX5, BXC, BXFX and BX1. The SW may not be MA but I will hang fire on that till up and running and sold my QA speakers.

Regards

Stefan

PS. Mark I think you can set up your signature in your profile page.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mark and Mr. Malarkey. Thanks very much for your comments - plenty to think about.

Mark I am seriously jealous of your set-up but if I put that in my room there would be no space for the seats!

I would like to base my set-up on BX5, BXC, BXFX and BX1. The SW may not be MA but I will hang fire on that till up and running and sold my QA speakers.

Regards

Stefan

PS. Mark I think you can set up your signature in your profile page.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts