Sacrificied 7.1 for bi-amping front speakers

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

Just thought I'd share my experiences with the above change to my modest system.

As the title suggests I disconnected my rear surround speakers in order to bi-amp the fronts and then recalibrated with an I-Phone SPL Meter app.

The result was very apparent with all sources, mostly to the advantage of stereo vinyl and CD playback (including SACD).

The separation of instruments, greater sound staging and a general improvement in clarity of vocals were immeadiately apparent but the greatest improvement was in the bass- I can now hear and follow bass notes much easier and they have much clearer definition.The treble has been made alot less sibilant with even Elaine Paige and Barbara Striesands vocals not "sussing" to the point of annoyance as before. Two albums that have been completely transformed are Eric Clapton - Unplugged and Eva Cassidy - Simply Eva.

The SACD of Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here is quite simply stunning to my ears - goodness only knows what it would sound like on more capable systems.

Blu ray playback effects have suffered slightly but it@s worth the sacrifice for the stereo/SACD playback gains.

All in all a great mod in my opinion.

Regards

Skiman.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I too have cut down although froma 5.1 to a 2.1 so i can enjoy the benfits of bi-ampinguntil i can get some bi wire speaker cable. Just cant seem to go back now.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi CnoEvil,

Just put my system in signature ( hope it works).

Previously I had the fronts biwired which made a slight difference but nothing like the bi-amping did.

BTW I only listen to stereo/SACD sources in Pure Audio mode.

Regards

Skiman

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Just a question for you Soopafly, Denon 2310 amp can't go up to 9.1?

I understand then bi-amp your 684's is a big avantage but dropping down an AV receiver to 2.1 look as maybe useless.

What I mean is in your case, you're been avantaged to buy a dedicated stereo amp.

I don't know if you're using a sub in your configuration cause your 684's don't really benefit it in your case.:shame:

Since we talking about compromise, if you want to get best of your actual kit, I suggest you to:

1. biwiring not bi-amp your 684's to get back 5.1

2. Clear from the backwall your 684's the more you cant.

3. Find a good position for your sub (if you have one)...and don't abuse on the volume of this one. (we all do this...but wrong)

4. THX or Audyssex configuration depend on your taste.

5. Resolve your HTM62 trouble. (Lean voice)

6. Listen Stereo music in direct mode not stereo mode so you gonna be able to have your 684's in full band without the sub.(you're 684's must perform better without sub in stereo listening).

Keep in mind then an AV receiver is not a Stereo amp. Biwiring will not give you results good as bi-amp your 684's. (less punchy)

But soundstage could gain and you will keep detailled sounds. By passing in direct mode then stereo, you're sure to be not limited by crossover in your front L&R but keep them in full band. 684's need space to breathe and room mode could be an issue. You need to limit your low frequecies as you can to keep it tight.

Feedback are appreciate!

Good day

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
No 9.1 im afraid. The 2.1 is only till the end of the month when i can get some chord biwire cable.Havent the the audessy setep as yet and already listen to music in pure direct mode. I would say that the 684' have space to breath and obviously will sorrt out the center speaker issue. when i say 2.1 its more like 3 forgot about the centre channel

A

Anonymous

Soopafly,

How are your crossovers setpoint now?

And I just misunderstand if you resolved your center channel problem???

Finaly, witch sub you have on your kit?

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hey Skiman & Soopafly49,

I'm thinking of bi-amping my 684 fronts on my av set up, but would like some advice/feedback:
Skiman Re: "Blu ray playback effects have suffered slightly" Can you quantify??Anyone else vouch for bi-amping having detrimental effect on blu-ray??Soopafly49, What cable did you use?Anyone else recommend 4-way bi-wire cable? I can budget for £150 - but may exceed if strong recommendations.Appreciate the feedback

Paul.

There is not really a good reson not to buy cable on eBay, then terminate yourself. I bought Chord Rumor 4 dirt cheap on eBay (I think I paid £17 for 3m unterminated, then cut it in half and added nakamichi plugs).

My Onkyo 805 sounds significantly better in biamp mode, noticeable in films but mostly in music.

Skiman

Nov 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi LXD55,

Having foresaken the rear surround speakers some of the atmosphere in tension laden Blu Rays is missing but the stereo gains

far outweigh the atmosphere loss. This is more noticeable on 7.1 encoded discs but not as apparent when watching 5.1 with EX

processing configured. An action movie (Transformers for instance) is actually more "beefier" during the action/explosion scenes.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Skiman

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Paul, thanks re tip for the cable - will check out eBay :),

Skiman, likewise - I only have 5.1 so should only see an improvement then.

Cheers guys for the prompt responses.

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Paul, thanks re tip for the cable - will check out eBay :),

Skiman, likewise - I only have 5.1 so should only see an improvement then.

Cheers guys for the prompt responses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts