bi-amping cambridge 640a v2 (need more volume)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Forgive me for disrupting and interjecting a comment here, but with the 640a, doesn't he already have the ability to bi-amp? True, it's not the "esoteric" way to to bi-amp since the signal will not be split prior to the amplification stage. Or, (assuming it's possible on the 640a) is he already utilizing that method?

By the way, I normally don't just jump right into threads as a new user to a forum, but I'm trying to get a better understanding of bi-amping myself AS WELL AS having interest in the Cambridge Audio 640a.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Let me rephrase. You're right, his first question revolves around adding an additional amplifier unit. Here's what he stated:

"1 either upgrade to the 840a (expensive ...but gives me an extra 45watts) and the option to bi-amp with my existing 640a

2 or bi-amp with another 640a or even a 540a"

What I'm asking is, since the 640a already comes with 2 sets of speaker terminals (i.e. speakers A, speakers B) couldn't he bi-amp using JUST his existing amplifier? In other words, running LEFT speaker A & B to the same left speaker, and running RIGHT speaker A & B to the same right speaker. Wouldn't that give him an extra 60 watts/channel reserve instead of going to the expense of buying another amplifier unit? I can't tell from his statements that he's currently bi-amping using only his 640a.

.....and forgive me if I, again, didn't understand the conversation or am re-hashing parts of the same. Thanks!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, that's biwiring, not biamping. The 640a only has two amplifier channels, so an external power amplifier or second integrated amp would be needed to biamp.

A

Anonymous

Ok......I think I have a light bulb coming on. It appears that I've been presuming from a false assumption. I assumed that, since the Cambridge Audio integrated amps allowed for 2 sets of speakers, that they in effect had discreet amplifiers not only for each channel, but for each set of speakers as well. So, given the 640a has 75wpc, does this mean that 75wpc applies whether he bi-wires or not? Additionaly, if someone actually runs 2 sets of speakers on the 640a, they effectively have only half the stated power in reserves per speaker set? If so, I now understand his issue.

Andrew Everard:murgord:the roksan candy amp seems to have 20 watts less power than the quad though?? ....surely less volume then?

Exactly.

I'm sorry - just trying to help. I've ploughed through a whfi mag and the Rotel power amps seem to hit the spot, output-wise, but I don't know what they sound like. Might be worth persuing.

A

Anonymous

what models on the rotel have power of 140 watts and above...bearing in mind I have a budget of £600 second hand.

murray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts