Bi-Amping - Bi-Wiring advice please

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

If the delivery guys are nice to me I should be a proud owner of new front l/r and centre Chord Silver Carnival terminated speaker cables to tidy the whole front set up of my kit.

I have a Sony DA5400es AV amp and PMC Speakers.

Will bi-wire the centre - fairly straight forward.

Front l/r - will bi-amp using the front l/r and rear l/r of the Sonys speaker set up. I have bought single pair speaker wires but with 4/4 terminated ends to keep it all tidy.

My question is - how do I get the best speaker set up to benefit my new cabling ?

Do I re-calibrate using the supplied eq mic - probably not because it may confuse the amp ? Or do it manually and if so how ?

This has been covered before but I can not remember what to do.

Input appreciated.

Ta.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
There should be a setting so you can assign your spare channels to bi-amping your fronts. After that, I don't see any problem with using the mic auto-setup. Unless you've had problems with it in the past it's a good place to start, and you can manually adjust from there, either by ear or with an SPL metre.

Hope your cable arrives today and you get to have some fun :)

A

Anonymous

sorry to hi jack this post, but I would like to know what bi-wiring and bi-amping is

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Some stereo amplifiers (like my old Cambridge Audio A4) have specific speaker terminals for low and high frequency output. Likewise a large number of speakers have two sets of input terminals to allow the high frequency signal from the amp to go directly to the tweeter and the low frequency signal to go straight to the woofer rather than letting the built the speakers built in crossover do the work. This is known as bi-wiring.

Bi amping works on a similar principle but rather than having the amplifier split the signals into low and high frequency, each frequency is being amplified seperately. In a stereo configuration you would use your main amplifier to feed signals to your speakers high frequency terminals and a seperate power amplifier to feed signals to the low frequency terminals.

These days a decent home cinema amplifier has 7 or more amplified channels and if you only use a 5.1 speaker setup you can utilise the spare channels on some models to bi-amp the front speakers of your setup.

(Hope I made sense :pray: )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts