Visit site
Hi, I need help wiring my new AV setup.

My AV setup is:

KEF Speakers: Q500 Front Speakers

Q200c Center Speakers

Q100 Rear Speakers

Q400 Subwoofer

AV receiver: Onkyo TX-NR1009

Question 1 - Is it worth it to bi-amp the front speakers? Will it improve the sound??

Question 2 - Can I bi-amp the center speaker (the center speaker have bi-amp input, yet not sure if my onkyo can bi-amp the center speaker)???

Question 3 - I am using 1.5 mm2 speaker wires is it sufficient? Or should I use thicker speaker wires??

Question 4 - Do long speaker cables affect subwoofer's bass sound???

Cheers, Omar Kakish

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Question 1 - Yes absolutely, you will give the speakers more power

Question 2 - Bi- Wire for center Bi-amps is for the fronts. Yes you can Bi-Wire the center.

Question 3 - Is not abouot the thickness, but the quality of the wire and sheilding etc (mine is thin and will out perform most thicker wires)

Question 4 - No, but you want to spend good money on this cable too.

Hope that helps

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
duaplex said:

Umm, no you won't.

My impression of bi-wiring was to keep the HF & LF frequencies seperate, therefore there should be an improvement in clarity. Bi-ambling is similar but allows seperate amplification / decoding within the AVR and should theoretically bring even better imagining and clarity.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was always under the impression that would be pumping more power as you feed the tweeter and woofer seperately. Now that you have me thinking about it, it does make sense that the power is not really increased!

In a bi-amped arrangement 4 logical mono-blocks are used to feed 4 logical speaker partitions (that happens when the bridges are removed) using dedicated links. While 2 of those 4 logical mono-blocks feed the hi frequency partitions of the respective speakers, the remaining 2 mono-blocks feed the low-frequency partitions of the 2 speakers.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
duaplex said:

Umm, no you won't.

bi amping will provide each drive in a speaker with a dedicated power amp and so the amplifier channels full power can be delivered to that driver as apposed to the amp channel power being split between 2 drivers. But you need 1 power amp channel per driver so for a stereo pair you need 4 amplifier channels, or 2 stereo amplifiers. you also need an active filter to split the line level signal before each amplifier channel. What are you using to do this.

A

Anonymous

markjaspi said:
My impression of bi-wiring was to keep the HF & LF frequencies separate, therefore there should be an improvement in clarity. Bi-ambling is similar but allows separate amplification / decoding within the AVR and should theoretically bring even better imagining and clarity.

Nah, with simply bi-wiring (2 wires off same amp), each wire on is carrying the exact same full range signal to the speakers. The crossover in the speakers will then split this into the HF & LF.

I believe what you're thinking about is an active bi-amping setup, where an active crossover sits between the pre-amp and the power amps, thus each amp only amplifies the HF or LF (and not both), then sending just the HF or LF to each speaker cone (thus removing the need for a crossover in the speakers).

The hybrid option is passive bi-amping, where you don't use an active crossover and two amps amplify the full range signal (HF and LF), then rely on the speakers cross over to split it. This can still give some improvements; each amp drives just one tweeter/cone, so has less load, not pushed as much and thus more headroom. Although active bi-amping still gives better results to passive bi-amping.

Monoblock'ing is another approach to bi-amping. Rather than splitting the load into HF/LF, you split it into Left/Right channels. Worth trying if you have two stereo power amp's than can be bridged into mono.

OK

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies and valuable information... I just finished building my home cinema setup...

I wired the front speaker (bi-amp wired) and didn't bi-amp the center speaker cause at the moment i cannot afford to buy another amp and from the results i don't think it's going to affect significantly the sound quality.

I am very impressed with the results my friends are very impressed with the sound quality...

Again thank you so much for your replies and time

Cheers :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts