Bi amp query

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
WHAT I'M CONSIDERING Is there any technical reason why it's a bad idea to bi amp using the 2 channels of one stereo power amp to feed the left speaker and the 2 channels of the other stereo power amp to feed the right speaker.
To my simple mind the only difference that strikes me is that when running hard they'll work better because the bass is less likely to run out of steam because it will be paired with an amp channel running high frequencies and so being less demanding of it's power reserves.

WHY I'M CONSIDERING THIS At present I'm using a pair of subs (one left, one right) and bi amped speakers (one bass/mid amp and one tweeter amp). The pre amp outs feed the 2 power amps and the subs directly. (Pre outs are phono and unbalanced XLR). ie. I'm not using the crossover in the subs to feed the power amps. My thinking here is to give the main speakers as clean a signal as possible. I've set the subs roll off frequency to be close to the main speaker roll on frequency and the slope does sound fairly smooth.
I've just moved furniture and reoriented my room by 90 degrees and the bass actually sounds tighter and deeper now. However, I can't fit everything into my stack any more. It strikes me that moving the power amps nearer the speakers would give me the room to fit my tuner and freeview box into the rack too. This would involve a longer signal cables to the power amps but shorter speaker cables. I could also experiment again with using the subs crossover to feed my bass/mid power amp, but now with much less cable involved.

There are many hours of fun and experimentation ahead yet, but I want some reassurance that I'm not crazy in considering a left bi amp/ right bi amp configuration though. I've never heard of this in the hi fi world, only in the active studio monitor world.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, that should work very well indeed. For preference I'd always go for a system where one power amp runs treble and the other bass, but given your requirements I think this is a very workable solution.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reassurance. After some experimentation I've found this not to be a workable solution at present. Using a pair of medium quality 5m y type interconnects between my Exposure pre and power amps introduced an audible hum. Using a passive Creek preamp fixed this but it lacks the inputs I need. I tried using my Exposure as a line switch running a tape out into the Creek passive but the hum was back again. Curious that one. So it's back to a conventional wiring for the moment. Is there any hope a more expensive cable may help?

A

Anonymous

I didn't realise amplifiers had sexual requirements. All this talk of bi-amping and passive pre-amps has made me not want to listen to the hifi anymore - I mean, I don't want my amps to get turned-on... :-/

TRENDING THREADS